PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 02 blaster ...

660Grizz04
04-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Well i found a 2002 Blaster for sale for $750.00, I talked to the guy and he said it has a fmf gold series pipe, dirt digger clutches , aftermarket crank and rod. BUT! it has been blown up and needs to be rebored. I guess its in good shape, I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see what it looks like .... Any thing to watch out for on these years ?? Anything to watch out for period on a blaster ? I'm not worried at all about boring it out as i work at and atv shop, I'm just worried about it having other serious crank or other problems.

Thanks alot guys ... :D

dirtmomma
04-14-2006, 04:47 PM
If it has an oil injection system on it still take that OFF!!! they are known to fail!! We run our's 32:1 w/ Dumonde Tech Synthetic, also it doesn't have the hydro brakes on it either I don't think your rear brake will be a POS unless it is VERY meticoulously maintained, we ended up getting a hydro one off of Ebay they are a little spendy but WELL WORTH it!! You can also modify a banshee or warrior one :)
For the front you can use Banshee parts also!!
As for the motor these little bikes are TOUGH!! We have 2 of them one has/was raced HARD for 3 yrs on one build :D And it won a Championship :D:D
As for the crank we did put a Hot Rod Crank in our race one but the stocker still is a stocker nothing wrong w/ it it's a 2001 or so our racer is a 1990

Hope this helps some :o

660Grizz04
04-14-2006, 05:26 PM
I was thinking thats maybe why it blew up, I dont know these people nor if they are smart .... Maybe its the injection system, maybe they didnt rejet it when they put the pipe on .. Or maybe they just run there stuff really hard, who knows lol.
Thanks for the help though ...

Dr89
04-14-2006, 10:09 PM
well its a 2002 so if this is its first time being blown up then its most likely just going to need the routine rebuild, it wasnt necessarily ridden hard or have any problems with injection. blasters havent changed since like 1987 or whenever the heck they came out so i dont think there's anything specific you need to look for (other than the disc brakes) but it sounds like a good deal.

i've owned two blaster's, a 1995 and a 2004 model, even the 95 had zero problems with the oil injector, i sold it to a friend who still has it and never needed to invest in an oil injection block-off kit, i understand its to prevent more extreme damage but why mix gas if you dont have to.,.,.,.,the system is there, i say use it. i've known tons of blasters and never saw one that had any injection problems, just my experience but i wouldnt go so far as to say that they're KNOWN to fail, just a possibility.

dirtmomma
04-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Dr89
well its a 2002 so if this is its first time being blown up then its most likely just going to need the routine rebuild, it wasnt necessarily ridden hard or have any problems with injection. blasters havent changed since like 1987 or whenever the heck they came out so i dont think there's anything specific you need to look for (other than the disc brakes) but it sounds like a good deal.

i've owned two blaster's, a 1995 and a 2004 model, even the 95 had zero problems with the oil injector, i sold it to a friend who still has it and never needed to invest in an oil injection block-off kit, i understand its to prevent more extreme damage but why mix gas if you dont have to.,.,.,.,the system is there, i say use it. i've known tons of blasters and never saw one that had any injection problems, just my experience but i wouldnt go so far as to say that they're KNOWN to fail, just a possibility.

He asked for ADVICE I gave it to him do a search & you'll see/hear LOTS of people that say the same thing!! We've experienced it w/ at least 2 blasters. One my son's best friend we took him to the dunes w/ us & BAM it failed the other one was BRAND NEW & failed & the dealership ended up fixing it!!
So JMO:blah:

660Grizz04
04-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Well i just got back, I really dont think its a bad deal, i offered him 600 and he took it .... I didnt get the bike yet. I paid him 200, i got the cylinder, pipe cylinder head 4 extra tires, the new piston head gasket .... It will be another 2 weeks beforew i can actuaslly get it ... im paying him 200 a week so. The cylinder definetly need to be bored. The new pistom is .25mm over size. its a WSM platinum piston kit. the piston is like grey colored.

Dr89
04-15-2006, 07:40 PM
He asked for ADVICE I gave it to him do a search & you'll see/hear LOTS of people that say the same thing!! We've experienced it w/ at least 2 blasters. One my son's best friend we took him to the dunes w/ us & BAM it failed the other one was BRAND NEW & failed & the dealership ended up fixing it!!

haha hey, if it sounded like i was dogging on your advice i didnt mean for it too, i was only saying that in my own experience's i've never witnessed blasters haveing injection problems, i have no doubt that it happens. as for searching for blaster's with this problem...of course your gonna find alot..how many blaster owners are gonna post to say that there injection system is still working!! lol im just messing, i was only trying to tell him to spend money on other things to get it runnin before he goes and buys a block off.