PDA

View Full Version : Elka XC

quadman21
08-01-2002, 08:18 AM
Hey guys. I was wondering who had elka suspension set up for cross country and harescrambles? I race the Mid East Harescrambles and am looking at buying the elka comp. and rebound adj. fronts for my ex. I just want to hear what you guys think of them. I have heard that they are soft and wanted your opinions before I spend my money on them. Thanks!

ajr400ex
08-01-2002, 08:47 AM
I have the Elka comp. adj. for my 400 and the SSD conversion on the stock rear shock. The fronts kick butt in my opinion. Prior to the 400 I had a 300 with Works shocks - they were softer than the Elkas. There service is top notch so if get them and they are to soft or whatever, they will work with you on the setup. They push the comp. adj. only for XC vs. fully adj. Overall handling/cornering is much better than stock. The rear conversion helps with corning by lowering the bike. I am still fine tuning the rear shock. Mine are setup for 190-210lb XC.

quadman21
08-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Well I have works triple rate steelers on the front now and I have my rear re-valved. The works are good shocks but the fade too quickly and aren't up to par for racing. The rear re-valve I had done feels pretty good but I may get it re-valved again to compliment whatever fronts I get. I had elka do their quote for me and your right about them pushing for compression adj. only. It adds about 2-inches more wheel travel. I'm just worried that if I buy them and need to "tweek" them I'll loose adjustability. But maybe I'm wrong.

Dave400ex
08-01-2002, 10:23 AM
If you are running Stock A-Arms you only want the Comp. Adjust. That`s what I got and mine are setup for XC. As Jeff will tell you with the Rebound Adjust you will lose Travel. I think most Guys say the Rebound just makes the Shocks more of a pain to Adjust. I would only get Comp. Adjust and if Jeff sees this or you talk to him I think he will say the same.

holeshot19
08-01-2002, 08:43 PM
if you are runing the mideast races and come down to cross anchor look me up i have a full set front and rear elkas with +1 housers and +1 1/4 rear swing arm mideast #19 vet class

quadman21
08-02-2002, 06:08 AM
I will. I was planning on camping out on Saturday the 17th since it's the longest drive for me. Well let me ask you this, A lot of people are using Custom Axis and Santo's Pro millinium. I even was going to order some of the pro milliniums but after seeing the price of Elkas I'm starting to change my mind. So what doyou think of Elka compared to the Axis and Millinium? Didn't you use to run Pro Millinium?

dhines
08-02-2002, 06:39 AM
Ive been racing Elkas in hare scrambles and GNCC's for over a year now and they are hard to beat. I like them so much I just upgraded to their elite series. My dad is also currently running Elkas in the GNCC series and is neck and neck for the super senior overall title. He loves 'em. Talk to Jeff at the Quad Shop and he'll tell you the same thing.

Dennis

quadman21
08-02-2002, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info. It looks like I'm headed in the elka direction. Do you have fully adj. or comp adj. only?

cdalejef
08-02-2002, 07:16 AM
I have run the standard 16" and now the 19" long travel and they are the best shocks I have run in 12 years of GNCC and MidSouth XC racing! You don't want to use rebound adjust on 16" shocks because you will loose about 1.5" of shaft length, meaning you loose travel. The 19" shocks you do want the rebound adjust because there is plenty of room for the rebound adjuster on the shaft.
Hope this helps,

quadman21
08-02-2002, 07:51 AM
Ok guys, explain the self sagging device on the elkas. I guess it's pretty self explanatory but how does it feel when you ride your quad? Does it effect the performance at all? Or does it only effect the ride height? Can you guys shed some more light on this?

Dave400ex
08-02-2002, 09:14 AM
The SSD helps a lot because you sit lower going through the turns so you go faster through them. Also as you slow down the front shocks go down, and when you hit the gas the front end goes up. If you get the Shocks you want SSD. If you are still running Stock A-Arms you will want the Elka`s I got in my Sig.