PDA

View Full Version : 98 Custom Barrel

Rider-trx_250ex
04-16-2006, 01:33 PM
my tippman 98 custom is a great gun but the shooting i do requires alot of accuracy and is sometimes at a distance, which the ball cannot make. i wanna get an aftermarket barrel. anyone have any suggestions on which brand or like a 1 piece or a numerous piece and why? what should i look for in a barrel? what other parts can i get for it to make the gun perform better. im more than likely getting a lighter rear bolt. lets see a pic of ur marker

quads14589
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
i have 2 tippmans and i got a 14 inch and a 16 inch barrel and they work very good and accurate

Rider-trx_250ex
04-16-2006, 02:16 PM
here's a pic

quads14589
04-16-2006, 02:19 PM
yep i got a silver and black there good guns.

Rico400
04-16-2006, 02:21 PM
14" Black CP barrel

wckedclownz69
04-16-2006, 02:56 PM
lol my friend has one with a really really really long barrel and he shot my under the arm and DAMN did it hurt...from a really far distance

04-16-2006, 03:05 PM
i had one and i put a 16in wisper barrel on it

Iliketogofast
04-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Get the long Boomstick barrel. I have one - it will make the distance. They're sniper barrels.

WheelieMan4
04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
ive got a 14" Whisper Barrel, works awesome!!

TRX_450
04-16-2006, 03:15 PM
thunderpigs are the longest barrel i know of...a friend has a 21" on his and wow that thing shoots far.....i have a 16" FREAK with a choke tube in it i belive its .690 but im not sure...i can get pics if u want them

atvRiDa400ex
04-16-2006, 03:16 PM
i used to have a boomstick! i liked but some people dont!

quads14589
04-16-2006, 03:18 PM
whisper barrels r good u cant even hear them fire there so quiet

04-16-2006, 03:20 PM
i have a 98 custom with a 21" barrell off of ebay...

i can stand from my house, aim for a little tin can in the woods about 200 yards away and nail it...haha it explodes

the barrell is so sick, completly accurate.

its a 3 piece...got it off ebay

i'd reccommend the company, it seems good

quads14589
04-16-2006, 04:04 PM
ya i got one off ebay to and stole one from myfriend

04-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by atvRiDa400ex
haha i have my first ever gun! -Black maxx and my other one- Spider E99 avant!! LOL i know they suck
black maxx

sweet dude!

no one cares :macho

PolarisRider
04-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
thunderpigs are the longest barrel i know of...a friend has a 21" on his and wow that thing shoots far.....i have a 16" FREAK with a choke tube in it i belive its .690 but im not sure...i can get pics if u want them

A 21" barrel will shoot as far as a 14" or 16", if not shorter. People think the longer the barrel is, the further it goes and more accuarate it is. This is not true, in fact it could be worse.

I have a 14" Smart parts barrel on my tippman 98c, and i love it. Great barrel

i think the boomstick barrels are too expensive, but thats just me.

chigger
04-16-2006, 05:32 PM
I have two 98s. One I have modded extensively. The stock barrel sucks. I have had 3 aftermarket barrels on mine. I used the Tippmann Flatline. I loved the distance it added but you will find that it is hard to adjust correctly, any spike in air pressure affects it tremendously, and it slows down the ball alot. I also used a jj ceramic. I liked it, but nothing has compared to the dye im using now. They cost alot, but they are well worth it. Ive got the DYE Ultralight. This and the DYE Boomstick seem to work great for me and my buddies. They shoot straight as an arrow and clean themselves really well. Length does not affect acuracy past about 8-10 inches, maybe shorter. Anything past that just slows down the ball (but of course speed can be changed by adjusting air pressure). I use a 14. It looks kool, and I can use it to push things and to move weeds when im playing woods ball. If your playing speed ball I recomend somthing shorter than this.

There is a ton of stuff to do to your 98. A barrell will help you tremendously, but its not gonna fix your problems. If you want great accuracy, you need consistancy. If you run co2, which I would image you do. You can add an expansion chamber to your tippmann for 50 bucks that will help consistancy in co2 alot. It allows the co2 to expand and turn to a complete gas rather than having liquid in it. Overall CO2 is not a great gas to run. Compressed air is much more consistant. Your tippmann will run compressed air with no trouble, but if you decide to go this route, you can also get a low pressure kit for 100 bucks. With the LP kit and Comp air, you will have basically no spikes in air pressure and your accuracy will be dead on with some of the top end markers. Its just more expensive to get tanks for, and many people can get co2 easier, so its your choice on what you wanna run.

If you have any more questions about certain upgrades to your tippy, pm me. I have the reponse trigger and a few other things added. Ive also got a nice one running on co2 that I would like to sell. Maybe you would be interested. Would save you the labor of installing all the upgrades ive got on it. Its got the RT, dye ultralight, expansion chamber, metal power tube. New bolt. Its got a dropforward now, dont think its in the pic ima put on there. Its got a 12v revvy with an xboard and a 5 finger iimpellar. The gun does really well. It shoots as straight as anything will on c02 and its fast as hell. (response trigger fires itself under your finger pressure.) I chronoed it at 18bps with some fine tuning, compressed air, and a halo on top.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/chigger81/IM000032resize.jpg

pastfast125
04-16-2006, 05:42 PM
hey, random question. When I move, I'll be learning how to use my uncles lathe and milling machine and what not, and I'd like to get ahold of a gun. I'd like to try to make a custom barrel on the lathe just for chits and giggles. What is the inside design of th ebarrel like? Are there any like special things in there I should now about? I've seen barrels with holes drilled in the end of em, what does that do to affect the gun? Thanks.

PolarisRider
04-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
hey, random question. When I move, I'll be learning how to use my uncles lathe and milling machine and what not, and I'd like to get ahold of a gun. I'd like to try to make a custom barrel on the lathe just for chits and giggles. What is the inside design of th ebarrel like? Are there any like special things in there I should now about? I've seen barrels with holes drilled in the end of em, what does that do to affect the gun? Thanks.

you can try it, but it would have to be PERFECT and really really smooth. The slightest imperfection will **** it up

pastfast125
04-16-2006, 05:53 PM
oh yea I know. I figure it would take me a few tries to get something acceptable.

chigger
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
The holes are needed for accuracy and to keep from choping them when you shoot fast. They let gas escape. In front of and between balls I believe, but im no expert. I would buy one lol. Mine is powdercoated, so if your gonna paint somthing thick on there you need to compensate. I guess you could just bore yourself one and leave it bare metal. .68 calibur. :D

Rider-trx_250ex
04-16-2006, 06:20 PM
so a 10, 12, 14, or a 16+ inch barrel to narrow the field down?

quads14589
04-16-2006, 06:26 PM
go on to ebay and look up tippman barrels and go from there.

PolarisRider
04-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
so a 10, 12, 14, or a 16+ inch barrel to narrow the field down?

12-14, which ever

Blue250X
04-16-2006, 07:40 PM
ok, im gunna set some things straight here, no matter how long your barrel is past about 10 inches, you WILL NOT shoot further than any other barrel w/o puting a backspin (flat line) on the ball. if a paintball comes out of a 10 inch barrel at 300fps (feet per second) and a paintball comes out of a 16 inch barrel at 300 fps, they both go equal distance in perfect conditions (no winds, or anything that can affect the ball). so anyone that says "my freind has this barrel thats long and can shoot really far" when not talking about the flatline, is complete bs, the barrel does not determine the distance (once again, not the flatline). and whoever said a boomstick is a sniper barrel is wrong, while a boomstick can be used as a "sniper" barrel, it is more commonly used in speedball tourneys. and the flatline may increase distance, but after so long, the ball will slow down so much, it usually bounces off anyone anyway. so, to answer the question of what barrel, there are many good barrels out there, but accuracy mostly depends on paint to barrel match, when you drop a paintball down your barrel, you dont want it to fall teh whole way through, but you want to try to blow it out, and if it comes out easily, it is a good match. this should be all you need to find out what you want in a barrel, if you have any more questions, PM me

300ex13
04-16-2006, 08:03 PM
i dont think they are much worth it on tippys but if you but a barrel kit...i got a Evile PIPE for my autococker for 60 bux brand new, and they are the way to go IMO they have differnt backs for different sizes of painbt and they at fairly quiet. as for a barrel that will go the distance a Flatline is good but dont expect it to bust everytime your shooting from great distance, i have caught countless balls shot from a flatline. always make sure you guys adjust your velocity b/c if you are ove 300fps you can crack you lens to your mask. the ball will go fathere but it isnt worth the saftey risk of putting out and eye.

300ex13
04-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
ok, im gunna set some things straight here, no matter how long your barrel is past about 10 inches, you WILL NOT shoot further than any other barrel w/o puting a backspin (flat line) on the ball. if a paintball comes out of a 10 inch barrel at 300fps (feet per second) and a paintball comes out of a 16 inch barrel at 300 fps, they both go equal distance in perfect conditions (no winds, or anything that can affect the ball). so anyone that says "my freind has this barrel thats long and can shoot really far" when not talking about the flatline, is complete bs, the barrel does not determine the distance (once again, not the flatline). and whoever said a boomstick is a sniper barrel is wrong, while a boomstick can be used as a "sniper" barrel, it is more commonly used in speedball tourneys. and the flatline may increase distance, but after so long, the ball will slow down so much, it usually bounces off anyone anyway. so, to answer the question of what barrel, there are many good barrels out there, but accuracy mostly depends on paint to barrel match, when you drop a paintball down your barrel, you dont want it to fall teh whole way through, but you want to try to blow it out, and if it comes out easily, it is a good match. this should be all you need to find out what you want in a barrel, if you have any more questions, PM me

you hit the nail on the head bud. although the length doesnt matter for accuracy it does matter a very slight bit. if you have every watched a 'pro' speedball game or a 'team' that knows what theyre doing then you will commonly see the fronts with smaller barrels so they can play tighter and they dont need the distance, and the backmen have usually 16's so they can reach the length of the field. the length doesnt affect the accuracy but very little on distance. if you want you marker more accurate and shoot a little farther you'll need to upgrade the internals a.k.a. bolt,springs,ect

TRX_450
04-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by PolarisRider
A 21" barrel will shoot as far as a 14" or 16", if not shorter. People think the longer the barrel is, the further it goes and more accuarate it is. This is not true, in fact it could be worse.

I have a 14" Smart parts barrel on my tippman 98c, and i love it. Great barrel

i think the boomstick barrels are too expensive, but thats just me.

i wouldnt ever buy a 21" barrel...i wont ever buy anything over 16" simply because you lose velocity with anything bigger

Rider-trx_250ex
04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
how would i decide what size barrel i want since the size of the barrel does not increase distance?

300ex13
04-16-2006, 09:21 PM
if your looking for distance the Flatline would do, but for the majority of ballers the flatline is too big and will get in the way, and are not made for any gun other than a tippy and one type of autococker back when. i would recommend a barrel kit Evil, Redz, Stiffi (i dislike the freak b/c the inserts are not the best idea, make sure the backs are actual backs and not interchangeable inserts.) but the kits are a little more pricey but compaire the $ for a flatline and the $ for a barrel kit they are close in price. i choose a kit with 5 backs so that way you kno u have a good paint/barrel match.

PolarisRider
04-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by 300ex13
if your looking for distance the Flatline would do, but for the majority of ballers the flatline is too big and will get in the way, and are not made for any gun other than a tippy and one type of autococker back when. i would recommend a barrel kit Evil, Redz, Stiffi (i dislike the freak b/c the inserts are not the best idea, make sure the backs are actual backs and not interchangeable inserts.) but the kits are a little more pricey but compaire the $ for a flatline and the $ for a barrel kit they are close in price. i choose a kit with 5 backs so that way you kno u have a good paint/barrel match.

Before i quit paintball, i was reading in a magazine about the new APEX barrel. It was said it put a backspin on the ball just like flatline only it gave more distance. If you want distance, and play strict woodsball id give it a try. If any of you current players tried this and dont like it please tell me, as i have only had experience with the flatline.

PolarisRider
04-17-2006, 06:41 AM
and this is just some more info about lengths

This is from pbreview.com

A barrel needs at least 8 inches of unported material to reach its maximum velocity. Anything else beyond 8 inches is just to help quiet down the ball with porting or other random things.

The way that a ball bounces around the barrel or drags against the inside of the barrel can have a profound effect on velocity fluctuations. Ball will touch the sides unevenly sometimes and drag will slow the ball down. The longer the barrel is, the more pronounced these fluctuations can be.
For this reason, a shorter barrel will have less velocity fluctuation than a longer one.

Blue250x just basically sumed it up in a nut shell
;)

ballisticpb
04-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by PolarisRider
Before i quit paintball, i was reading in a magazine about the new APEX barrel. It was said it put a backspin on the ball just like flatline only it gave more distance. If you want distance, and play strict woodsball id give it a try. If any of you current players tried this and dont like it please tell me, as i have only had experience with the flatline.

the APEX barrel is not an easy thing to work with.. it has a sleave on the front that can adjust the shot from a back spin like a flat line to a side spin to try to "bend" the shot around corners.. interesting concept... does not work well... it takes ALOT of adjustments to get the ball to go where you think it should... and not practical to adjust in the middle of a game.

as for the original post.. i would sugest a CP 14" one piece barrel... a question that no one has asked yet is what paint are you shooting? where will you mostly be playing?
if you are mostly a forest and deep woods guy i would sugest the 16" reason behind it is: you can then stick your barrel thru bushes and get a clear shot.. if you play more speedball style i would say the longest you should go is a 14" i run a 10" to 12" cp depending on where on the field i am playing.

good luck
any more questions feel free to ask

Blue250x: you were right on in your post... paint to barrel match gives you accuracy not length...