PDA

View Full Version : Robbs Racing TRX90 Suspension review

Pappy
04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
When i set out to build Cody a full on MX quad, I wanted to get a dual arm set up so we could benefit from the increased shock travel and better handling offered over the stock single arm's. I made a few calls, and while alot of companies seemed eager to help, only one said" They are here where do I ship them".

That shop was Robbs Racing Engines, and he wasted no time getting what we needed here and followed it up with a call to check up on the progress. Customer service was there when it was needed and he has a loyal customer now. The box arrived at first, as usual, I was scratching my head again as there seemed to be alot of parts to the dual arm set up. My fear was removed once I started bolting them on, it was not as difficult as I first envisioned.

Pappy
04-15-2006, 06:29 PM
The front suspension kit contained everything needed with the exception of brake lines and the required 400ex spindles, hubs, calipers and rotors. These parts need to be aquired before you can tackle this conversion. Add to that a front brake lever and perch, and master cylinder. A 450R unit was recomended as it offers adjustability to help with younger riders small hands.

Installation took about an hour with basic shop tools, and after you have the parts layed out, you will see easily how they attach. Two frame mounts attach to the frame tube to provide a secure mount for the upper arms, the lowers mount in the stock location. All 4 arms use heim ends and this is the trickiest part of the entire set up, but i am happy to report it was not difficult to get it installed and adjusted.

Pappy
04-15-2006, 06:35 PM
With the front end installed, it was time to tackle the new swing arm and rear set up. Again, installing the parts was effortless and fitment was spot on. This swing arm requires a 300ex bearing carrier and 300ex axle, along with 450R rotor, rotor hub, caliper, rear master cylinder, lock nut and rear hubs. We opted to use a 450R Lonestar antifade and billet Lonestar rear hubs to add more spark to this wicked little project.

After bolting on the rear end, installing the chain and shock, it was time to figure out how and where to mount the rear master cylinder. Since we were running a different engine, it allowed us the room to fabricate the needed bracketry and modify the rear foot brake to acuate the master cylinder. This is not rocket science, but a welder and metal working tools will be required.

Pappy
04-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Finally getting the quad back on the ground and finishing set up, the first ride would soon be under way. The Elka suspension was set up by Elka and I must say it seems to be just the ticket as the combination works extremely well together. I will be reporting to Elka that Piggy back reseviors can be used on Robbs set up.

After some seat time, our test rider began putting the new suspension through a series of laps that would see what we did right or wrong, and maybe elude to how well this would all work together. As the pictures show, he wasted no time in opening up the quad and using every bit it had to offer.

The price tag on this or any comparable set up is not cheap, but if you are serious about racing the TRX90 I would highly recommend this set up. The components seem to be well made and engineered and seeing Robbs Racing campaigns these same parts on its team riders quads, you know the bugs have been worked out and you can expect no issues.

As for how well it works, I would say that it brings the TRX90 to an entirely new level. We plan to update this thread as we put more time in testing and racing these components and we will be happy to answer any questions we can, although Robb is on this site and would be much more technically tuned into any thing you may have a need to know. I am extremely happy with the outcome, and my rider can not stop telling us how smooth it rides and sucks up what he can throw at it!

Pappy
04-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Two days of 10 laps, then a recheck of all components, have only revealed one issue. We will be calling robbs on monday to order a chain tensioner. Watching the new suspension work across jumps and ruts is a testament to the benefits of these products.

Pappy
04-15-2006, 07:06 PM
A few more break in days to be sure everything is indeed tight and working as it should and we can turn him loose on a full size MX track to see what she will do.

I do not mean that we are concerned about the set up, but with the switch to a manual clutch and other changes to the quad, we want to be absolutley sure everything is good to go.

badvox
04-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Wow!! What a well written review of product and what an awesome machine you put together there. Man its a work of art man looks really good.

Congrats!!