PDA

View Full Version : zero pre load ?

novaracr70
04-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok i have a couple questions. 1 can someone explain zpl to me? 2 if you have alot of sag like i understand zps does. Dont u loose some of the shocks stroke? 3 I come from a dirt bike background and if you dont set sag properly two low and shock becomes harsh becouse of the valving . 4 I want the lower ride hight of zpl its a sand queen 250r i have triple rate rez works on front and stock rear can i make them zpl?

300exOH
04-12-2006, 11:40 AM
zero preload just allows the quad to sit lower and have a lower center of gravity. They shouldn't be harsh if they are set up properly and the ride height is correct. If you have the shock converted to zpl the builder should be able to recommend the proper ride height for the typoe of riding you do. I believe works has a zero preload setup available but you may be better off talking to someone like derisi or even C&D for the conversion. I have my rear works shock converted to no preload and it works very well. You may lose some upward travel but with zpl you will have much more down travel which will allow the wheels to follow the terrain much better.

punker69q
04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Zero preload shocks are simply shocks that have close to zero preload when fully extended, because of a tender small spring. The suspension doesn't come harsh because the shocks are sprung and valved accordingly and the valving is not position sensitive, but velocity sensitive. The gains from lower center of gravity are greater than the loss from less travel, which is still enough anyway. When fully compressed, the suspension of my 250r allow the frame to lightly touch the ground sometimes, which make for about 7-8 inches of travel when the shocks are compressed by my weight.

wicked265R
04-12-2006, 04:12 PM
i never really felt a huge difference in zp shock over non zp style shocks. It is noticeable with a long travel front end but standard isnt really much. I'll take my 19.25in fully adj. axis over a pair of PEPs with a zpl spring and compression adj. The pro's don't even use shocks with zps springs. ZPS shocks seem to make more noise to when riding. Like I said, It's not much of a difference, but my R sits so low as it is that my frame would deffinetly hit with zpl sprung shocks.

BTW, Punker69, get a closer pic of your shocks because they dont look like they have a zpl spring. those look like standard travel tripple rate shocks, no zps. Thats what I see from that pic. I may be wrong

250-R-250
04-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Here is a pic of mine, I havent ridden them yet but I can tell the sit lower.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Kane/DSCF0748.JPG

punker69q
04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by wicked265R
i never really felt a huge difference in zp shock over non zp style shocks. It is noticeable with a long travel front end but standard isnt really much. I'll take my 19.25in fully adj. axis over a pair of PEPs with a zpl spring and compression adj. The pro's don't even use shocks with zps springs. ZPS shocks seem to make more noise to when riding. Like I said, It's not much of a difference, but my R sits so low as it is that my frame would deffinetly hit with zpl sprung shocks.

BTW, Punker69, get a closer pic of your shocks because they dont look like they have a zpl spring. those look like standard travel tripple rate shocks, no zps. Thats what I see from that pic. I may be wrong

They are 19¼ long zps. Axis and elka are also zps, as they sag too, they just give it another name. Zps shocks are really just a shock with a really soft first spring, nothin fancy about that... I do prefer the axis and elka setup of a spring that will barely compress under the weight of the quad + rider, as opposed to the way too soft and useless spring pep use.

punker69q
04-12-2006, 05:31 PM
And your frame would not hit the ground more with zps shocks, they have the same compressed lenght than regular shocks, when properly matched for the application.

beerock
04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
truth is pep has a patent on the zps(his brother is a patent lawyer)

you cant use light weight springs like peps setup.

all the other company have zero preloads as well

there called self sagging device(which is the same thing)

the funny thing is elka thought they could step up the game by BS'N everyone into thinking there quad rate is quadrate. ITS NOT its a true triple rate(which pep did long time ago)

i had standard travels works and i made them zps with some ssd elka springs with santo derisis help i had a pretty nice set of shocks i built myself.

the ssd(zps shocks i converted felt much bette rin terms of i could hit turns faste without worrying about high siding.

well my 2 cents for whats its worth

wicked265R
04-13-2006, 07:10 AM
so your gunna tell me that my axis have zps springs in them? just called something else? :huh

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/RRPcr250r/sideshot.jpg

punker69q
04-13-2006, 08:00 AM
They allow your quad to sag under your weight and it's own weight for a ride height that is the same that a zps (pep) shock, so yes, they are pretty much the same. Axis and Elka shocks come with a stiffer small spring than pep, the pep spring is almost useless, but you can adjust the preload with you bare fingers because this spring is so soft.

novaracr70
04-13-2006, 10:08 AM
were can you buy just the zpl light springs?

beerock
04-13-2006, 10:47 AM
yea you can adjust the preload real easy on the peps, i have done it on the axis before and its a little harder but same procedure.

you need a buddy to lift the front end to so the preload adjustment with the zps your buddy doesnt have to lift the bike as high to make adjustments. axis and elka you need to lift the bike higher and its harder to compress the spring with your fingers on the spring stop then pull down hold it and adjust the clip... higher or lower...
adjusting this clip raises the bike up a bit or lowers it as well the sweet spot is getting it right in betweeen to low and too high for the suspension setup.

like for example, when i first rode my bike and i was setting up the suspension I had it set real low i could rail through turns like you couldnt believe but the bike would bottom out when conditions got a bit rough so i went 2 clips lower on the preload clip and it affectedly stopped the bottoming, but, now the bike can stil rail through turns but not nearly as aggesively as before when it was a little lower.

that in esscence is why zps was invented, because if the bike could not sag like they do, the speeds reached would not be attainable there would be alot more wrecks and high sides if we were still not sagging these atv's

wicked265R
04-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I can deffinetly agree with you there beerock. my quad can really rail turns like no other. bottoming isnt much of an issue with me cause im a light-weight rider. I'll have to readjust them for the added weight of the 426 motor though.