PDA

View Full Version : brake pads???

400eXr1d3rZ
04-12-2006, 10:08 AM
i wore my brake pads out and im in need of some, my cousin works at a honda shop so i can get stock/aftermarket parts for pretty cheap. what brake pads will last me A LONG time?

thanks

04-12-2006, 10:59 AM
are ya talking just the rear pads or all around? if it is just the rear pads and you still have tham idiotic parking brake on, lose it. it wears the rear pads 2 -3 times as fast as without it.

anyway, the mud and guck we all put the machiner through will wear pads real quick...i think i have had all kinds on my bikes and one really don't last any longer than the next

insaneracin2003
04-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
are ya talking just the rear pads or all around? if it is just the rear pads and you still have tham idiotic parking brake on, lose it. it wears the rear pads 2 -3 times as fast as without it.

anyway, the mud and guck we all put the machiner through will wear pads real quick...i think i have had all kinds on my bikes and one really don't last any longer than the next
exactly what he said ^^^

04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
i just bought some EBC longlife pads, for the front end, they were damn near 100 bucks (can) what a joke.

miller821
04-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Ya some EBC on the rear is what I run.... Haven't changed front yet though so dunno about those.

ZSK
04-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Use OEM pads. Best ones I've found yet. If you haven't pulled the parking brake off yet, make sure to add that to the list because of prementioned reasons. The front calipers use the same pads as the rears. When changing the front, make sure to do both left and right side at the same time. Always use brake cleaner on the pads and the rotor before installation and make sure to grease the slide pins in the caliper.

400eXr1d3rZ
04-12-2006, 04:15 PM
the guy i bought my bike from disconnected the wire that ingages the parking brake, i need rear brake pads bad, when i hit the break all i hear is this grinding noise, very very annoying

Unverfehrt400ex
04-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeh ive went through several different pairs. I was going through all the aftermarket ones in 3-4 months. i Got me some OEM ones and have had them for over a year now. I think the OEM pads are the best way to go.

ZSK
04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
the guy i bought my bike from disconnected the wire that ingages the parking brake, i need rear brake pads bad, when i hit the break all i hear is this grinding noise, very very annoying

Even if the cable is disconnected, the spring is still applying pressure to the pads. A block off plate is cheap (usually under $15) buy one, eliminate the entire parking brake assembly, install a set of OEM pads, and grease the slide pins, you'll be golden.;)

94F450SD
04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
my stock brakes lasted me a few months.i decided an aftermarket performance pad would be better.3 rides later i had no rear brakes.they were metal to metal,grinding and locking up.i used the same pads on my 400 and the rear of my buddies raptor.we both got 3 rides out of them.i forgot what kind they were.i think i have the packageing at the shop.i just bought a set of semi metallic EBC pads.for both bikes.we have to stand on the brake pedals with all our wieght to get them to slow down now.the yamaha dealler said that the stock raptor pads are the best they have seen so far but at 40.00 a set i dont know if i wanna take a chance.bad enough i spent 60 bux on 2 sets that lasted 3 rides and another 50 on 2 sets that dont even slow the things down.

NCexRider
04-12-2006, 09:37 PM
You want the EBC sintered metal pads, preferably the Severe Duty edition. OEM pads are good, but the Severe Duty EBC are the best.