PDA

View Full Version : help it wont run

crouse267
08-01-2002, 03:34 PM
ok i just got done instaling a white bros. high compression kit witha standred bore and new cam. i put every thing in and set the valve timing adjusted the valve clearance. i have every thing torqued down. and the damn thing wont run:grr all it does is it cranks and if you keep the throttle at like a 1/4 in it will fire.
crank crank booob crank booom crank crank boom kinda like that. could i have the cam in 180 off? please help?

JhallettEX
08-01-2002, 03:39 PM
You could be 180 out, also do you remember putting the plunger and plunger spring back into the head before installing the cam?

Honda4ooEX
08-01-2002, 03:44 PM
All you have to do is point the lobes on the cam down. And line up the index lines on the sprocket right? How could he be 180 degress off? I was told that you need to hold the chain tight when you install the cam and sprocket. The timing seems like its easy to me is their something I don't know? Do you have to have the crank set at top dead center when sliding the cylinder over the piston?

crouse267
08-01-2002, 03:54 PM
does the plunger and spring control the automatic compression relise dosnt it? the sheet on the cam said to take that out :confused: any other ideas?

Honda4ooEX
08-01-2002, 04:28 PM
did u take it out the sping and plunger?

crouse267
08-01-2002, 04:36 PM
is it the little rod on the cam sprocket side that is down it the head its about 3/4 of an inch long?

JhallettEX
08-01-2002, 04:39 PM
No, it is actually in the head, look at you manual, they are pointed out.

Honda4ooEX
08-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Their is a spring and a pin did you take anything out of the head before you installed everything? In other words (did you remove the spring and pin?) I am guessing not if you are asking what it is. Check your cam, the sping might be ground up.

crouse267
08-01-2002, 04:45 PM
ya that spring and pin isint that what inguages the auto compression reliese?

Leo
08-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by JhallettEX
You could be 180 out, also do you remember putting the plunger and plunger spring back into the head before installing the cam?

The motor can't be 180 out... It fires every revolution....

If you did try to put it together 180 out it would be a pain to get the vavle cover on, you'd probably wind up breaking / strippng a bolt..

The first thing I'd do is pop the valve cover back off (the stock metal gasket is re-usable) and double check the camshaft timing..

Leo

crouse267
08-01-2002, 06:57 PM
the timing is all right the cam sheet says that it dosnt use the decompresser. so i took out the pin and spring. i put the clutch thing on the cam and the other thing that looks like a lob. so should i take the clutch out or should i put the pin back in even though is says it dosint use it

JhallettEX
08-01-2002, 07:01 PM
What cam are you using? If you are not using the decompressor the only thing you put back on the cam is the flange (what the sprockets bolts on to) if you put anything else back on with it you need to take it all off and start over.

crouse267
08-01-2002, 07:03 PM
im using the white bros cam ok after i get off work ill go tear it down and try that.

08-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Question?
When you lined the cam sprocket marks up with the head (cam lobes down of course) was the third mark on the sprocket straight up? I've put it on upside down myself (too many people helping) and that throws the cam timing out substantially. Your problem sounds kinda familiar.

MIKE400EX
08-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Do you have an advance key installed? If so your cam timing marks will not line up exactly when the flywheel timing marks are lined up. If you do have a key in there, (assuming it's installed correctly), set the flywheel mark so that it is about a quarter of an inch past (ccw) the reference mark on the case. That should put your piston very close to "true" TDC and now you can check the cam timing. It's also a good idea to only take the rocker cover off when the piston is at about TDC on the compression stroke. As LEO mentioned... those rocker cover bolts are fragile.

crouse267
08-01-2002, 11:50 PM
well i went home and first thing i did was tore it back apare and turned the cam 180 and it did nothing. so the next thing that i did was i took all the decompression stuff off of the cam like jhallettex said stuck it back in and boom she was fixed.
thanks all u guys for helping me out so quickly i worked on it for about 10 hours today and i allready had the piston in when i started this morning. it would have been easier if white bros. whould have only put in the instructions that u didnt have to use the one way clutch thing on the cam. thanks again

JhallettEX
08-02-2002, 07:56 AM
After you get it broke in let us know how it runs.

crouse267
08-03-2002, 03:55 PM
:D :D :D it rocks :D :D :D