PDA

View Full Version : alky ?

killen them all
04-16-2006, 04:15 PM
i am going to be running alky in my raptor what all do i need to do i dont really know anything about it

Iliketogofast
04-16-2006, 04:42 PM
You have to change the jets in your carb.

Warnerade
04-16-2006, 05:11 PM
you have to put starter fluid in the cylinder before each ride.

400exstud
04-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Not sure about this but don't you have to get new carbs, and drain all of the lines before you put it away because it will eat the lines and crap.

killen them all
04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
yeah i just bought a brand new dp 48mm lectron carb with dual power jets dennis said it is a alky carb

i just really dont undersand the purdgeing and what i have to change after every ride

and will i be able to ride in the dunes still

Plante400
04-16-2006, 07:03 PM
if you dont know anything about it then dont do it.

killen them all
04-16-2006, 07:04 PM
yeah buti want to do it and thats why im asking so can leurn about it

400exrules
04-16-2006, 07:37 PM
if you dont know anything about it, then its not for you. goto a drag strip, yes a drag strip, not some ghetto sand drags with no organization. but goto a real drag strip and talk to people and learn about it. You cant just change the jets, you have to send your carb off and get it built for alky, or buy an alky carb. And you have to like purge it with gas or somethin as soon as your done racin so that condensation and crap wont form in there and mess crap up

and its very expensive. it seems that you just fart around in the dunes and dont go to any organized drag racing, so alky really isnt for you

trx400exxracer
04-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
if you dont know anything about it, then its not for you. goto a drag strip, yes a drag strip, not some ghetto sand drags with no organization. but goto a real drag strip and talk to people and learn about it. You cant just change the jets, you have to send your carb off and get it built for alky, or buy an alky carb. And you have to like purge it with gas or somethin as soon as your done racin so that condensation and crap wont form in there and mess crap up

and its very expensive. it seems that you just fart around in the dunes and dont go to any organized drag racing, so alky really isnt for you

I am sure at one point Bill Balance didn't know about XC racing but he learned about it and now he is the 6 time champ

and you dont even know this dude so how can you talk to him like that

killen them all
04-16-2006, 07:44 PM
i just bought aalky carb from dp its a lectron with dual power jets so i have to run alky and i race for money at the sand drags

but as for the carbs needing to be jetted and set up for alky the carb is all set up for it

and how much hp do i get out of alky then 110 octane

killen them all
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
how hard is alky on the motor when oil is changed after every ride

<DRS>GPF
04-17-2006, 05:48 AM
google is our friend..

http://www.ctracing.com/alcohol.htm

if you do convert to alcohol/methanol, make sure you have plenty of time for upkeep and dont expect to trail ride every weekend with it..

IMO, theres alot you can do to it while on pump gas and if you get to that edge and need more, the transition to the next level wont be so extreme..

good luck

1fst400
04-17-2006, 08:28 AM
at one point I was going to run it in my 400ex. These ppl are making it sound like it is bad. It realy isnt.

basicly it is finicky to tune. it takes a good 15min of playing with carb adjustments to get it right.

It is safer on your motor. thats right, alky allows the engine to run at much cooler temps and can withstand higher comp than gasoline.

When your are done riding for the day it is good to have like a water bottle ful of gas/ wd40 mix. just take a gas line and run it into the water bottle then hook it to the carb. hold the water bottle up higher than the carb and start er up.

alky draws in moisture, so if you where to leave it in your motor it could potentially sieze the motor.

Special oil is needed, regular oil and alky dont do good with each other. It will work, but I was told that other oils are better mix. I have run "thor oil" in my go kart that run on alky.

Your throttle control will be history, this is why I dident swap my quad over. Drag racing only. You motor will want to be either off or wide open. anywhere inbetween it tends to load up and stall.

Running on alky doesent make power in itself, but it does allow you to run you motor more on the edje than you would be allowed with gas.

Akly also allows you to run nitro methane. nitro = fast.