PDA

View Full Version : leaking grease from axle

mickey400ex
04-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Well yesterday was the first time i rode my 4 wheeler in a year and a half, well in sept of 04 the entire rear end was replaced, and before i went to iraq i noticied it was the same so i had it replaced again at the dealer, now today i noticied that it was shooting grease out of carrier, this 400ex has had maybe 50 miles put on it and it has done the same thing with 2 entirely new axle carriers, so is there a seal in there that needs replaced or is it the bearings again, it does have some slack in the axle to let you all know, thanks for any input

gbcap
04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
never had a 400ex. but i know the 300ex/250r and 450r all have a few seals in there. they are very easy to pinch and will wear away. it shouldn't be 'shooting' grease everywhere. and if the bearings are already gone that is just wrong. if there is slack...there is something wrong? wrong axle maybe. if it has done it 2 times already? wrong carrier? wrong bearings? but 50 miles is way to early. hell i do that in one race and don't have an issue.

mickey400ex
04-14-2006, 07:28 PM
yeah thats what im thinking about the 50 miles, but it was always serviced by the dealer, im thinking about taking to them and trading it in just to be prick and not telling them about it

Eddiesanders250
04-14-2006, 07:32 PM
You wont be able to tell unless you take the carrier out of the swinger and pull the axle out. I think theres something wrong with the bearings i dont see how ther would be grease shooting out tho.

below100hz
04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
was it replaced with a stock carrier? most aftermarket ones have a zerk fitting on them for a grease gun and it could be coming out of there if thats the case

mickey400ex
04-14-2006, 09:44 PM
its coming out on the right side, it was a lsr carrier installed, but still that alone wouldnt allow the slack to be in the rearend

Aceman
04-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Set a block of wood under your swinger and wiggle your axle up and down. If it's not tight in the carrier it's time for bearings again. There are 2 bearings in there and a seal on each end. Buy a manual and fix it yourself, it's very easy and doesn't take to long. If you tear it down look at the sprocket hub and brake hub and make sure they are smooth where the seals ride. If not your seals will wear prematurely allowing dirt and everything else to get in there and ruin your bearings.