PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke maitnentece

10-05-2001, 05:33 PM
hey i need to know what the proper way to break in a four stroke is and how to maintain it. thanks

Nausty
10-06-2001, 10:34 PM
I thought you were machineless?!:confused:

RideRed04
10-06-2001, 11:23 PM
nausty, that really didnt help him at all. I think you need to cut down on the pointless posts. Joking around is one thing, but lets try not to slow the site down. Leo only has so much space. To break in your 4 stroke, drive for 10 min, staying under 1/2 throttle. let it cool compleatly down. Repeat for 20 min, letting it cool again afterwards. Repeat for 30, and let cool. Finish off the tank going under 3/4 throttle. Change the oil to mobil one synthetic 15W50, and fill your tank. You now have properly worn in rings, and every thing is fitting right. Take it easy for the next tank of gas, varying the throttle alot (dont hold it at one rpm for a long time). Now it will be good. As far as maintanence, change your oil, clean the quad (very important, a dirty quad isnt good to work on), clean AND OIL your air filter, and check nuts, bolts, and tire pressure. After it is broken in, you will probably need to adjust the valves, so if you trust yourself, do it, otherwise bring it to your most trusted dealer.

Nausty
10-06-2001, 11:49 PM
the reason I asked that was because I didn't know if he had a quad or not and I just wanted to know so I didn't have to type up some huge thing when it didn't matter. I figured it would not bother him at all to type yes or no.

MOFO
10-09-2001, 10:10 AM
Nausty....if you are UNSURE about anything, dont freaking post it...ok?! How do you know he is not asking a question for a friend...if your not going to post on topic...or have something to say, dont post at all. Save our bandwidth....anyways....

Redride pretty much covered the break-in procedure for a 4 stroke. As for keeping a 4 stroke up and running, just make sure you change the oil well, keep an eye on th airfilter and adjust the valves as needed. Alot of people dont adjust their valves, but if you want the bike to run for a long time....adjust the vavles...its very easy to do. I would also recommend getting an in-line gas filter that goes between your gas tank and your carb. This will help prevent crap clogging up your carb/jets over time.

Eric

10-09-2001, 05:31 PM
so how do you adjust the valves? and where can i get one of those fuel filters?

thanks for the help

Nausty
10-09-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by VWVR6
Nausty....if you are UNSURE about anything, dont freaking post it...ok?! How do you know he is not asking a question for a friend...if your not going to post on topic...or have something to say, dont post at all.

Since when are you a mod? Look at all my recent posts and i bet you will see almost all good posts. How do I know he is not posting for a freind? I don't thats why i asked. Now stop trying to start s***.

MOFO
10-10-2001, 05:46 AM
Nausty, you've got a PM...lets keep it there.

...anyways...

as for adjusting your valves, all you need are some sockets (forget the sizes) and a feeler gauge. This site explains how to adjust the valves in the DIY area. Check it out....

Eric

JabberJaw
10-10-2001, 08:05 AM
This question gets asked alot. Someone should collect the information and post it in the tech tips area.

10-10-2001, 11:00 AM
dont listen to them.my wife has owned three four stokes and never once have we broke them in.just ride it and dont keep it on full throttle to long.