PDA

View Full Version : 300ex tranmission help?

jame
04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
My 300ex has delevoped a shifting issue. 1st to 2nd hits neutral probaly 50% of the time. Pull up again and it goes right in to 2nd. Used to just barely raise up and in neutral now can raise it all the way and no 2nd until shifted again. What has happened and what will need to be done to fix it? Drained the oil no metal flake and all the gears hold just fine. Does not do this on the down shift. Thanks Jame

jame
04-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Surely some one has had this problem - I just checked again in the garage - used to be able to shift to second no problem - actually was hard some times to find neutral. Now goes straight to N have to roll forward then goes right in to 2nd. I do not want to take apart now if I do not have to, but also do not want to damage any thing further. Need some advise and a direction to go.

Aceman
04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Everything to do with the transmission is in the center cases. So you can't even get away with popping a side cover off to work on it. I don't know what would cause that other than tearing it down completely and looking for the problem. Which it sounds like is your only option at this point. Not terribly hard to tear those engines down, just time consuming.

Sjorge450R
04-17-2006, 04:38 AM
mabey the shift forks are bent. or mabey just one of them. Just a thought. Do what ^^^ said. Shouldnt be too hard once you open it up to find out what is wrong with it.

Cody_300ex
04-17-2006, 05:30 AM
You have grooves in your clutch basket. I'd reccommend you take your whole clutch assembly out and file the grooves out of the basket. Order new steels and fibers. Then get your clutch hub pressure plate, clutch hub and your steel plates trued and balanced. Should'nt cost to much and will help your shifting tremendosly!

jame
04-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys I'm starting to thing the shift drum is the cause - feels like not reaching a detent when shifting. I am going to ride it for now and keep a look out of a spare engine to build in the mean time. That way I can just swap and not have much down time.

Cody_300ex
04-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by jame
Thanks guys I'm starting to thing the shift drum is the cause - feels like not reaching a detent when shifting. I am going to ride it for now and keep a look out of a spare engine to build in the mean time. That way I can just swap and not have much down time.

Might wanna try what I said, helped considerably on my 300.