PDA

View Full Version : can i get this thing out!?

redrider311
04-16-2006, 06:09 PM
i had noticed when i was riding that my kickstart lever adn extension had fallen off .. so i went back and picked up what i could find which was just the lever and the extension.. what i need to know is if the bolt that is broken off inside here can just be drilled out and replaced with a new one or what kind of trouble am i in?
this is a pic of the engine minus the kickstart...

2004exrider
04-16-2006, 06:11 PM
resize the pic, it wont come up:)

Jimmy

redrider311
04-16-2006, 06:33 PM
sorry.. ok well heres the first pic smaller...

redrider311
04-16-2006, 06:34 PM
ok and heres a closer shot of where the bolt is broken off inside...

theTman
04-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by redrider311
ok and heres a closer shot of where the bolt is broken off inside...

looks like you could drill it out

EXevan91
04-16-2006, 06:43 PM
ah u need a new one the shaft that the bolt is in u need to go buy a new one.

GPracer2500
04-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, one way or another you can get that out. First thing I'd try is to put a big flat blade screwdriver on it. If there is anything (a ridge or something?) to grab onto then you may be able to back it out that way.

If that doesn't work then drilling a smallish hole in the center might allow you to punch a phips head screwdriver onto it; thus providing the traction needed to back it out.

I've found that sometimes when drilling out a broken bolt like that, reversing the drill bit in the drilled hole and adding a little sideways pressure will back them out.

If none of those things works, there are other ways...

AtvMxRider
04-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Take a small punch and a hammer and just try turning it out.

redrider311
04-16-2006, 07:10 PM
alright thanks guys.. my only worry was that if i took that bolt out something else would come loost internally.. but i will try to back it out tommorow..

can i get a new bolt at the harware store or am i going to need to special order it? remember it has that kicker extension on it so it is not stock length...

thanks guys,
mark

bradrenea
04-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500

I've found that sometimes when drilling out a broken bolt like that, reversing the drill bit in the drilled hole and adding a little sideways pressure will back them out.

To add to that.... If you have a crappy drill bit that you don't mind ruining.... drill a small hole in the center of the bolt. Next, take the next size bigger drill bit and resharpen it backwards- so that it cuts while in reverse. Start drilling it in reverse with the reverse sharpened bit and the bit should catch and screw it right out of there.
Just don't use a tiny bit or it could break off in the bolt and then you will be swrewed.

1fst400
04-16-2006, 07:47 PM
or buy an easy out kit.

go to a hardware store and start sorting throu the metric bolts. there should be one that will work.

Aceman
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
My favorite trick of all time is to weld a washer to the broken bolt. Find a washer with a hole roughly the same size as the bolt, hold it flat to the broken bolt and tack weld the inside of the washer to the bolt. Now tack weld a nut onto the washer. Put a wrench on it and turn it out. I know this procedure takes more time but for those really siezed bolts it works great. It's almost guaranteed to work right the first time, no messing around with reverse drill bits that might not work. When it's important and you have to get the bolt out do it right the first time.

aviator4
04-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Good idea, but it doesn't look like there's anything for him to weld to. It's broken off inside the shaft.

I say easy-out. Get a GOOD set, those cheap ones won't do crap. If all else fails, drill it.

The ol' punch-and-hammer trick may work, but you run the risk of messin' the threads up inside, and you're gonna need 'em once you get that piece of bolt out.

prepracing
04-16-2006, 08:31 PM
EZ out bolt extractor assited by some heat from a torch will be the best way to get it out

ss440ex
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Use a center punch or a punch to stake the center of the broken
bolt.
So you can drill it straight.
If it was recently installed you should`nt need any heat,its close
to the seal also.
Good luck.

AtvMxRider
04-17-2006, 01:47 PM
There is no need to drill or easy out anything. I bet you that it will come out will a hammer and punch.

jeremy_283
04-17-2006, 04:48 PM
use the "grabit" or somthin similar search "grabit" on google ........... definently try that first .......... i think u will be fine ........ if u end up havin to drill it out and u ruin the threads just rethread it or use a heli coil........ definently dont just go buyin a new shaft