PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacers

416 racer
04-16-2006, 01:33 PM
im getting wheell spacers and im wondering if the can take big time abuse like rough trails and jumps

RangerRick
04-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I heard they can contribute to snapping your axle but I have no first hand experence.

Def-e-nition
04-18-2006, 09:55 AM
mmm.. spacers are a bit of a touchy subject .

Most people i know , use em . It makes the bike wider , which obviuosly makes it corner nicer . the tendency to roll over is reduced , the negative of that being that it places a bit more stress on your axle , and , in front , your a-arms .

Bikes are designed to specific measurements ,and front track widths .

I have been warned about widening a bikes track , though I doubt very much it will break your rear axle , perhaps bend it , but also again - not unless youare pulling off Travis pestrana-style jumps .

i have ordered myself a set of rear spacers , as at speed , im having a little trouble keeping the rear in line going quickly around corners . i would recommend spacing front and rear , although they tell me it makes the turning a little less sharp .

Putting on spacers is no different to maybe fitting a longer rear axle .Widening the bike simply makes it corner better at high speed .The bike handles better also , when you running Full tilt , on a gravel road .

underpowered
04-18-2006, 11:17 AM
They are OK for the rear, But i would not run them up from. your wheel bearings will wear quicker, it will handle worse sue the extra leverage on the steering components, and you will be more prone to break things. The will be the weak point of any setup, simply not as stong as one solid piece such as a longer axle or extended A-arms. i would advise against them, but it is up to you.

04-18-2006, 12:12 PM
my spacers are holding up so far and i flat land at 15ft air. only snapped axle so far. crj spacers are the strongest ones made.
full spacers are no stronger than twist ons their just weigh more.

ill sell one set of crj 3 inch spacers for $25 to you

400exMO
04-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
Putting on spacers is no different to maybe fitting a longer rear axle
But the reason you get a longer axle compared to spacers is because the extra leverage that's going on. In the rear, it will probably bend the axle, and in the front it will kill your bearings. Save the money and but aftermarket parts, you get what you pay for.

Def-e-nition
04-19-2006, 12:43 AM
true .

04-19-2006, 06:54 AM
didnt kill my bearings yet. had the spacers on the front sinse november 2002 but i run hardkor hubs which might be why im not having bearing problums. the only real thing you have to wory about is the axle breaking because it will happen. the front you dont realy have to worry about. most the stress is put on the rear.

what i would do is instead of spending like 1 or 2 hundred on spacers i would buy a dimond j coustoms frame mount extender kit. it makes your front i think 4.5-6 inches wider depending on what you want. im thinking of doing that so i feel safer because when ever i fly off a big jump or hit a jump fast im always thinking about what if my spendle breaks or sumthing because breaking a spendle is not pritty thing.