PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a More power 440?

nakomis0
04-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Any ideas to make my quad faster? We have a few bets going on this year. And theres a few guys I know are gonna have around 45-48hp. I only have 43hp.

I'm gonna do the basic prep. Make sure its gonna roll as easly as possible. Bearings, chain, carrier, etc. But I'm looking for something else.

Any ideas? All my mods are in my sig.. I think I'm maxed out. I don't want to go stroker until this stock blows up.

I don't wanna go meth cause I trail ride and don't want the carb conversion hassle.

I have my nitrous, thats my ace in the hole. But its not always there power, and its not reliable .. its going to be 30hp shots and anymore than a dozen shots of that and your risking blowing up a crank.

So any ideas for speed under a $350 budget?

By the way this is only $20 bets between a group of friends. 2- 250r's, stock yfz450, 660 raptor piped, piped banshee, and a predator, plus my 400ex... at $20 a piece thats $140 up for grabs.:)

1fst400
04-17-2006, 08:38 AM
do them e-series exausts make good power? I dono..

mabie a programible cdi box.

aviator4
04-17-2006, 09:15 AM
You might consider a timing advance key from Sparks, 5 degrees makes a difference. However, I've heard that they break easier than that the stocks.

You might also try the MSD High output ignition. I don't know what kinds of HP gain you'll get from it, but apparently it makes a difference.

Truthfully, you've got all the big mods done. You're gettin' close to max HP.

You might also try going with a 16T front sproket. It may be a little tall though but with a 440 I'd try it. I'm running a 16T on my 460 Stroker and it's just about right. You could also gown down a tooth or two on the rear instead May be a better option.

Don't konw what pressure you're running in your haulers. You might want to lower the pressure to 2-3 lbs to get a better holeshot. I am assuming that 43HP is without the nitrous, right? I 30HP shot seems awfull big for 11:1. You're pushing the stock crank.. be carefull.

MIKE400EX
04-17-2006, 11:15 AM
You might gain 2 or so HP from an 04-05 TRX450 carb or a 41 mm FCR, w/o sacrificing much lower RPM torque. You could go to a longer duration cam from WEB but you'd lose some of the broad powerband that the 479 is great for. I'm using the "agressive" CDI that C&D sells - it made a very noticeable difference and the extra RPM's up top don't hurt either. How about some "mixed" gas? If you're not maxing out your speed when racing then try a smaller front sprocket. An 8 plate clutch would help too. Do you have a FST style aux. cooler - that'll prevent much of the heat soak losses. Just some thoughts.

K_Fulk
04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
MSD ignition and a 41mm fcr were gonna be my recomendations.

That and more compression, but you can do that if you stroke it down the road.

underpowered
04-17-2006, 12:15 PM
more compression would help, a bigger carb, different cam, a better pipe (sparks, Gt thunder, TC, ect..) oxygenated gas (requires rejetting), a better clutch as you may be losing a pony or two due to clutch slippage, Spot on jetting done with a sniffer.

nakomis0
04-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I forgot about the clutch. Thats a good idea.

Clutch I'm doing for sure. I been saying I wanted to do something to that for awhile. Forgot I wanted to do that. :)

Carb wouldn't be a bad option either but those are pricy.

Maybe I'll take a look at the porting. It was done long before I had any idea of what a good port should look and feel like.

Sounds like I might find a pony or 2 out of them adjustments.

I did have the sparks degree key in. It advanced my timing to far with the WB cdi box. It would not start. If I used the stock cdi it would start. I liked the higher rpms, than the advance. SO took the degree key off.

MSD ignition would also be killer. And I think I could control the timing for the nitrous with that. I think its out of my priuce range but I'll see.