PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle

yamaki00
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
I've never installed a twist throttle before. What is involved in putting the twist grip in the handle bars. will it fit on any bar? will i need different sized grips to fit around the twist handle?

Aceman
04-12-2006, 04:59 AM
If I remember right you remove the existing grip and thumb throttle and sand down the handlebar where the twist goes. Remove the carb and pull the stock cable out. Now, mount the twist, route the cable where the old one was and attach it too the carb. Make sure you have the cable adjusted properly on the carb so the twist operates the carb through the full range of motion.

bwamos
04-12-2006, 08:42 AM
The twist throttle will "usually" fit right on the pars you have. I used a dry graphite lubricant between the twist and the bar so it wouldn't ever bind up. Also makes it a little easier to twist.

You will need a set of dirtbike grips. The throttle side grip needs a larger I.D. to slip over the twist throttle.

And of course you'll need a throttle cable to work with the twist.. the stock cable wont work.

Also, if you ride woods... take it very very easy at first. Don't want you bending your frame when you hit a dip, sit back, grab on, rip the throttle open, and hit a tree. ;) I'm not a big fan of the twist in the woods, especially if you don't have a steering damper. Everywhere else, though, the twist is great.

rooster_20
04-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I agree bwamos twist throttles can get hairy in the woods, I wouldnt put one on. But thats jmo

big_saxy
04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I think it all comes down to personal preferance. I have a twister on my 300ex and would never use anything else. Having said that, it DOES take some getting used to, especially when turning your bars to the left cuz it pulls the bar out of your right hand making you twist the thottle even more.

04-12-2006, 02:25 PM
i have one all i had to do is take off the old one and slip on the new one and hook up the throttle cable i love mine and never will go back to thumb

but they arnt for everyone

deathman53
04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
they definetly aren't for everybody, I have one on my 200x and I like it, but on my 250r trikes is a NO and I might put one on my crf450r quad and see how I like it. You have to be used to twist to like using one, if you never used one, you will hate it.

yamaki00
04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
thanks for all the help guys. one more thing. will i have any problems mounting the motion pro cr standard twist throttle to a set of pro taper contour taperwall bars?

bwamos
04-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Should fit up just fine.

If you don't have one get a steering damper.. it will help out a lot. Just any stick type will be enough to keep you from bliping the throttle in the rough stuff.

Iliketogofast
04-13-2006, 10:10 AM
You will have to get used to it for a long time... For some reason you get bad arm pump in the throttle arm with one.

If I ride for about 15 minutes on a track my wrist and arm start to hurt.

Just something to consider before you buy one.

terboed
04-13-2006, 03:04 PM
me and allmost everyone i ride with uses a twist throttle. i rode for 15 years on dirtbikes so i couldent have it any other way. one weekend riding with the thumb and it had to go. i would never go back.

04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm going to get a Motion pro for the 450. When I'm out on the track after a couple of laps I cant even move my thumb, so I decided to get a twist. Plus its going to make riding more fun again. But I heard something like the Motion Pros don't twist all the way or something. Is that true?

deathman53
04-15-2006, 10:48 PM
you can get different twist, they sell 4 or 5 types. You want to get the atv one, its something like 1/2 turn and I know some they only recomend for drag bikes and dirtbikes. you don't want the turbo or 1/4 turn, but also sold are the 3/4 turn ones for utilty quads.

Iliketogofast
04-16-2006, 06:10 AM
Eh, I like the 1/4 better. If you ride bikes at all get the 1/4. I think you can change the throttle cam if you don't like it.

P.S. I rode a 3/4 once and they SUCK