PDA

View Full Version : clutch slip problem please help...

chevrolet486hp
04-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Hello all- A freind gave me a engine its a 200x he ran it low on oil and the piston pin sized in the piston but dident hurt the cyc. anyway ichecked everything over and all it needed was a gasket and piston and ring set so now it runs great and there is no noises BUT the clutch slips after around 15 min. only when hot could the engine have gotin so hot the clutch springs lost some tension? the clutch feals great the ajustig nuts are all the way in the clutch is all most new my freind had it put in when he had the engine rebilt so i know its new every thing looked good when i checked it over or i would have replaced it then. ive rebuilt engines for years and iv never had this problem only slips when HOT. PLEASE HELP

2muchquad
04-14-2006, 08:43 PM
what kind of oil you using?

chevrolet486hp
04-15-2006, 07:28 AM
I used standard 10w40 motor oil. rebuilt the engine with lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. after the engine was rebuilt it sliped constantly so i dident ride it and wired the clutch open and broke in the cyclender and rings like that for a few days cuz i figured i may have soaked the clutch with the stabilizer so after a few days of doing this the engine was broke in so i changed the oil with the same standard 10w40 oil and now it seems to be a lot better but now it slips only when hot around 15 min. YOU THINK THE STABILIZER IS STILL BONDING TO THE CLUTCH PLATES & DISKS OR THE SPRINGS ARE BAD ?

Sjorge450R
04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by chevrolet486hp
I used standard 10w40 motor oil. rebuilt the engine with lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. after the engine was rebuilt it sliped constantly so i dident ride it and wired the clutch open and broke in the cyclender and rings like that for a few days cuz i figured i may have soaked the clutch with the stabilizer so after a few days of doing this the engine was broke in so i changed the oil with the same standard 10w40 oil and now it seems to be a lot better but now it slips only when hot around 15 min. YOU THINK THE STABILIZER IS STILL BONDING TO THE CLUTCH PLATES & DISKS OR THE SPRINGS ARE BAD ?

The stabizer could have messed with the friction plates :(.

Its not your motor oil, cause I use 10-40 havoline oil and I dont have this problem. Is the clutch brand new???

chevrolet486hp
04-15-2006, 08:00 AM
its only about 2 years old my freind had the engine rebuilt at local honda shop with clutch,shift fork,piston rings,& jug then he got stuped and ran it low on oil...and the piston pin sized in the rod & piston And it was hot cuz the small rod end was discolerd & and so was the pin. thats why i wonder if the springs may have lost their tenction. but i ceep thingking the stabilizer soaked the clutch cuz it will rip weelys 1st,2nd,3rd till the engine gets hot then you cant flore it. ive rebuilt engines forever and this has never hapend but this is the first time iv used stabilizer before

Sjorge450R
04-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by chevrolet486hp
its only about 2 years old my freind had the engine rebuilt at local honda shop with clutch,shift fork,piston rings,& jug then he got stuped and ran it low on oil...and the piston pin sized in the rod & piston And it was hot cuz the small rod end was discolerd & and so was the pin. thats why i wonder if the springs may have lost their tenction. but i ceep thingking the stabilizer soaked the clutch cuz it will rip weelys 1st,2nd,3rd till the engine gets hot then you cant flore it. ive rebuilt engines forever and this has never hapend but this is the first time iv used stabilizer before

i would have to say that I think that is was the stabilzer. I would just pick up a tusk clutch with heavy duty springs. And this time dont use stabilizer. what made you use that in the first place?

chevrolet486hp
04-15-2006, 08:09 AM
its all i had at the time i usuly use asembily lube but everything was cleaned well checked over and i had the parts. i useuly only use the stabilizer on car engines cuz it bondes but i just dident thank about the clutch at the time