PDA

View Full Version : pro design or uni????

1987 trx350x
04-15-2006, 11:12 AM
does anyone know what air filters flow better? pro design or uni?

BlasterEaten250
04-16-2006, 08:15 AM
K&N flows more than both of them:macho

Honda TRX250ex
04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
K&N flows more than both of them:macho
Until you get dirt in there and then its a pain in the ***** to clean it out.
Go with UNI

450RGNCC
04-16-2006, 08:37 AM
The K&N also flows more DIRT than pro design and UNI. If you just buy the Pro Design or UNI by themselves, you will still be restricted bythe stock cage inside of the filter, but if you buy the Pro Design aluminum adapter, you will flow a lot more air. IMO K&N filters are overrated and foam filters are much better for performance and engine life.

Sjorge450R
04-16-2006, 08:43 AM
as long as you clean and oil your K&N after everyride or race (which I do) you wont suck any dirt. The only thing that is in my air boot is right were the filter clamps on and it is a little K&N filter oil from over oiling the filter.

Ridin' Jesse
04-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Pro-Design is well worth the money...

1987 trx350x
04-16-2006, 10:17 AM
all my friends run k+n, and their motors are always ceasing, for some reason. we ride in dusty conditions, and i never had that problem, with uni filters. i figured i would get an opinion with pro desighn or uni, so ii guess ill try pro design with the aluminum adapter.

NacsMXer
04-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
as long as you clean and oil your K&N after everyride or race (which I do) you wont suck any dirt. The only thing that is in my air boot is right were the filter clamps on and it is a little K&N filter oil from over oiling the filter.

Well, that whole scenario didn't work the same for me. I always cleaned and reoiled my old K&N after every ride. It really does pass a ton of dirt into the intake boot and carb. Switching to a UNI solved my problems indefinitely.

Foam is simply superior in terms of filtration ability in heavy dust compared to gauze filter media. I've said it a millions times before and i'll say it again...Leave the K&N's to the dunes and the streets....they don't filter for crap on dusty MX and XC tracks ;)

450RGNCC
04-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Just think about it like this... with a K&N you have about 1/8" of media that filters out dust, but with a foam filter, you have about 1/2" of media to filter out dust, and if you get the Pro Design with the foam outerwear (like I have) it is almost a full inch of media that filters out dust, without sacrificing much air flow. I raced a 1 and a half hour harescramble, very dusty, and the entire outerwear was completely coated with dust, it was all BROWN, and when I took off the outerwear after the race, the filter underneath was still the color from when I had cleaned it, so most of the dust was removed on the first layer and there were still 2 layers to go. I will always use foam filters on my quad, but the choice of which brand is up to you.

1987 trx350x
04-16-2006, 10:17 PM
im going to go purchase a pro design filter for my trx350x(i already own a uni, and im impressed). thanks guys for all your help. -Steve

Sjorge450R
04-17-2006, 04:17 AM
not trying to start a flame here, but I also raced a 1.5 hour harescramble race that was extreamly dusty, Went home, took my pre filter off and my K&N look as if I didnt even use it. Dust in the intake boot???? Nope. I also raced an extreamly muddy XC race. Mud in the intake boot???Nope.