PDA

View Full Version : anyone have electric dog fence

polcat1p
04-14-2006, 04:18 PM
If so, how do you like it? Does it work good?
I have a 80 lbs lab and was thinking of geting one. I live in a busy neighborhood, and want my dog to stay in my 1/2 acre yard, untill i can afford pvc fencing. I know there are diff kinds to get but i dont know anything about them. I dont want to buy something, and be garbage. If someone has a good one let me know where you got it and how much you paid.
thanks chad

Honda400exrox
04-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by polcat1p
I have a 80 lbs lab and was thinking of geting one. I live in a busy neighborhood, and want my dog to stay in my 1/2 acre yard, untill i can afford pvc fencing. I know there are diff kinds to get but i dont know anything about them. I dont want to buy something, and be garbage. If someone has a good one let me know where you got it and how much you paid.
thanks chad

they work good, but after you install it, you have to test it on something to make sure it works. I just used my little brother to test it lol, it worked good for us, but we had a long haired german shepard, and his hair was so thick the prongs didnt reach his skin, we paid 1200 dollars and it was called invisble fence, but that was for 2 acres, it would probably be cheaper for your smaller yard

Mxjunkie
04-14-2006, 04:38 PM
My dobermans have used them before but I had 2 of them that finally learned the "trick"

Right before it zaps them it beeps, the dogs would hear it beep and they would sit there till the battery died then run off..

I allways use to wonder how the hell they got loose and then I was outside swimming one day and I saw the dog sitting down for ever and ever then it finally ran off and I didnt belive it at first till it kept doing it..

Aceman
04-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Wow, MXJunkie those are some smart dobermans.:mad: :blah: :D

outlaw450r
04-14-2006, 05:11 PM
My black and tan coonhound walked right past it so I tried it and got the **** shocked out of me. So I'm not very impressed with them. I shaved his neck and all. Still walked right through.

DieselBoy
04-14-2006, 05:34 PM
My black and tan coonhound walked right past it so I tried it and got the **** shocked out of me.

LMAO!!!!!!!

PolarisRider
04-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
My dobermans have used them before but I had 2 of them that finally learned the "trick"

Right before it zaps them it beeps, the dogs would hear it beep and they would sit there till the battery died then run off..

I allways use to wonder how the hell they got loose and then I was outside swimming one day and I saw the dog sitting down for ever and ever then it finally ran off and I didnt belive it at first till it kept doing it..

dude those must be smart dogs:eek:

Ghost-Rider
04-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Dont buy it.... waste of cash .... my boxer jsut toughens up and walks right through it.....had when he was a puppy and mid age and if you still want 1 DONT get the kind that keep shocking once past the dam fence my retared neighbor did i almsot killed him for it cause he wasnt even watching so i look and there goes the dog gets zaped ends up in some dude yard running in tuny circles yelping bloody murder whole blocks out jsut watching so i finaly ran up to the dog..... stupid people i should pute it on them pull em over it and tiem to a tree......theyd do same as dog:mad:

MOFO
04-14-2006, 05:49 PM
There is a BIG difference between the cheapo self install units and the professional units. I would suggest in buying a quality system and make sure you do the proper training or have the installation company assist with the training.

My parents had a system installed at our house years ago for our Great Danes... worked GREAT!

Ghost-Rider
04-14-2006, 05:51 PM
I think it all depends on the breed myself, and their pain tolerance

04-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Just cranck it up to the highest power level, but if you have a little dog i woudent do that, youd be looking at your little puppy and then all you hear is BZZZ BANG and all his hair gose up, prolly turn him yellow like on the cartoons when someone gets shocked.

MOFO
04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
I think it all depends on the breed myself, and their pain tolerance

Yes, but I remember the company that put our system in had a collar that will work with ANY breed. They make many different types of collars and they can be adjusted to meet many pain levels.

Our Great Danes required a collar change and some adjustments... like I said, a quality system is key. Now of course I'm sure there will be a dog that is the exeception, but in most cases these systems DO work.

trick250r
04-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by polcat1p
thanks chad

the neighbors do... needless to say that when they got it, i started to call their dog past the fence. he quit listening to me after a week or two. so yeah, they work well :devil:

04-14-2006, 11:21 PM
i got that invisible fench that goes underground and it shockes them when they go past the line. well my Yellow Lab is REALLY stupid and we had it turned all the way up and she would still run straight through it

Iliketogofast
04-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Just like the boxer, they don't work on my pit. I hooked one of my friends up to my dog to see if it work on him.

He just walks right through them like they are nothing.

I guess maybe if you had a higher pain tolerance collar it might work, but since the home unit didn't even phase him, I would be afraid that they would have to go so high it might kill him if he gets stuck or something.

04-15-2006, 07:46 AM
we used to have it...but our beagles would run straight through it...then i put it on my jack russel and he got shocked once and now it u put any kind of collar on him he wont move at all...he just sits in one spot and cries because he thinks he'll get shocked again

MR.BIG
04-15-2006, 08:06 AM
I have one that I installed myself and it works great. I have 3 dogs and they will not cross the line. You have to train the dogs you can't just put the collar on and let them loose. There is also different shocks collars for different size dogs. I have a jack russel, welsh corgie, and a collie. I am moving to my new house soon and I will be installing another one.

polcat1p
04-15-2006, 08:19 AM
thanks guys

awsomeaussies
04-15-2006, 11:53 AM
You can't just install it and think your dog will stay in your yard... they don't no the boundaries, you have to teach them.

And like someone said before, it depends on the dog. If they have a high tolerance level, it might not work for that dog. I have two Australian Shephards... I don't have the invisable fence but I do have the remote shock collar for both of them. And that works for me because one of my Aussies is a pu**y when it comes to pain and the other one could care less, so I gotta raise his shock level up. I paid 250 bucks for two shock collars and the remote that works almost up to a mile.