PDA

View Full Version : Gordons Well to Glamis

DezSled
04-13-2006, 10:48 PM
It's been awhile (like almost 20 years) since we have been to gordons well. One of the last times we camped at five mile drop and rode to glamis (only 17 years since we were there). It was a pretty long ride so we took premix for the '85R and tecate. The glamis store had gas for the ride back. All in all a great ride that pooped out the girlfriends/wives.

My question is can this still be done or is that route closed down?

On April fools day we went to Buttercup (when did they close greys wells road?) for the first time since '89. The vendor row was a nice change and man to be able to get a rib eye steak dinner for $15.00 was way sweet! Made the camping permit charge not seem to bad (what the hell is my green sticker money going too?). How long have they been making people pay that?
Riding to the westside low highway canal to the eastside high
way canal bridge brought back alot of old memories.

Can you still go down the canal to algodones? Last time we were there you could ride into mexico on the wheelers for tacos & carta blancas. Even got my boots shined cheep!

Is that possible anymore?

enquadrider16
04-13-2006, 11:24 PM
umm the only answer i have for you is that i've been going there since 2000 and we've always had the fee.

sixer3
04-17-2006, 07:42 AM
you, can still go to algodones but im pretty sure to go to glamis you'll need to use sand highway (thats the way we go), the dunes would be funner, butsince we're a bunch of quads we dont ahve much room for gas, or we'll have a truck meet us at olds to fill up

hrdtail
04-17-2006, 10:44 AM
We just did the Gordons to Glamis last week. Actually, it was a olgilby to gordons, to glamis. Just take the sand highway to gecko, over to the lookout, on to glamis. Great ride, but the kids got a little worked (pizza at glamis made up for it). Dont make the mistake of taking the boring, paddle chewing road back to olgilby that I did. Its flat, but it eats paddles and the rocks are a killer on the kids. have fun, welcome back

loons
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
You can go to Algodones still, but there is a parking lot that you have to park with on the american side. Then you have to walk about a mile down into town. Not smart in my opinion. WE used to go there every major weekend, and about 5 years ago they started cracking down. Sometimes the Border Patrol won't even let you into the parking lot.

I have a yfz and have ridden from vendors row in gordons to glamis via the sand highway a couple times. We just fill up at the glamis store and dune all the way back to gordons. We just cut over to the sand highway when we get to the closures.

I go to buttercup 90% of the time and have been going there for over 25 years. I still remember when we used to pull off the freeway at the rest area. Now they have fenced it all off and everyone exits the new grays well offramp.

DezSled
04-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad to hear that gordons to glamis can still be done, also that algodones is still a place to go. Kinda forgot how much fun it is out there. It's been a while. Thanks

Glamis400ex
04-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Yes, definately the "road" to Glamis from Gordons can still be done. Kinda boring though. You CANNOT, however ride into Mexico from the dunes....not sure if that was ever said. Algodones can still be a destination you just need to drive there instead.

Glamis