PDA

View Full Version : How do you rebend a tie rod?

Honda400exrox
04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
How do you rebend a bent tierod, some kid on a utility hit my quad when I was riding, and it bent my left front tie rod, so when my handle bars are straight, the front left wheel goes to the left a little bit

exrider008
04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
u dont! u could but i woulnt. just go buy a new one.

miller821
04-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Get you a pipe or a board.... Worked for me.

04-13-2006, 05:27 PM
they cost like $10. your gonna get yourself hurt bending it back and forth because it will weaken and snap on you when your riding and you can guess what your tire is gonna do. YOU WILL NEVER GET IT STRAIGHT AGAIN.

Aceman
04-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Stick it in a vice or even a reciever hitch, bend into a horseshoe and dispose of it. Waaahllla, it's fixed.;) I wouldn't trust a rebent tie rod. That sounds like a fast trip over the handlebars when it breaks.

04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
but...one thing a bent tierod is good for is you can get it close to being straight and then use that as a tool for popping your swingarm pivot bolt out to grease it up

miller821
04-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Mine ain't exactly straight, but it ain't bad.... But mine wasn't very bent and we were going riding the next day, so I just said screw it..

Teufel
04-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Buy A new one! I replaced my with stainless rods from a guy that sells them on ebay. i love them.:cool:

04-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Teufel
Buy A new one! I replaced my with stainless rods from a guy that sells them on ebay. i love them.:cool: id just get stock ones. tie rods are supposed to bend so other parts and body parts dont bend or break

TheFontMaster
04-13-2006, 05:51 PM
For a quick fix, just get a metal rod, or pry bar and and just bend it into place while it's on the quad.

Honda400exrox
04-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Ok thanks, so they dont cost very much?

nosliw
04-13-2006, 05:55 PM
nope only $8 a pop. for the KFX anyway.... that thing bends them all the time. the EX's are a lot stronger.

Punk'd
04-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Heat it up with a propane torch and stick it in a vice and beat on it.. Thats what i did

pit/wood
04-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Heres what a bent and straightened tie-rod does to ya. It is off a warrior, I was hittin a little pop-up jump(bout 20" tall) in the woods. the suspension compressed and it bent again and broke the tie-rod end causing an endo coming off the jump. did a faceplant and the quad landed on my arm. 1 week in the nurse corral and 3 operations later I dont think a couple hours ridin with a straightened tie-rod was worth it.

you may think you have it straight,but unless you use a dial indicator and check the runout it will not be very straight. even then it has still been stressed where it bent changing the properties of the steel at that point. the bend causes the inside to compress and the outside of the bend to expand, you can never get it to be as strong as it was when it was made. Even if you weld a support on it the heat from welding has changed the steel.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207240&perpage=15&pagenumber=10

04-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by pit/wood
Heres what a bent and straightened tie-rod does to ya. It is off a warrior, I was hittin a little pop-up jump(bout 20" tall) in the woods. the suspension compressed and it bent again and broke the tie-rod end causing an endo coming off the jump. did a faceplant and the quad landed on my arm. 1 week in the nurse corral and 3 operations later I dont think a couple hours ridin with a straightened tie-rod was worth it.

you may think you have it straight,but unless you use a dial indicator and check the runout it will not be very straight. even then it has still been stressed where it bent changing the properties of the steel at that point. the bend causes the inside to compress and the outside of the bend to expand, you can never get it to be as strong as it was when it was made. Even if you weld a support on it the heat from welding has changed the steel.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207240&perpage=15&pagenumber=10 WHAT DID I ****ING TELL YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?! lol theres why you dont nigrig a bent tierod

miller821
04-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
WHAT DID I ****ING TELL YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?! lol theres why you dont nigrig a bent tierod
Ya but nigriggin it is cheap... And Ghetto... You ever seen Huevos 8 where the guy wheelies and wrecks on his bike.... He just puts a napkin on his leg and duct tapes it.... Thats ghetto for ya.

04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Ya but nigriggin it is cheap... And Ghetto... You ever seen Huevos 8 where the guy wheelies and wrecks on his bike.... He just puts a napkin on his leg and duct tapes it.... Thats ghetto for ya. u should see my bandade for hockey..i take a big sock and wrap it around my knee and then ductap that to my knee...Tennessee bandaid

miller821
04-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
u should see my bandade for hockey..i take a big sock and wrap it around my knee and then ductap that to my knee...Tennessee bandaid
Thuggin it out. Who you play hockey for???? SIU have a team??

nickmelll
04-14-2006, 02:00 PM
u could straighten the tie rod. but after its straight take the end off and put a peice of pipe that fits tightly on it. that will strenghthen it . worked 4 me

SRH
04-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
How do you rebend a bent tierod, some kid on a utility hit my quad when I was riding, and it bent my left front tie rod, so when my handle bars are straight, the front left wheel goes to the left a little bit

hit another tree it will prob bend again im sure