PDA

View Full Version : advantages of runnig low tire pressure?

cbrooks118
04-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Whats the main advantage of runnign your paddles with low air pressure? Whats the advantage of having normal air pressure?

I always see guys at the dunes with low pressure, and i wondered what it was for....

04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
im not sure but i think you might get better traction and sinse the tires would be low on air the tires would help soke up the landings a little better

04TRX400EX
04-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Low air pressure at the dunes (3.5-4lbs.) is necessary to get the desired traction in the sand. The wider the contact patch, the better the quad will grip and hook up. Lower air pressure allows the tire to be wider basically, and softer, so it almost sinks into the sand, giving the quad a better "connection" with the ground. You usually run normal air pressure in the fronts, but quite a bit lower on the rear. You would only want to do this on the sand, or maybe snow too, but not on trails cause, unless you have beadlocks, you risk the tire coming off of the rim.

Dr89
04-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Low air pressure at the dunes (3.5-4lbs.) is necessary to get the desired traction in the sand. The wider the contact patch, the better the quad will grip and hook up. Lower air pressure allows the tire to be wider basically, and softer, so it almost sinks into the sand, giving the quad a better "connection" with the ground. You usually run normal air pressure in the fronts, but quite a bit lower on the rear. You would only want to do this on the sand, or maybe snow too, but not on trails cause, unless you have beadlocks, you risk the tire coming off of the rim.

yea what he said. except for the part about the tire popping off the rim when trail riding...it is extremely unlikely, especially if you've got the honda OEM rims. with no air in them and even a machine to break the beads, it took like 15 tries to break those stockers down! personally i ride trails with lower pressure, really increases traction, im in mud and water alot to so...

94F450SD
04-12-2006, 08:55 PM
i run 4 PSI in all 4 tires for woods riding.i have ITP wheels also.i hit a tree hard enough to seriously bend the rim and left enough tree in the bead that it took me 1/2 hour to get it all out to bend the rim back.it took the ATV store 20 minuted to break the beads on one of my tires to patch a hole and put a tube in it.

jsmith2232
04-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I usually run on the light side for dunes I run around 2-2.5psi, woods and gravelpits 3-4 psi and for wheelies I run as low as 1.5psi, it gives you enhansed turning ability when you are on 2 wheels by leaning side to side and I have never broken a bead running this low.

duke416ex
04-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I broke a bead down three races in a row this year before I got beadlocks and I was running around 5 pd of air. Breaking a bead on a tire should take no one 15 minutes, that is the easy part. The only thing that takes any time is getting the tires off the rims and that isn't to hard if you have the right equipment.

Dr89
04-13-2006, 06:08 PM
we were using the bead breaker in the auto tech shop at school and it only fit down to like 11 inch rims, thats why it took a lil longer but it still got the job done

Rico
04-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Pinch flats are a VERY common thing when running low PSI when trail riding. Riding in the dunes I have no idea since I've never done it. but low PSI in the trails is begging for flats.

If you ride slow then it's OK but when the hammers down your going to get pinch flats on a lot of front tires. I run about 7 in the front and 6 in the rear, and that's with tire balls were I don't even have to worry about flats. I don't like the feeling of a tire at low PSI.

jsmith2232
04-14-2006, 06:39 AM
More specifically responding to the original post...I set up my paddles so that there was just enough air in them so when I drag starting in 2nd they don't hook up too well. with lower pressure you'll get better traction.

8my_Cash
04-16-2006, 05:51 PM
its hard to get the OEM tires off the rims from honda because they use an adhesive because they want to bead to stay sealed just incase the quads dont sell as fast as they should