PDA

View Full Version : seating tire beads

DezSled
04-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Getting a tire to mount up using air pressure sometimes didn't work for me. especially with tires with heavy beads or cold tires. Ohtsu pro comps would mount up pretty easily, but try airing up a razr2 rear tire. Putting tie downs around the tire sometimes didn't help either. On those tv shows I seen one where they used some kind of flammable spray (contact cleaner, brake cleaner, starter spray, etc..) so I tried it.... and it worked. I sprayed for one second into the unseated bead/rim and lit the void with a bbq lighter ( not a bic lighter). I was amazed how it worked... easily and effortlessly. Just don't overdo it with the spray .....one second worth of the spray was all that was needed. Pop - pop both sides of the bead went right on. Beads were lubed with dish washing liquid from mounting them on the rim too. Kids let the dads do this one. Like anything over doing the spray will cause extreme danger and could blow up on you. One second with the spray. Scary the first time, Super easy tho

I seen one show use a high pressure air equipment ( might have been unique whips) to mount up car tires. looked easy too, but who has the air tank and high volume hose.

scramblerracer
04-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Make sure that the valve core is removed if you do this, I have heard of people trying with the core in and the tire blowing off the rim. You can buy or make the bead setting air tanks. I made one with a cheap air tank- welded thread-o-let on one end. Screw in a 2 inch nipple with a 2 inch ball valve. Then flatten out a 2 inch nipple for the bead area and screw into valve. You don't need high pressure- just lots of volume all at once. The reason they are so expensive to purchase is because they consider an air tank a pressure vessel so it must be code welded and stamped by a certified welder and the company must have insurance.

8my_Cash
04-16-2006, 05:56 PM
also try using a littl bit of soapy water or even wd40 to lube the tire up so it slips up the rim easy to seat the bead... and make sure that valve stem is out