PDA

View Full Version : getting tires off rims

ny300exrider
04-14-2006, 01:39 PM
hey im going to need to get a set of 20in holeshot xcr rear tires off of a pair of stock rims. i have heard its nearly impossible to do it without a bead breaker or tire machine. my dad on the other hand insists that he can do it with some soapy water and regular stuff, no machines. my question is, do you think it is even worth the time trying to get the tires off ourselves or should i just bring it to the shop, pay the $20 bucks, and save a major hassle. if its possible, what is the best method of doing this because although it sounds cheap, saving that $20 would be a help to me.

thanks

gbcap
04-14-2006, 02:18 PM
yes it is possible. will take about 20-30 minutes unless you are real good at it. if a tire place charges you twenty bucks to do that they are as*holes. go to the next place. i'd do it for you for a thanks you if you were in my area.

most tire shops would charge no more then 5 bucks. it will take them about 30 seconds a tire...no more.

i can change 4 wheels, 4 off and 4 new ones on in well under 5 minutes.

Sonic400ex
04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
If you have a Colony Tire in your area they will do it for $6 a tire. They where the only tire shop in my area that would touch ATV tires/rims.

ny300exrider
04-14-2006, 04:39 PM
i actually dont even know what my local place would charge, i just gave 20 as a good guess. im just going to see how much they will charge me and if its reasonable, ill just go that route.

Sjorge450R
04-14-2006, 07:01 PM
just drive a car or truck over the one side of the tire. Make sure that you dont drive on the wheel tho. The tire will pop right off.

d33pt
04-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
yes it is possible. will take about 20-30 minutes unless you are real good at it. if a tire place charges you twenty bucks to do that they are as*holes. go to the next place. i'd do it for you for a thanks you if you were in my area.

most tire shops would charge no more then 5 bucks. it will take them about 30 seconds a tire...no more.

i can change 4 wheels, 4 off and 4 new ones on in well under 5 minutes.

He's talking about taking a tire off a rim, not taking a tire/rim off your quad. I've love to see you do a set of 4 tires in 5 mins.

Aceman
04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by d33pt
He's talking about taking a tire off a rim, not taking a tire/rim off your quad. I've love to see you do a set of 4 tires in 5 mins.

If you read his post it sounds like he works at a tire shop. So I bet he can do 4 tires in 5 min.;)

Moto250X_Rider
04-20-2006, 02:48 PM
u can try getting a 2x4....make sure all the air is out of the tire....put the 2x4 on the tire with the end right up to the rim not on the rim next to it...and back a car or a truck onto the board....that works sometimes...but there have bin a few tires that just would not come off ...u can try that if that don't work time to spend the 20$ on getting them off

PismoLocal
04-20-2006, 04:34 PM
When i bought new tires i took my tires/rims to a 76 station and they used a machine on them and charged $5 per tire they took off. I went home and used dish soap and elbow grease to get the new tires on. Get one of your buddies to help you out. It took me about 10 minutes to get each tire on but its worth saving the $40 you would pay at a dealership.