PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Screw Setting

400excracer
04-13-2006, 04:55 AM
OK so I am jetting my carb last night on my 06 450ER and the last step is to adjust the fuel scew. Not only is it impossible to get to but I cant seem to find a slot. Now that I have taken the carb off the motor and tilted it in the frame I see that there is no slot and it is D shaped. Since then I have done some research and I now know about the aftermarket scew that I need to install. I was able to use a pair of tweezers to adjust it, but I am not 100% it is right. I think that the stock setting was 1 1/2 turns out. Is this what you guys are seeing. I know that they are not all going to be the same, but I am just trying to get an idea. I have to have it done tonight because I am leaving to go riding tomorrow morning. By the way, I adjusted it to 2 1/2 turns out (I think?).

QuadRacer041
04-13-2006, 05:15 AM
i have a 45 pilot jet and im at 2 1/4 turns out.

400excracer
04-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks, but I am just really looking for the stock setting for the fuel screw to see if I have it sett correctly.

quad2xtreme
04-13-2006, 07:09 AM
technically, it is 2 3/8 turns out.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-13-2006, 07:51 AM
There isn't a slot in the stock fuel screw it is a D shape. Motion pro makes a special tool or you can change to an aftermarket
T-handle screw

redforman
04-13-2006, 08:27 AM
We have discovered the same problem.

I think 1 1/2 turns is right for the stock setting. It seems, by reading all the posts, that somewhere around 2 to 2 1/2 turns after jetting would be in the ballpark. As you have stated, you won't know for sure. The only way you will be able to set it is after the bike is warmed up with a "T" handle adjuster or one similar to the Zip Ty adjuster.

I have spent this week researching the aftermarket adjuster. We have found out that the Scott's T handle adjuster will work. I have confirmed that by contacting James Dean and someone at HMF. Although a Scott's rep said he didn't think it would work! We ordered one from JD Jetting. You can also get one from Woodward Specialties. Their's is similar to the ZipTy adjuster. They sent me an email confirming that theirs has been tested and works with the '06 TRX.

I would recommend making sure that you get the spring, oring and washer in the proper order before installing the aftermarket adjuster. I am also going to use some Silicone seal after installing it just as an extra measure of safety.

The proper way to adjust it is: Crank the bike and warm it up. Turn fuel adjuster in all the way. Turn out until you reach the highest rev's. Turn out a little further until it drops and then back in just to be sure. If you have to go out approximately 3 turns, you probably need a larger pilot. If you are about 1 turn out you would need to go with a leaner pilot.

Hope this helps someone, and maybe saves thems some frustration!

400excracer
04-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I feel more confident about putting this thing back together now. I will try to find one of those adjuster screws before I get home tonight.

quad2xtreme
04-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
technically, it is 2 3/8 turns out.

I got this info from the HRC kit manual. It does a comparison of stock settings to those with the HRC kit.

/Jon

Ex'r Marlin
04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by redforman
... I am also going to use some Silicone seal after installing it just as an extra measure of safety.

I agree 100% on this! The fuel screw on my '06 450R fell out while riding... Don't let this happen to you!