PDA

View Full Version : What a-arms are best?

yamahay
04-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I've decided to modify my 250R intead of restoring to stockand there's way too many choices for shocks, axles and wider A-arms. What are some of the better choices out there in shocks, a-arms, axles etc. I'm not an MX rider just an aggresive recreational rider looking for good combination of price and quality. Are there pre-engineered kits including all these parts that are designed to work together? Should I go extended travel type arms or stock travel? Your thoughts please.

punker69q
04-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Laeger's t-pin front end is the best out there period, but is about 2500$ for the a-arms, spindles and steering stem. It is the absolute best front end money can buy. If you want too spend a little less, roll-design are top notch too, but they are still pricey (3000$ with shocks I think). Walsh is not making any parts for 250r anymore, but if you can get a nice set of used a-arms, they are also really good.

If you want to be more reasonable (sp?), lonestar are some good a-arms. If you want to spend even less, the updated burgard with the frap style balljoint are also make a nice set of a-arms are really affordable. Trc also make good parts and they can build them like you want.

For shocks, the brands that use the best quality materials are Custom Axis and Elka, motowoz also appear to make some good shocks but I never have seen them or tested them. Pep's and tcs are also good shocks, but pep use welded parts in the body construction and tcs seem to lack the quality surface treatment elka and axis both have, but they perform really well.

Maybe if you could give me an idea of how much you want to spend and I could suggest you a shock + a-arms combo.

novaracr70
04-16-2006, 07:56 AM
it really depends on what you like . i ride sand only and want a quad wide and low . I do alot of side hilling and tree shots . so i went +2=1 burgard a arms and elka zpl shocks (or sag whatever) they call them . but i dont need extremly strong or long travel . so look into what you use your quad for and how fat your wallet is .

TheFontMaster
04-16-2006, 11:06 AM
For your aplication, I don't think you need to go with a long travel set up, for just recreational riders, long travel in most cases is more than they will need. I think that the best a arms for what you want to do would be LSR's XC style a arms. They are built so that you can have more ground clearance under the a arm, without sacraficing any travel. They should be available in +1's.

hondardr4life
04-16-2006, 12:15 PM
I would go with +2 JB or lagear a arms. I think that they make some of the highest quality stuff. +1 is a little narrow for me personally, and you won't have any problem fitting +2 through the trails.

As for shocks, definetly go with PEP. If you can afford it, get quad rate ZPS fronts with a dual rate ZPS rear. TCS also makes a nice product, and is slightly cheaper. Stay away from Elka, their valving sucks. Axis used to be good, but now under their new owner, they are kind of going downhill. Never had any experience with motowoz, but I have heard nothing but good.

yamahay
04-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the good information guys. Keep them coming.

b.lee
04-17-2006, 09:30 AM
i got a set of gibson +3 +1's off of ebay for $600.

i'd recommend them to anyone who wants long travel.

im running 19.25" front pep shocks triple rates w/ rez. <--- old and need to be re-done.

otherwise, no complaints about fitting down trails, but i have the laeger frame too... so it makes it skinnier than a stock frame w/ +3+1's.