PDA

View Full Version : Bombardier 800?? Good or bad?

BansheeBen
04-13-2006, 08:14 AM
I want to get a outlander 800, but before i shell out the cash for it, i just want to know if anybody has had any prolems with them. I know it has the best warenty 3 years, and i want the fastest and most powerfull big bore out there and the bomb is it.

400exc
04-13-2006, 08:44 PM
1 word describes it = awesome! but yea, you will get everything you want for the money you spend. no complains or bad things to say about it.. yet

Mike Walker
04-14-2006, 10:20 AM
For a stock quad... honestly nothing can beat it... even drag racing lots of sport quads will fall to a stock 800 Outlander...

... I got the chance to drive a stock one, when Bomb Corp. asked me to compete with one at the ATV pulls at the '06 Mud Nationals... that thing has as much acceleration between 20 mph & 40 mph as nearly anything I've ridden...

I do think that a properly set up Kawi can can beat it in both the drags & pulls, but only with maximum mods done to it... & I will go out on a limb here, & say that the Bomb bottom end is softer than the Kawi's are stock, but if an aftermarket module or CDI comes out similar to what is available for the Kawi's, they will be undisputed #1...

BTW... I got the chance to also throw a leg over Mike Pendlands race quad, while I was there one day as well
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Melons
04-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Not good or bad... Great.. I have had mine since Jan 31 and it is great. I put a hmf pipe and dobeck on it, the thing is fast. I love it. Buy it and get the best quad made.

chevy71
04-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Mind you I have no dealings with Bomb, but this is a paraphrase of a review that I read a while back. It basically stated that the SST frame would bend easily if it was hit (wreck or rock crawling). Then to fix the frame would require significant time and expense basically taking the entire quad apart.

Can anyone else confirm my recollection?

James

First Outlander
04-17-2006, 04:41 PM
You should get skid plates for rock crawling to avoid dents. The frame will dent if you take a direct hit but it wont break. I race mine in GNCC's it is by far IMO the best overall ute ATV made. Best waranty, best handling and most power. I beat it to death jumping, extreme hillclimbing, rockhounding and all types of racing!!! Not one problem. Did I say I love this Quad.

MudMonsterGrizz
04-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Mike, if you are saying the BRP 800 is a super strong quad with not a whole lot of power down low...I agree. From what I saw on dyno runs it has a ton of power, just not near enough down low.

Mike Walker
04-18-2006, 06:52 AM
I'm betting that they built a "safety lag" on the bottom, into the CDI, like Kawi did... if thats the case, & it was done in a way so that an aftermarket company can either do a module or replacement CDI, like they make for the Kawi's... then I do think the Bombs will really dominate in the power department as far as quads with bolt on mods...

but I do think that the Kawi's have a slightly stronger bottom end stock to stock & definately do with a module or CDI, but that Bomb is REALLY strong between 20 & 40 mph...

MudMonsterGrizz
04-18-2006, 06:56 AM
I was looking at some of the dyno runs and it appears the BRP 800 hits peak power in high range around 50MPH. Before the 50MPH mark it doesn’t look very impressive to me. In low range it looks better, but is still hitting peak power very high. Honestly my grizz put up just as impressive or better low end number…granted it won’t touch it on top end, but I don’t care about top end power…I just want massive bottom end.

Mike Walker
04-18-2006, 07:25 AM
for "real" bottom end grunt, it's pretty hard to beat the big single's... the Rincon, would probably be a pretty good machine for mudding, if someone could talk Honda into throwing a low range on that quad... & the King Quad now that the reverse issue is fixed... I really want to see what that Cat with the KQ motor can do... it may be the best stock mudding machine out there, if it's "bug free" from the start...

... & course Yami must be finally going to do an upgrade on the Griz this year ( at least you'd think )

however, my biggest problem with all these new quads, is all the complex electrical stuff... it might be fine for the weekend rec rider, but IMO, it doesn't belong on a quad that's going to see the mud & water...

is the Visco Lock a mechanical unit ( I think it is )... if thats the case, I'd much rather have it than the electric locking front diffs, & have to admit, that while "Doug Meyer" ( ATV TV Show ) doesn't like it because it's not "automatic", IMO, Kawi's cable driven diff lock is the most versiltile out there... ( just wish the front diffys were holding up better )

prairie al
04-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Mike Walker
I'm betting that they built a "safety lag" on the bottom, into the CDI, like Kawi did... if thats the case, & it was done in a way so that an aftermarket company can either do a module or replacement CDI, like they make for the Kawi's... then I do think the Bombs will really dominate in the power department as far as quads with bolt on mods...

but I do think that the Kawi's have a slightly stronger bottom end stock to stock & definately do with a module or CDI, but that Bomb is REALLY strong between 20 & 40 mph...

Mike I traded my 02 prairie for the outty, and I think you may be right about the kawies pulling a little harder on the bottom (with a module or cdi)but after that the outty pulls like a freight train all the way to the top.I know T Rex pulls harder though from what I have seen you do last year at the mud nationals.If you want to get a vdi for T Rex I got one if you are interested with everything (pod,usb cables,new ngk spark plug wires never opened )nothing wrong with it just did'nt let it go with the prairie.I'll let it go cheap $175.

04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
my brute force750 will beat that thing in a drag race... but they look like outstanding bikes...i would prefer to buy one

04-20-2006, 04:27 PM
my brute force750 will beat that thing in a drag race... but they look like outstanding bikes...i would prefer to buy one

:huh .... a stock outlander vs. a stock brute froce 750... a outlander will smoke the brute... I recall a dirt wheels mag. when they had the 800 outlander vs. the 800 sportsman... outlander ended up winnin by 2 1/2 lengths if i recall right... and sometime before that they had a 750 brute force vs. a 800 sportsman and the sportsman and brute force where bumper to bumper the whole race until the last 10 yards and the sportsman won

04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
o ya i rember that .......NO... if i recall i raced a 800 po po and wooped it

jordan_400ex
12-05-2006, 08:40 PM
my dad has one.there awesome he never lets me ride it.but when he leaves i usually take it for a spin but i keep it in low range so i dont kill myself.it has a ton of power.our truck died once(battery went dead)and it pulled it up our drive wya in low range 2wd