PDA

View Full Version : 416ex questions

mickey400ex
04-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Im gonna order a 416 kit this weekend, i have found them on ebay for 350.00 for everything you need, my question is should i just get the kit with the sleeve or bore my sleeve out to a 416? also im gonna go with the magnum stage 2 cam, with this kit and a hmf pipe am i gonna see noticeable gains such as keeping up with stock raptors, 450s's? or am I just gonna get smoked but not as bad

GPracer2500
04-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mickey400ex
Im gonna order a 416 kit this weekend, i have found them on ebay for 350.00 for everything you need, my question is should i just get the kit with the sleeve or bore my sleeve out to a 416? also im gonna go with the magnum stage 2 cam, with this kit and a hmf pipe am i gonna see noticeable gains such as keeping up with stock raptors, 450s's? or am I just gonna get smoked but not as bad

Stock Raptor--maybe you'll be close but probably not unless the Raptor isn't ridden or tuned well.

Any 450--not a chance.

You will see a noticable and (perhaps) satisfying improvement in performance though.

Kilabanshee
04-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I have to disagree. My old 416ex porting, bored carb, k&n, hotcam, ect could beat a stock yfz or 450r by about a quad length. Raptors would be even farther back. A well built 416ex can run real good.

GPracer2500
04-12-2006, 09:26 PM
If he had "porting, bored carb, k&n...ect" in addition to what he listed, then he would fair slightly better. In my experience, it takes quite a bit of 400EX work to compete with 450s [shrug].

ETA: a bone stock YFZ450 makes 40+ HP according to these charts: http://www.gtthunder.com/YFZ450.html. It would take a pretty heavily built 416 to approach 40hp.

tar
04-13-2006, 06:22 AM
the yfz has more like 33-35hp

Kilabanshee
04-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Hp doesn't always determine who wins the race...

GPracer2500
04-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Kilabanshee
Hp doesn't always determine who wins the race...

I won't disagree with that!

Nonetheless, I still hold the opinion that the average 416EX isn't gonna be close to the average 450. Do basic things to a 450 like remove the airbox lid, the exhaust baffle, and rejet and you've still got a "stock" bike that is very very fast. I've witnessed (and participated) in hundreds of drag races up Oldsmobile Hill and 400EXs of almost any tune aren't even close to the newer more advanced machines. After seeing so many races the individual differences between bikes and riders gets averaged out and the "truth" becomes clear. Does that experience make me an expert--perhaps not. But the evidence I've seen has me completely convinced.

I suppose I'm just a little pesimistic about trying to turn 400EXs into something they're not. In my experience, the investment in time and money it takes to get a 400EX to compete evenly with the newer machinery will get you a whole new quad that is a better performer all around.

I'm not bashing 400EXs (I have one myself and it's a good quad) and I believe it is worth it to turn them up a little, but in almost every case they will never be a 450.

Cheers :)

cals400ex
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
get around 10.8:1 compression or so if you want to run pump gas. run a decent cam. i know nothing about the magnum cams. the stage 2 and 3 hotcams are both good and cheap. get a full HMF. that will make quite a differnce over the slip on. even if you have to buy one used, it will be better than a slip on. you will then probaly need a rev box. make jetting changes and you will be set. this setup will probaly get you infront of a stock 04-05 450r. ours always did anyways. once the 450r had the cam and a pipe, good luck.

jsmith2232
04-14-2006, 09:29 AM
against a stock yfz450 you have a pretty good chance of keeping up with the same build as i have, I drag raced a stock 06 yfz last night but the rider is really new to riding and i had him until i was pinned in 5th, but without a pipe on the yfz there initial throttle response in my opinion sucks but I took it for a ride and it was definitely faster once it winds out. stock 05" andolder 450's you will probably be able to get a jump on them off the line but they will probably catch you in 4th or 5th, Mostly it depends on the rider.