PDA

View Full Version : Standard Bore Weisco Piston

RangerRick
04-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I was thinking of buying one of these 11:1 std bore weiscos either off someone on here which I found someone who has it or buy it new.I was wondering if I would need to put in the bigger head studs for this or not.Also do you hone the cylinder?I had my engine apart a couple months ago and someone told me it was still tight enough for a std bore piston but it just doesnt seem right to me to just put in a piston and go.What about this cross hatching I am always hearing about?Is there anything else I should be concerned with and could I run this on 93 octane pump gas?Thanks for the help.

2004exrider
04-15-2006, 07:37 PM
If the cylinder is still in specs just give it a good honing. If the piston is just 11:1 you can still run on 93 octane, while your doing it i'd put on a XR400 headgasket to increase the compression a tad bit more. No need for bigger head studs either.

Jimmy

GPracer2500
04-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Yep, what he said. The cross-hatches (put there by honing) are needed to help the new rings seal.

RangerRick
04-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Alright thanks to both of you.I always wondered what the cross hatching was.I thought it was a whole different procedure.:o

RangerRick
04-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Oh and when ordering the xr gaskets does that have everything I need to rebuild the top end or do I need the xr kit for the head gasket and the 400ex kit for the rest?Probally a dumb question but I still have some things to learn.Thanks.

jordan_m6
04-15-2006, 10:13 PM
nothing else is needed to do the install. but the gasket set.

all i have to say is becarefull with the valve cover bolts they like to stripout. i have a new 04 that hadent been apart and one stripped pulling it out.

RangerRick
04-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Yea I kow how the bolts are.I had already broken a valve cover bolt by overtightening it and a cam chain adjustment one the same way...:ermm:

2004exrider
04-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by RangerRick
Oh and when ordering the xr gaskets does that have everything I need to rebuild the top end or do I need the xr kit for the head gasket and the 400ex kit for the rest?Probally a dumb question but I still have some things to learn.Thanks.

Just pick up a XR head and base gasket. Oh yeah and some new crush gaskets for the exhaust, never try and reuse your old ones. You can and will get an exhaust leak.

Jimmy

RangerRick
04-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Yea that reminds me I have snowmobile crankcase bolts for my exhaust studs.I need to order up some studs and nuts I guess.When I put in the 11:1 can I leave the stock cam for now and go back and put in a stage 2 or something when I have money again?Will the stock cam make it so I dont even feel the power I made?What cam should I end up getting?Thanks.

2004exrider
04-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Hotcams suggests the stage 1 cam for a stock bore up to 426. If you put the stage 2 cam in your engine you'll more than likely feel a loss in bottom end. Yes you can keep the stock one in your engine and feel a power difference, it will feel a lot better once you install an aftermarket one.

Jimmy

RangerRick
04-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Alright I guess I will end up getting a stage 1 in the future.One more thing...Right now I have a DG alloy series exhaust which as far as I am concerned is junk.Is this going to restrict my power big time?

2004exrider
04-16-2006, 05:54 PM
It's not the best but hey its better than stock lol.

Jimmy

hondaboy400ex55
04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
ok i know this is a dumb question but what does hone mean???

2004exrider
04-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Not a dumb question at all. Honing puts fine scratches in your cylinder that cross over eachother in a sideways direction. This is done when you put in a new piston, it ensures that the rings wear to the cylinder wall and create a good seal.

Jimmy

RangerRick
04-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Okay.I think this is the last question.If I ride my fourwheeler right now for awhile longer do I have to worry about getting the cylinder to wore out for the standard bore?I already have got the piston coming(thanks 2qk4u:D )for $30 shipped which I consider a great deal and I ordered a new set of Wiseco rings and XR gaskets for it today along with some other stuff from Dennis Kirk but I think I might want to wait till I can afford a Hot Cam to put in it and fix my header bolt issue.Thanks again.

RangerRick
04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
noone?

2004exrider
04-18-2006, 05:30 PM
It's already got four years on it I dont see what a few more hours can hurt. I'd make sure to get the cylinder mich'd to make sure its still within specs and not ovaled out.

Jimmy

RangerRick
04-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Alright.Cool.Now I hope this is the last thing.Sorry about all the questions but I think I ordered the wrong gasket kit.I got the Cometic xr kit but didnt realize it said 86 mm bore when mine will be and is 85 mm.Is this goin to hurt anything?

RangerRick
04-18-2006, 08:12 PM
BTW I finally got a pic up of the beast.This was during cleaning up to shave the fenders and put on the hood on this coming Thursday.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/rangerricksp1269/h.jpg

How do you guys like the Z250 Front rims?:D better than bent!:eek2: