PDA

View Full Version : drilling out crancase vent tee

leadfoot_52
04-11-2006, 08:36 PM
I heard from someone that drilling out the tee for your crankase ventilation is supposed to help out the engine or give it more power. Has anyone done this on an 06?

KRMit
04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
The HRC kit comes with a new one. I couldn't tell any difference just looking at it. You may want to consider just ordering the HRC one instead of modifying the one you have now.

compedge
04-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I used a brand new snap-on colbalt bit and it caught the plastic and went throu the side. I used a tee.

QuadRacer041
04-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by compedge
I used a brand new snap-on colbalt bit and it caught the plastic and went throu the side. I used a tee.

lol same thing happened to me, i had someone with a drill press do my second one, lol

BLEEDRED
04-12-2006, 05:44 AM
I did it on my '06 with no problems. I used a drill press and started with a small bit and worked my way up. I have no idea if it helps with crank case pressure...but it was very easy to do. Good luck.

04-12-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah, i drilled thru the side of mine too!!
so, i bought a new one (stock) for $5.
then, proceeded to drill thru the side of that one as well!!!
i was pissed. i just wrapped some electricians tape around it, and put it on. it's just a breather, so i figured it did not need to have a oil tight seal.

chad502ex
04-12-2006, 10:47 AM
i can promise that the crankcase pressure restriction is not in the "T". Yea sure the "T" is included in the HRC kit, but again, the restriction in the emissions system is not in the "T" it's between the center-cases.

As far as it helping power to relieve the crank-case pressure.... think about it another viewpoint.

What happens when you jump up and down on a bed? the springs in the mattress prevents your weight from flooring, right? now use that analogy with a piston being prevented from moving downward from the "spring" pressure of the crankcase.

The more crankcase pressure the more resistance for the piston to turnover (so to speak). the more resisting pressure the more crank speed variation. the more crank speed variation the more power less in the four stroke cycle.

Not really a huge loss for low end, but can be measurable for top end loss (high rpm loss).

chad502ex
04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
one other note worth mentioning:

I believe the 06' 450R crankcase pressure vents thru the flywheel cover and not the centercases.

Can anyone picture an 06 flywheel cover for illustration?

compedge
04-12-2006, 09:01 PM
On the street bikes that I build, when I conect the crank case pressure hose to the egr system on the head. It releaves the pressure faster and the bike revs faster. Its a noticable diffrence. And on the drag bikes I build I use a 12v vacuum pump to pull the pressure out. Ive seen 1hp-7hp gain on the dyno.

cals400ex
04-13-2006, 12:43 AM
is there any way to modify this on the 04-05?

chad502ex
04-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
is there any way to modify this on the 04-05?

sure, send me your engine and i'll tear it down split the cases mod the emissions and re-assemble.:D

cals400ex
04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
that is a little more complex than i was thinking. :D