PDA

View Full Version : Time To Get A Truck

antman
04-13-2006, 09:07 AM
allright guys... i am finally going to get a truck cause i need transportation to my new job... but what should i be loking to get... i need to find somthing used and i only got like 6 grand... any sugestions ... i kinda want somthing newer, but not shure what 6 grand will get me...
what have you guys gotten/ seen in this price range???

quads14589
04-13-2006, 09:26 AM
f350 diseal thats wut my dad got hahah

04-13-2006, 10:03 AM
TOYOTA

nosliw
04-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
TOYOTA

MoToX199
04-13-2006, 10:12 AM
silverado 1500;)

Quad18star
04-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Whatever you do .... make sure you think about how much gas is going to cost you . If you're going to be doing a lot of travelling , I wouldn't be buying a new full size v8 truck ..... I'd be thinking of a smaller v6 or even a small 4 cylinder . Might not have the baddest truck out there with a 4 cylinder ... but it sure makes up for it at the pumps . My old man has a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 and it's costing him almost $130 - $160 to fill it up every week ... do the math and figure out what that is per month .... it's rediculous !!!!:ermm:

MoToX199
04-13-2006, 10:25 AM
thats true i never thought about the gas price,well i know the silverado averages around 18 mpg so thats not that bad i think

PismoLocal
04-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Toyota tacoma i just bought one, Its pretty sweet.

NorCalRacer
04-13-2006, 10:40 AM
BUY AMERICAN. IT WILL RUN 10 TIMES LONGER THAN MOST JAPANESE VEHICLES WHEN TAKEN CARE OF. 88-98 CHEVY MADE A FULL SIZE TRUCK THAT WAS THE MOST RELIABLE TRUCK EVER BUILT TO THIS DAY. BUYING JAPANESE IS PROBABLY A MISTAKE IF YOU WANT A REAL TRUCK, AND I'LL KEEP MY OPINION OF TOYOTA TO MYSELF.
BUY AMERICAN FOR QUALITY, BUY FOREIGN IF YOU LIKE OVERPRICED NAMES.:muscle:

PismoLocal
04-13-2006, 10:49 AM
My tahoe was unreliable I went through a rear end, 3 starters, countless u joints, and 5 of my 8 injectors, i bought the beast in 2002 and i sold it 2 weeks ago. Nothin like the grunt of a V8 though. My new truck feels like im driving a lifted car.

NorCalRacer
04-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
My tahoe was unreliable I went through a rear end, 3 starters, countless u joints, and 5 of my 8 injectors, i bought the beast in 2002 and i sold it 2 weeks ago. Nothin like the grunt of a V8 though. My new truck feels like im driving a lifted car.

WHAT YEAR IS YOUR TAHOE? MULTIPLE INJECTORS SOUNDS LIKE A NEW ONE. AFTER 1998 CHEVY FORGOT HOW TO MAKE A QUALITY TRUCK.

PWM_330EX
04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
BUY AMERICAN. IT WILL RUN 10 TIMES LONGER THAN MOST JAPANESE VEHICLES WHEN TAKEN CARE OF. 88-98 CHEVY MADE A FULL SIZE TRUCK THAT WAS THE MOST RELIABLE TRUCK EVER BUILT TO THIS DAY. BUYING JAPANESE IS PROBABLY A MISTAKE IF YOU WANT A REAL TRUCK, AND I'LL KEEP MY OPINION OF TOYOTA TO MYSELF.

C'mon..I'm all for buying American and I did but I wouldn't say Japanese quality is worse than the Big 3's. If you're looking strictly at quality (not towing capacity, payload capacity,etc.), I think Japanese quality is better but the big 3 are certainly improving.

P.S. How's the intake gasket on your 98 GM350??

Tom TRX250R
04-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Now that is simply an ignorant comment probably coming from a 14 year old that has never even owned a vehicle. Its a proven fact that Japanese vehicles are built to a higher quality than most domestic vehicles. Check consumer reports!!!! Another huge impact on buying a car is resale value, domestic vehicles (especially cars)depreciate in value much faster than a import vehicle. For example, you buy a Honda Accord new for $22,000 and then you buy a Pontiac Grand Am for around the same price. After about 3 years the Pontiac will be worth around $10,000 while the Honda will retain most of its value and will be worth around $17-18,000. Before making ignorant comments do some research first!!! AND TURN THE CAPS OFF!:mad:

antman
04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
what should i look for in the $6000 price range?

quads14589
04-13-2006, 02:12 PM
ford ranger or s-10

miller821
04-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
ford ranger or s-10
Yup go with a ranger.... 4X4 of course though.

PismoLocal
04-13-2006, 02:29 PM
My tahoe was a 99 which is the same as the 98 I think. It still had the 5.7 vortech they didnt start putting the 5.3 in them til 00 when they restyled the body too. They chevy trucks got the remodel in 99.

Stevie-D
04-13-2006, 05:38 PM
if you get an older dodge dont go with an auto tranny:mad: i found that out the hard way:devil:

bulkdriverlp
04-13-2006, 05:55 PM
6 grand wont buy you much, maybe a mid-90's ranger:D

underpowered
04-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
6 grand wont buy you much, maybe a mid-90's ranger:D

bought a truck lately? the price has dropped out of used stuff. Around here i see full size Chevys going for about 5-7k for a late OBS, 96-98. you should be able to pick up a 1500 4x4 for about your price range. if you want a small truck, toyota is hard to beat, but pricy for how small they are. you may be able to get a 95-97 taco for about 6k, or you could look for an older one. As for fuel milage, my buddies 1997 chevy k1500 4x4 gets about 16 around town and 18 on the highway driving conservatively, being hard on it he gets about 13-15. as for the yota, a 4 banger 22re will get ya at about 20, the 6 will only be slightly lower.

and NorCalRacer, what are you talking about. I have to say i am die hard chevy fan, but For longevity, a toyota 22re cant be beat. you cant kill a toyota, believe me, i have tried many times, and only kill one due to a blown head gasket.

NorCalRacer
04-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Now that is simply an ignorant comment probably coming from a 14 year old that has never even owned a vehicle. Its a proven fact that Japanese vehicles are built to a higher quality than most domestic vehicles. Check consumer reports!!!! Another huge impact on buying a car is resale value, domestic vehicles (especially cars)depreciate in value much faster than a import vehicle. For example, you buy a Honda Accord new for $22,000 and then you buy a Pontiac Grand Am for around the same price. After about 3 years the Pontiac will be worth around $10,000 while the Honda will retain most of its value and will be worth around $17-18,000. Before making ignorant comments do some research first!!! AND TURN THE CAPS OFF!:mad:

I AM A SEMI-PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC 4-5 DAYS A WEEK AND WORK ON A VARIETY OF CARS AND I ALSO USED TO HOLD A VEHICLE SALESPERSON LICENSE, NOT AN IGNORANT 14 YEAR OLD. I WAS OFFERING MY OPINION AND YOU CALL NAMES. WHO IS IMMATURE AND IGNORANT? I HAVE PROBABLY FORGOTTEN MORE ABOUT VEHICLES THAN YOU HAVE LEARNED AND TRUST WHAT I SEE WITH MY OWN EYES, NOT A MAGAZINE. HE IS ALSO ASKING ABOUT A TRUCK, NOT AN ACCORD. HONDA BUILDS A TRUCK, BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A FRAME.
A TOYOTA IS A GOOD TRUCK, BUT YOU PAY IMPORT ON PARTS, THEY CAN'T TOW ANYTHING SUBSTANTIAL. ONCE THE ENGINE GOES, THEY ARE NOT REBUILDABLE UNLESS YOU LIKE BURNING ALOT OF OIL.
I WAS SIMPLY OFFERING AN OPINION, PLEASE KEEP THE NAME CALLING TO YOURSELF. BY THE WAY, READING A MAGAZINE IS NOT RESEARCH.

miller821
04-13-2006, 11:06 PM
^^^ Lets keep it rated G, ain't nothing to get worked up about, and get this thread closed...

Diedrich
04-13-2006, 11:12 PM
i would go with a z-71..i got my 96 for 5g's..most of em will last for a good 300,000 miles and the vortec motors have plenty of power

04-14-2006, 04:34 AM

A TOYOTA IS A GOOD TRUCK, BUT YOU PAY IMPORT ON PARTS, THEY CAN'T TOW ANYTHING SUBSTANTIAL. ONCE THE ENGINE GOES, THEY ARE NOT REBUILDABLE UNLESS YOU LIKE BURNING ALOT OF OIL.
I WAS SIMPLY OFFERING AN OPINION, PLEASE KEEP THE NAME CALLING TO YOURSELF. BY THE WAY, READING A MAGAZINE IS NOT RESEARCH. as much as I hate to admit it you are correct. My toyota engine is rebuilt and burns about a 2 quarts of oil every 3000 miles but theres no smoke so IDK. BUT the rebuilt engine does have 150,000 miles on it now and the frame has 320,000. ill stick with my toyota 22re pickup 4x4

NorCalRacer
04-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by PWM_330EX
C'mon..I'm all for buying American and I did but I wouldn't say Japanese quality is worse than the Big 3's. If you're looking strictly at quality (not towing capacity, payload capacity,etc.), I think Japanese quality is better but the big 3 are certainly improving.

P.S. How's the intake gasket on your 98 GM350??

IF YOU DON'T WANT PAYLOAD AND TOWING, A TRUCK IMITATING A CAR IS WHAT YOU WANT. THE JAPANESE ARE BETTER THAN AMERICAN FOR SURE. THE NEW CHEV'Y'S RIDE TERRIBLE TOO, PROBABLY FOR COMFORT OVER EVERYTHING ELSE. I AM NOT HERE AT THIS POST TO ARGUE BUT AND I REST MY POINT. MECHANICS WILL SEE AND HOPEFULLY THE PERSON BUYING THE TRUCK READS THIS.
MY TRUCK= AMERICAN
MY OTHER TRUCK= AMERICAN
MY QUAD= AMERICAN

NICE THING ABOUT A CHEVY, YOU CAN REPLACE THAT INTAKE GASKET IN A COUPLE HOURS EASY.

04-14-2006, 09:40 AM
IF YOU DON'T WANT PAYLOAD AND TOWING, A TRUCK IMITATING A CAR IS WHAT YOU WANT. THE JAPANESE ARE BETTER THAN AMERICAN FOR SURE. THE NEW CHEV'Y'S RIDE TERRIBLE TOO, PROBABLY FOR COMFORT OVER EVERYTHING ELSE. I AM NOT HERE AT THIS POST TO ARGUE BUT AND I REST MY POINT. MECHANICS WILL SEE AND HOPEFULLY THE PERSON BUYING THE TRUCK READS THIS.
MY TRUCK= AMERICAN
MY OTHER TRUCK= AMERICAN
MY QUAD= AMERICAN

NICE THING ABOUT A CHEVY, YOU CAN REPLACE THAT INTAKE GASKET IN A COUPLE HOURS EASY. even though i think you are wrong u do make some good points. Ill stick with my toyotas any day but I dont do any towing.....just a little offroading and a lot of everyday driving

NorCalRacer
04-14-2006, 09:49 AM
I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT TOYOTA IS A SUPERIOR OFF ROAD VEHICLE TO A CHEVY. CHEVY'S NEED EXTENSIVE MODS TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE WITH A STOCK YOTA.
OKAY, YOU BEAT ME THERE...
YOU SHOULD SEE MY FRIEND'S TOYOTA 4 WHEEL DRIVE, HE PUT A CHEVY 305 IN IT. IT STILL RUNS STRONG:D

JIMTED79
04-14-2006, 09:56 AM
I own both 94 toyota pick up with 22re and 97 chevy Z71. Chevy pusing 140,000 thousand and toy pushing 160,000 both run like champs and no problems. If your limited to six grand than I'm thinking you don't have a big gas budget, get a four banger for sure.

04-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by JIMTED79
If your limited to six grand than I'm thinking you don't have a big gas budget, get a four banger for sure. that pretty much sums up this one

Ghost-Rider
04-14-2006, 10:41 AM

Amen ....... its out own peoples ignorance that or ecomy goin down i live in Michigan big 3 thrives here you have no idea what all these jappanese cars are doing my dad works for ford it is totaly screwing everything up and get a f-150 cause rangers arent as good on gas as youd think we had one once and i dont care if i get called a stupid 12 year old kid i was in colorado once and heard a coomerical on the radio "drive right on past that amercian dealer and come on ito so and sos toyato"..........THEYD BE SHOT WHERE I LIVE
BUY AMERICAN !!!

450r51
04-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT TOYOTA IS A SUPERIOR OFF ROAD VEHICLE TO A CHEVY. CHEVY'S NEED EXTENSIVE MODS TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE WITH A STOCK YOTA.
OKAY, YOU BEAT ME THERE...
YOU SHOULD SEE MY FRIEND'S TOYOTA 4 WHEEL DRIVE, HE PUT A CHEVY 305 IN IT. IT STILL RUNS STRONG:D

turn of the caps lock....its very annoying.