PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Front Brake problems

mthomas
04-12-2006, 06:44 AM
I just replaced the front brake pads on my 2002 Honda 400EX. The new pads are EBC semi-metallics. After I bolted the caliper to the bracket, the outside pad is putting pressure on the disk and the hub will barely turn. So, I disasembled the brake calipers and greased the caliper pins. This fixed the problem on the right side, but the left side is still pretty tight. It will rotate, just not freely. Should I just ride it to get them to wear a little or is there something else wrong? Any help wouldbe appreciated.

matbogbry@yahoo.com

1fst400
04-12-2006, 11:57 AM
new pads tend to rub at first. run the pad on a belt sander and take a smige off. also check to make shrue your rotor isnt bent..

make shrue there is not crap built up on the caliper where the pad sits too.

mthomas
05-10-2006, 06:44 AM
I rebuilt the floating part of the caliper to make sure that the caliper would center on the rotor. I have taken a little material off the pads. No crud on the piston. The rotor is not bent. It appears that the outside pad is the one rubbing, so I added a small washer between the caliper mount and the caliper. This helped until I pumped up the brakes. Now the rotor is rubbing again and I mean I can barely turn it. What gives? Should I remove the stock shim that goes on the back of the piston-side pad?

sideways400
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
the sliding self adjuster part is froze up.mine did the very same thing just order new calibers off ebay.

mthomas
05-14-2006, 04:53 PM
I wish that were the case. I have already pulled the "self-adjust" or floating part of the caliper apart and cleaned, greased and installed new rubber boots. It slides back and forth like it is supposed to. It looks like the outside pad is too tight on the rotor. It is as if the floating part of the caliper won't extend far enough to take pressure off of the rotor.

PismoLocal
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Mine did that too and i couldn't figure out how to get it to stop rubbing i took it for an all day ride any way though and magically it just fixed itself. You might want to try riding it if you run out of other options.

JW450R1
05-14-2006, 07:17 PM
maybe the after market set of pads were incorrectly made.pads surface to thick,or the metal plate that the pads are bonded to is just a shade thicker.maybe take both l/f and r/f sides completely out and start comparing everything to oneanther.maybe try honda pads.also does the pistons look like they are pushed back the same amount of distance.

mthomas
05-15-2006, 05:02 AM
I decided to double check the caliper slide pins. You were right sideways400, it was sticking. As I said before, I took this all apart and greased it, but come to find out the caliper mounting plate that the slide pins mount to was bent. I took the same plate off of a used 250X caliper and now everything slides smoothly. Problem solved. I had taken a pretty big hit on that side of the front end about a year ago during an encounter, at the top of a hill, with a Raptor (He won, my a-arm and front rim were trashed). With the worn pads, the problem had not surfaced. Thanks for all your help.