PDA

View Full Version : Will a stock quad pull 16/36 gearing?

mickey400ex
04-11-2006, 08:32 PM
im trying to get as most as i can out of my ex on top end, i really dont need that much bottom end due to the fact when i go riding, theres always a crowd and we go slow in the hills, now my question is will a 400ex with a k&n filter, removed baffle, and jet kit pull 16/36 gearing to the rev limiter, or about how fast could she move on the top

04TRX400EX
04-11-2006, 11:57 PM
That's just a wierd gearing combo. You have the right idea with the 16 tooth front - that will give you more top-end but at the sacrifice of low-end torque, and will be fine with a stock quad. The 36 tooth rear is strange though cause a smaller rear is like a smaller front. It takes away top-end and gives you more low-end. With a 16/36 setup, you're basically cancelling out the desired changes. 1 tooth up front equals 3 teeth in the back, so you're pretty close. If you want top-end, go with the 16 front, but keep the stock 38 rear.

Def-e-nition
04-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
The 36 tooth rear is strange though cause a smaller rear is like a smaller front. It takes away top-end and gives you more low-end. With a 16/36 setup, you're basically cancelling out the desired changes.
Ahh , Houston , thats a negative .

Gearing works the same as on a bicycle - if you go big front , small back , you are going for maximum speed . Same as a 12-speed bicycle .

16 front is hectic , but he's right , you'll notice a big change regards to speed .1 tooth bigger front is like 2.3 teeth at the rear smaler - hence - the change is far more noticeable if you play around with sprockets front instead of rear .Going 36 rear as Well though - man - I just dont know . I do know , but i dont want to say it . It's going to make the bike labour in top. simple wind resistance will prevent the bike from pulling hard to top speed in fifth , though it's doubtful it will even get close .

I took a SINGLE tooth off the rear sprocket - 39 down to 38 - And already i noticed that a standard ex does not have the guts to pul hard enough for you to smoke somebody . I went one tooth smaller rear , instead of front , because i was worried the very same problem would hapen , but to an even greater scale , if I toyed with the front sprocket(making it bigger fro standard)

With mods , a bike can be geared to run quickly : I do the same kind of riding you do : This :
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/stuart101/DSCF0219.jpg

Then gearing is important , as you start running 6 or 7 mile stretches with the motor wnating to climb out of the frame.

When you do this :
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/stuart101/PicturesoffRicoh002.jpg
Then you need standard gearing , or a more standard gearing , than what you are suggesting .

My advice would be to try the front sprocket (16)on the standard rear sprocket first : you might find the change radical , but I should imagine you plan to do other engine mods , then you can leave it in and build the bike up to pull more strongly .Doing both is going to be a bit hectic.

however , i may be wrong . Remember , it's only advice , not Gospel , And apart from the wankers who deliver sarcastic remarks sometimes , i have found this site , and the guys , to be Very helpful . Test what i have written , and let us know .

We can all benefit from this .

mickey400ex
04-12-2006, 01:51 AM
thanks, i will try just the 16t first, and im probably gonna order a 416 kit with a stage 2 hot cam this weekend

Def-e-nition
04-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Good . i wish it was as Easy this side as it is for you guys , to simply order a hop up kit and off you go .

Finding a guy to Dyno a quad properly is quite a task . And the kits are not cheap .

This is why , in My country , Quadding is really not for someone with a small budget . Reason Why I don't do track work : falling on this thing would cost too much to repair ...

Yes , the 416 plus hot cam will give your Quad such a serious kick up the *** you wont believe it's the same Quad ..;)

MR.BIG
04-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Dude those are some awesome fast speed trails. Can you outrun a cheetah though! lol just kidding

Def-e-nition
04-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Your chances against a Cheetah are pretty slim .Even on A Banshee .

Its the snakes you need to worry about while going under/through the trees . .

Rootar
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Im running 16/36 on my 416 with 18inch kenda mxrs and its slightly taller than stock and with the lighter tires it does good

but I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU DONT RUN 16/36 in your situation becasue itll be really hard on your clutch and youll lose alot of power and it wont pull 5th worht a flip

04TRX400EX
04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
Ahh , Houston , thats a negative .

Gearing works the same as on a bicycle - if you go big front , small back , you are going for maximum speed . Same as a 12-speed bicycle .

Oops. Thought it was the other way around. I must have been told or heard wrong. I guess we all learned something :)

enduro400rider
04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
Im running 16/36 on my 416 with 18inch kenda mxrs and its slightly taller than stock and with the lighter tires it does good

but I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU DONT RUN 16/36 in your situation becasue itll be really hard on your clutch and youll lose alot of power and it wont pull 5th worht a flip

i ran that gearing on my 440 when i still had it. i did alot of road riding so speed was important to me. the 440 could pull it through 5th to the limiter but i had alot more mods than you, i was running a full exhaust, ported head, edlebrock carb and alot more. the speed was great i would guess it to be in the mid to high 70s i put 22s on the back, it could still pull it but it took a while with the 22s i would guess i was in the low 80s or top of the 70s, it was fast. with a 16/36 with 20s on the back i was fine in the woods it would run up any hill i tried never bogged down, since you dont have any mods you might have a little bit of trouble, also what rootar said about the clutches i went through them like crazy, i finnally put some hd springs in it and they lasted longer but i was still puttin new ones in almost every month but it could have been the fact that i tried to wheelie all the time, even with the 16/36 combo i could wheelie all the way through 4th it always set down in 5th. i would probably wait for some mods before you do that gearing, if your gettin a 416 and cam you deffinatly need a pipe, with the stock pipe you wont feel much gain. mods work together and if you dont have the most basic mod your more advanced mods wont perform well.

Def-e-nition
04-13-2006, 03:08 AM
hmm. now iv'e learnt something too . the clutch wearing down quicker .

What kind of mileage are we looking at on a normal Clutch ? or is it nothing to write home about ?

i wonder if all quads are as maintenance sensitive , or rather , wear sensitive as ours ?

I didn;t think about the strain created by the gearing.
Interesting .

rooster_20
04-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Your clutch is going down because you are probably killing it with that big of a front sprocket. Whats the big deal about going 80mph if it takes you 2 days to get there?

enduro400rider
04-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by rooster_20
Your clutch is going down because you are probably killing it with that big of a front sprocket. Whats the big deal about going 80mph if it takes you 2 days to get there?

if you have the right mods it doesnt take long at all. my 440 with the 20s on the back would get up to the top of 5th fast. i could race a piped and jeted 416 with a cam, stock gearing, he would get a bike length or two on me until i hit third from then on i was gone. the reason for goin 80, when trails are about 2 miles or more away down the road you need some speed thats why i geared it like that. i could run 55 mph all day at a decent low rpm, so i wasnt constantly runnin the balls off it. with all the work i did to my bike the gearing was fine for me, i had enough power for anything in the woods.

enduro400rider
04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
hmm. now iv'e learnt something too . the clutch wearing down quicker .

What kind of mileage are we looking at on a normal Clutch ? or is it nothing to write home about ?

i wonder if all quads are as maintenance sensitive , or rather , wear sensitive as ours ?

I didn;t think about the strain created by the gearing.
Interesting .

clutch ware can depend on alot of things, what kind of quad, how you ride, your gearing as we mentioned, your power out put, and how often you change your oil.

on the 400ex like i was talking about the clutch is a wet clutch design meaning it sits in the oil. if you dont change your oil it will ware out faster because it isnt be lubed properly. the more power you make the more stress is put on the clutch making it ware faster, at the drag races there are guys with street bikes putting out over 200 horses, they make one run and put a new clutch in, their clutches last them a 1/4 of a mile. gearing, when you gear it high it puts more stress on the clutch causeing ware because it has to turn a biger sproket. how you ride, if your constantly slipping the clutch or not using your clutch to shift and pulling power wheelies and just plan abusing it, you will ware it down quicker.

Def-e-nition
04-13-2006, 07:00 AM
....nice of the honda academy guys to fail to metnion that when they teaching you how to "pull the nose up from standstill " to do a Balance-point wheelie ...

:(

I thought it would not be god for the bike , but I mean , they WORK for honda for crying out loud ..