PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r with Sparks Big Core and HRC

400exrider0004
04-15-2006, 02:57 PM
I just got a 06 450r and i am very impressed with power and the overall bike. I am very glad i waited till the 06 came out. I plan on getting the HRC kit here shortly and also a Sparks Big Core pipe. I believe this should get the bike to around 50 hp with the pipe, air filter, and HRC kit. So I was wondering if any of you have the Sparks BC pipe and HRC kit. How are the numbers if you have em, and how do you like the setup. Any comments or information will be appreciated.

Thanks, Josh

eganracing
04-16-2006, 02:27 PM
u will be very happy with the hrc kit. and from what ive heard those curtis sparks pipes r pretty good and loud.

400exrider0004
04-16-2006, 02:48 PM
yah with the sparks BC pipe, HRC kit, and air filter i should be hitting 50 or more hp. It should be a real nice setup with the 06!!

Prey
04-16-2006, 02:55 PM
that is the setup i have on my 06, it pulls good.

I plan on having it dyno'd in the next month or 2. I dont think 50hp is right though, i would say 47-48

from what i have seen, hrc 06 makes right around 45hp, +- 1hp, and the hrc mod'd pipe is a pretty good pipe.

i like the sparks BC so much, i ordered one for my 04 bike, only issue is they are loud

MAD450r
04-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Is there that much difference from standard to big core power wise. I know louder, but my standard core is loud enough :)

Prey
04-16-2006, 06:09 PM
i have not owned the standard core before, i can only say from what i have read, and the answer to that is yes

but you can buy a big bore kit for the standard X-6 from sparks for like $40 i think it is

ATV403
04-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Curtis has a quiet version now available. Its in the 98 to 99db range. I am happy with mine.The turn down is held on with 3 little bolts.You remove the turn down and install a slightly smaller insert. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pf536a1df7c563d48ed2d0c7c524ccb98/ef9a689d.jpg

400exrider0004
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
i know more pros run the big core and its supposed to be louder and little more powerful i think. About the 50 hp i think it should be around with the HRC kit, air filter, and Sparks BC. The Stock 06 450r is 40-41 hp, then adding the HRC kit it should be around 47-48. Then with the pipe and filter it should easily get you to at least 50.
I cant wait till i get the setup!!!

MAD450r
04-17-2006, 07:57 AM
From what i could tell, I have way more bottom end. If the R's big core is like that then I'd like my standard core better. Its a bit quieter and its got better bottom end fro that holeshot, or coming out turns.

I like to rev my motor dont get me wrong, but im not on the limiter constantly.

Jonas
04-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
I believe this should get the bike to around 50 hp with the pipe, air filter, and HRC kit.

Thanks, Josh

You will probably be more in the 46-48 range. I would just get a cam and pipe only, the rest of the HRC can be duplicated easily. Aftermarket air filters are a waste, especially on this bike.

Jonas
04-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by MAD450r
From what i could tell, I have way more bottom end. If the R's big core is like that then I'd like my standard core better. Its a bit quieter and its got better bottom end fro that holeshot, or coming out turns.

I like to rev my motor dont get me wrong, but im not on the limiter constantly.

Most people here would know better than me, but does bottom end focused power really give you the holeshot??

eganracing
04-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Jonas
Most people here would know better than me, but does bottom end focused power really give you the holeshot??
it depends on the rider and what gear he or she is starting in. like a third gear start would probaly use more low end in the beginning because u have to feather the clutch unless u have a crazy motor that u can just drop the clutch. and a second gear is more top end i think. u guys can correct me if im wrong.

400exrider0004
04-17-2006, 11:44 AM
if you start in a higher gear when starting yah your goin to need a lot more torque than if you started in first. I think a lot that has to deal with getting the holeshot is bottom end. I mean you arent in 5th gear at the end of the start unless its a long start, so i think a lot of it would be bottom end and torque.

What do you think the reason would be for having a big core and having less bottom end? Was the other rider less skilled.

eganracing
04-17-2006, 02:48 PM
if i was doing cross country racing than i would probaly get a pipe that created alot of torque. but for mx i would like my powerband more on the top. it also depends on how u ride. like some people prefer to keep the rpm's down and utilize the gears or there are people that will bounce off the rev limiter all the time. if i was you i would go for the big core. and either way your still going to be happy with your bike.

Coolidge
04-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
You will probably be more in the 46-48 range. I would just get a cam and pipe only, the rest of the HRC can be duplicated easily. Aftermarket air filters are a waste, especially on this bike.

I just the HRC kit for my '06, but it was a good deal (I paid 280.00 shipped which is over 80.00 cheaper than my local dealer) But do you suggest running the stock air filter? I was getting ready to get a UNI, or K&N, and my HRC kit says to remove airbox cover, and that the air filter will need more frequent service. I just got done w/the break-in, and am getting ready to do oil/filter, then HRC kit. Should I just clean the stock air filter and run it?
Like 400exrider0004 said, I cant wait. This bike is an absolute blast to ride already.
Jonas, Thanks in advance for any advise/help you may have. You seem to have a lot of honest, sound advise. I appreciate that.

Not to change subject/hijack thread: After about 10-12hrs of pretty hard desert break-in riding, is it normal for the chain to get (really) loose? Seemed kinda odd, wondered if there was something to be checking?

MAD450r
04-17-2006, 07:50 PM
The stock chain does stretch alot, just if you ride that hard change it before it breaks.

Coolidge
04-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for fast reply. This forum has been invaluable for information. I had always rode motocross bikes, but hadnt really ridden much since late 80's. About a month ago, the very 1st quad I ever rode was my buddy's 06 450er (w/HRC kit, i just found out), then rode his wifes Yamaha 350 Raptor w/some tweaks, then the Daughters Suzuki Z400. MUST GET HONDA, MUST GO FASTER!
Needles to say, now Im cant get enough riding in. And need more power :D

eagertorace
04-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by MAD450r
The stock chain does stretch alot, just if you ride that hard change it before it breaks.

In my case, that huge amount of torque is stretching my chain.:macho

eganracing
04-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Coolidge
I just the HRC kit for my '06, but it was a good deal (I paid 280.00 shipped which is over 80.00 cheaper than my local dealer) But do you suggest running the stock air filter? I was getting ready to get a UNI, or K&N, and my HRC kit says to remove airbox cover, and that the air filter will need more frequent service. I just got done w/the break-in, and am getting ready to do oil/filter, then HRC kit. Should I just clean the stock air filter and run it?
Like 400exrider0004 said, I cant wait. This bike is an absolute blast to ride already.
Jonas, Thanks in advance for any advise/help you may have. You seem to have a lot of honest, sound advise. I appreciate that.

Not to change subject/hijack thread: After about 10-12hrs of pretty hard desert break-in riding, is it normal for the chain to get (really) loose? Seemed kinda odd, wondered if there was something to be checking?

about the air filters, the stock one is just as good as any after market. i bought a K&N because i prefer those over stock because i find them easier to clean. if u ride in the desert alot i would suggest u use a uni or stock because ive heard the K&N lets fine dirt particles through. i personaly havent had any problems with my K&N in the desert.

RedRacer44
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
As far as the HP you are looking at with HRC and Sparks BC, you'll be around 50. Local guy had his '06 dynoed with just HRC kit, and it hit 48HP....pretty good number for a mild cam like the '06 HRC cam and no "true" pipe. The new HRC kit is a lot better than the older one, you get the larger header and a better designed (more flowing) silencer. So I'd think that a full exhaust isnt gonna give you too much more HP over the '06 HRC kit, just my opinion though. I'd bet you'll be right around 50....

I ran the Sparks Big Core and Stage2 HotCam on my '06 all this winter in our indoor arenacross series....LOTS of good torque and bottom end but the pipe does shine more in the mid-range/top end.....its more of an MX pipe by nature. On the bigger outdoor tracks it really pulls up top in 3rd-4th gear. I recently had a JE 13.5:1 piston thrown in and some port work done.....really complimented the pipe/cam combo nicely. It pulls like a rocket now...

On the filter issue, the stock filter is just fine. Its as good, if not better than the aftermarket foam filters and better than the K&Ns at stopping dirt. I had issues with a K&N letting dirt in so I switched back to foam filters and wont ever go back to K&N. I still use my stock filter in rotation with a couple of Sparks filters. A good idea would be to buy an extra filter like a Uni to keep on hand so you can swap the filters out....makes keeping a clean filter on the bike a lot more achieve-able.

Just my 2 cents :D

Prey
04-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
and no "true" pipe.

On the filter issue, the stock filter is just fine. Its as good, if not better than the aftermarket foam filters and better than the K&Ns at stopping dirt.

the rossier pipe pulled less than 1 extra peak horse on the hrc mod'd pipe, the 06 hrc is a good pipe. all dyno's read different, what else has been on there for comparison.

as far as the filter, it may or maynot be as good as an aftermarket foam, the issue is the squirel cage, that fine wire mesh is wrapped around like 4 times, either try to remove the mesh or get one of the pro flo kits

RedRacer44
04-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Prey
the rossier pipe pulled less than 1 extra peak horse on the hrc mod'd pipe, the 06 hrc is a good pipe. all dyno's read different, what else has been on there for comparison.

as far as the filter, it may or maynot be as good as an aftermarket foam, the issue is the squirel cage, that fine wire mesh is wrapped around like 4 times, either try to remove the mesh or get one of the pro flo kits

I never said it wasnt a good pipe, just meant it wasnt a "true" exhaust as we all have come to know from the aftermarket. The 06 HRC exhaust is very good, especially for the $$.

I agree that all dynos read different. Lonnies dyno (SandTrax Performance) has always been pretty accurate, if anything his dyno reads a bit low. He's done a couple other Hondas and Yamahas that threw out a certain # of HP on his dyno...but threw out a higher # on another dyno. Thats the only '06 Honda he's done as far as I know. I mean, Honda is claiming 50HP with just HRC, a "true" full aftermarket exhaust should theoritically bump it up to almost 50....

As far as the wire cage, I have removed mine and threaded a bolt into the small hole in the end of it. Its sealed up fine and works great. If you want some support for the flange like the Sparks airbox ring offers.....we took the cage and cut the part that slides into the tube off and re-used it w/out the wire cage. Worked just fine...

No conflict meant good sir :D

Prey
04-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by RedRacer44

No conflict meant good sir :D

none meant here either, from all the reading i have been doing on the 450, seems like 50 hp is pretty hard to come by without a BBK or port work. i was also just trying to point out that the HRC is a good pipe and that some A/M companies are having trouble performing as good as it does.

good advice on the squirel cage

RedRacer44
04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Prey
none meant here either, from all the reading i have been doing on the 450, seems like 50 hp is pretty hard to come by without a BBK or port work. i was also just trying to point out that the HRC is a good pipe and that some A/M companies are having trouble performing as good as it does.

good advice on the squirel cage

On the 04/05, we've been pushing upper 40s (48,49) pretty easily without porting/big bore. On the '06, 50HP is very attainable with the new motor, its almost identical to the CRF and much more mod friendly. We're busting out mid to upper 50s on stock bore with good piston, porting, valves, carb mods, pipe, etc....on both 04/05 and 06. The TRX motor is awesome!

Just seems like once you hit 53-55 HP with stock bore, those extra few HP after that are tough to get...

Like to know what Dan at DASA is doing to hit these 60+ HP marks :devil: