PDA

View Full Version : new england riders we need your support!!

94F450SD
04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.woonsocketcall.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16466367&BRD=1712&PAG=461&dept_id=24361&rfi=6

please write a letter supporting our sport!!

Hello fellow ATV riders. Below is a copy of an anti-ATV article that appeared on the front page of today's (April 12) Woonsocket Call. The newspaper publishes in northern Rhode Island and southern Massachusetts. We need as many people as possible to write letters to the paper immediately rebutting the article. Their address is Editor, Woonsocket Call, 75 Main Street, Woonsocket, RI 02895 Also, their web site is www.woonsocketcall.com Here's the article:

Police cracking down on illegal ATV use
JO C. GOODE , Staff Writer

BLACKSTONE -- People riding ATVs on town and private property illegally has been a "bone of contention" to residents and town leaders for several years, according to Town Administrator Raymond W. Houle Jr.
Now with the blessing of town leaders, Police Chief Ross Atstupenas has ordered a crackdown on illegal ATV use within town limits with police officers patrolling on the department’s off-road vehicles.

Advertisement
"There is no place in town to ride unless you own a large amount of property. They don’t belong on town property. They don’t belong on private property," Atstupenas said.

Another problem: off-road vehicles using the local sand and gravel pits for daredevil riding. Besides being destructive and illegal, Atstupenas said, it’s a danger to riders.

"These kids can get seriously hurt in some of these pits," said the chief.

The town is still smarting from vandalism caused at Veterans Field on Elm Street. Last autumn, ATV riders destroyed the field, causing $20,000 worth of damage, Houle said. The vandals destroyed irrigation system.

"We’re not even sure if the town has enough money to fix it," Houle said.

That’s not an isolated incident for illegal ATVs that tax the town’s resources, both men agreed.

The town has received dozens of

complaints of off-road vehicles trespassing on and damaging personal property. The town Fire Department has responded multiple times to brush fires either started by riders or sparked by the machines riding through dry brush.

And police and rescue personnel have had to respond on multiple occasions to assist riders who are injured in the woods and other off-road locations.

The chief said that most of the people riding illegally in town are actually from out of town, a fact that doesn’t sit well with Houle.

"We don’t want Blackstone to be known as the illegal ATV capital of the commonwealth," Houle said.

The off-road patrols on the Police Department’s two quad ATVs began last weekend, said Atstupenas. Four illegal riders who were caught were lucky the police officers chose not to arrest them but only hand out a $250 citation.

A Woonsocket man was arrested after it was discovered he had an outstanding warrant.

In the future, police officers won’t necessarily be so lenient, said Atstupenas. After an arrest, a rider will have to pay $40 for bail and then show up at a court hearing.

Not only that, the police will tow every ATV involved in trespassing, and at least one of the riders last weekend had to fork over a $90 tow fee.

Like police officials in other towns, Atstupenas has heard the complaints from parents of ATV riders that there is no place for their kids to ride.

The parents’ problem doesn’t concern Houle very much.

"I see no place in the state constitution, the United States Constitution or the Blackstone Town Charter where it states we have a responsibility to provide a hangout for kids," Houle said.
please write a letter supporting our sport!!

94F450SD
04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
come on guys.start writing.this is one way for us to be heard around here and may possibly help us get some more legal riding areas

http://www.woonsocketcall.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=16466367&BRD=1712&PAG=461&dept_id=24361&rfi=8

94F450SD
04-19-2006, 09:03 AM
gotta give it a bump to the top.cant let these people win!!!!

300exHILLER
04-19-2006, 10:15 AM
I seen patrols around my house sunday. Lucky I wasn't riding. I got caught last Oct. $90 fine after the cop told me he rides there with his kid too. I'm only 2 miles from Blackstone but I don't ride there. I might have some family ties with this Houle guy. I'll see.

The worst part of this whole story is town next door (uxbridge) shut down a MX track last year. another MX track got closed down in Johnston, RI, 15 miles away from Blackstone, as well.

Stop devloping the town so much and there will not be problem.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

94F450SD
04-25-2006, 06:13 AM
gotta bump it again

Travis712
04-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Put in my word a while ago, bump it up.

Knarf0486
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I wrote a little something too.
I cant stand how these newspapers make these ridiculous accusations like atv's start fires by running through dry brush. come on.

murphy54
05-07-2006, 06:47 AM
YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT