PDA

View Full Version : possible clutch problem

stang65pony
04-12-2006, 03:26 PM
ok, i ride an 05' raptor 660r, i have had it almost a year. i ride pretty hard, not affraid to break the thing, my question is, is my clutch going out? my evidence, when starting bike lunges forward even though clutch is fully pulled in, hard to shift from a stop (forward/reverse too), when hard acceleration shifting through the gears, i'll be in 5th and it will drop back down to 4th, the adjustment above the crankcase thing is almost out of adjustment. the part that the clutch cable pulls in and u can regulate its travel. so does this mean i need a new clutch? if so where is the best place to buy and what all will i need to replace it. thanx for any advice

stang65pony
04-12-2006, 11:50 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

04-13-2006, 12:08 AM
i just got a brand new clutch and i have the same problem

stang65pony
04-13-2006, 01:15 PM
well i know there is the adjustment on the side that i tinkerd with and it fixed it for a while but i keep having to loosen it up or whatever for it to work right.

04-13-2006, 09:33 PM
yea me too it was fine when i got it and then i had to adjust it and now its messed up again :grr:

stang65pony
04-14-2006, 04:13 PM
i wish someone would jump in here and help us out!!!!!! pweeeeeeeeessssseeeeee

GPracer2500
04-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Do you have the proper free play at the clutch lever? There should be some lever travel before the cable actually goes under tension and activates the clutch.

An old rule of thumb is that the thickness of a nickle (or penny) should fit between the lever and the lever perch before the cable tension starts.

1987 trx350x
04-14-2006, 05:54 PM
sounds like you have a problem of your plates sticking together. either from rust, not enough oil, not the right type of oil, or overheating. i would pull it apart and inspect the plates, basket, springs and oil. if the oil smells or looks burnt, you probably have an overheating problem. and the problem shifting, sounds like your gear dogs are on their way out. when you shift, make sure you pull up on the lever fully, and let the clutch out before you let go of the shift lever. power shifting is only going to make it worse.

Eddiesanders250
04-14-2006, 07:35 PM
right. your plates are sticking together not separating all the way. take off the side cover and see if there are grooves in the side of the basket where the plates touch. if there are that is your problem. you can either file down the side of the basket or replace it.

04-14-2006, 10:13 PM
i just got a new clutch kit like week ago:confused:

stang65pony
04-15-2006, 11:14 PM
awesome advice guys, i'll pull it apart and inspect it asap. thanx!!!

stang65pony
04-20-2006, 04:45 PM
ok, broke down and took it to the shop yesterday. hope it isnt too costly to fix.