PDA

View Full Version : Cam

Ridered416ex
04-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Ok. My dad keeps telling me i shouldnt get a stage 1 cam cuz my motor runs fine now. Wat i wanna know so i can convince him is are they hard to install, good power increas on a 416ex, are they noisey i heard they were, and does it make it hard to start. And how much of a jet increase would i need?
thanks

GPracer2500
04-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Ridered416ex
Ok. My dad keeps telling me i shouldnt get a stage 1 cam cuz my motor runs fine now. Wat i wanna know so i can convince him is are they hard to install, good power increas on a 416ex, are they noisey i heard they were, and does it make it hard to start. And how much of a jet increase would i need?
thanks

Easy to install.

Some cams produce a little more ticking than a stock bike, but nothing extreme.

Does not make the engine any tougher to start.

A cam alone doesn't really require a jetting change. A cam would have to be pretty radical, I would think, in order to change the volume of the air trapped during the compression stroke enough to require new jetting. Not possitive about this though. If it does require a change it will be small.

The stock cam in the 400EX is pretty darn mild--they respond nicely to aftermarket cams. The XR400R dirt bike is an alomst identical engine to the 400EX. One of the biggest differences is a more aggressive camshaft.

RangerRick
04-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Well when I was 14 I had my whole engine apart and rebuilt and back together on my own so I would say swapping a cam isnt that hard.If you got a 416 what are you waiting for?Throw a cam in that bad boy and rip!

tar
04-15-2006, 10:07 PM
my buddy got hotcams in his z and it ticks less than it did stock