PDA

View Full Version : jumping the outlaw

the glassman
04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
how about big jumps mx style. i have a 250r that im handing down to the son and like the irs idea but can the quad make a 60 footer and can it take a big landing
i bet with the irs it would be alot safer on the unlevel lips and landings.

cdrookie
04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
bike is pretty heavy to be doing that. wouldn't take long before you'd be reinforcing the frame, probably that evening...

Outlaw 50
05-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Jumping is all about shock springs and having them matched to the weight of the rider and what you are doing with the quad. If you want to jump the Outlaw you need to get in touch with someone that does shock work ie: tripple rate springs,valving, dampening. If the shocks and springs are set up properly you will not bottom out the suspension and the frame will not suffer.

quadwunner
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
im not sure how well an outlaw would do on an mx track. with something that heavy it doesnt sound like a big-air quad. I think that it is more for trail riding than track riding. There are many magazine reviews on it though you might want to check those out and see what the "experts " say

MentalState
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
no problem..Granted not the biggest jumps but did hammer down all day with no flaws...And I wasnt half as beat as my buddy on the YZF with Elkas.....

MentalState
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
1more

MentalState
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Landing double

MentalState
05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
weeeeeeeeee

MentalState
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
These are the bikes of the future..While they might not be perfect they will...You heard it from me first.LOL Really is a great ATV...

duFontaine
05-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Nice pics.

What kind of front shocks are those?

Thanks

duFontaine

MentalState
05-06-2006, 03:09 PM
shocks are off a Pread LTD 05 model

cdrookie
05-07-2006, 03:10 PM
take a look at the rear shock mounts, is the paint chipping off? mine chipped after 2 break in laps around a backyard track. i don't even like to jump. the frame is painted not powdercoated, but still not a good sign for paint to be flaking off so soon. definately an area that will need to be reinforced if you're hitting the mx track often. and take off the rear wheels and make sure the rim hasen't "bulged". the extreme offset puts alot of pressure on the inside of those rims.

MentalState
05-07-2006, 04:53 PM
pAINT WAS CHIPPED THERE FROM FIRST RIDE...i DONT THINK IT HAS ANY THING TO DO WITH A WEAK FRAME...iT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING AT mANUFATURE PLANT WHEN THEY TIGHTEN BOLTS FOR SHOCKS..i ALREADY SANDED AND TOUCHED UP...( DAM CAPS LOCK) ANYWAY BIKE IS HOLDING UP FINE SO FAR AND RIMS LOOK OK bUT WILL BE REPLACES WITH hIPERS VERY SOON...

wolffie
05-07-2006, 05:01 PM
nice pics Mental state. have you adjusted your TLD shocks at all? if so, what did you do. i am about 6ft 205lbs, and seem to be bottoming a bit when i hit my 30ft double (you get around 13ft height of air) thanks!

calds650
05-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
take a look at the rear shock mounts, is the paint chipping off? mine chipped after 2 break in laps around a backyard track. i don't even like to jump. the frame is painted not powdercoated, but still not a good sign for paint to be flaking off so soon. definately an area that will need to be reinforced if you're hitting the mx track often. and take off the rear wheels and make sure the rim hasen't "bulged". the extreme offset puts alot of pressure on the inside of those rims.

The same thing happened to me on the paint. I just clean up the bad paint job repainted it and have had no more problems since January.

MentalState
05-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Wolfe, I am lighter than you are...I have played with adjustments quite a bit...But I am set at about 5 clicks all the way around with about 2 3/4 thread distance showing on the threads from top to collar locker...

Hope this helps...

Eric_Winkworth
05-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by MentalState
These are the bikes of the future..While they might not be perfect they will...You heard it from me first.LOL Really is a great ATV...

The bikes of the future ahahahaha

If everyone didn't have honda to copy we would all still be riding three wheelers.

I love hearing things like this, a snowmobile company that doesn't even make good sleds, comes out with a quad thats fast and has there first gearbox EVER in a quad. Acompanied with some crazy linkarms that combat bumpsteer. It's got a heavy *** and is far from being a race quad, don't see many at the track. The real quads make that thing look silly.

I guess we will just have to see what the test of time tells us won't we.

Good trail bike.

I like the looks. Frankly polaris scare me, only time i have ever ran into mechnical problems on the trail is riding with polaris. Seized and broken U joints, broken/ slipping belt. Bent frames, electrical problem. Thats only the quads some of there sleds are worse.

Predator38
05-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Eric_Winkworth

If everyone didn't have honda to copy we would all still be riding three wheelers.

I love hearing things like this, a snowmobile company that doesn't even make good sleds, comes out with a quad thats fast and has there first gearbox EVER in a quad. Acompanied with some crazy linkarms that combat bumpsteer. It's got a heavy *** and is far from being a race quad, don't see many at the track. The real quads make that thing look silly.

Good trail bike.

I like the looks. Frankly polaris scare me, only time i have ever ran into mechnical problems on the trail is riding with polaris. Seized and broken U joints, broken/ slipping belt. Bent frames, electrical problem. Thats only the quads some of there sleds are worse.

Looks like ya dont make it to many GNCC races huh.......:rolleyes:

polaris bob
05-14-2006, 02:37 PM

If everyone didn't have Honda to copy we would all still be riding three wheelers.

I love hearing things like this, a snowmobile company that doesn't even make good sleds, comes out with a quad thats fast and has there first gearbox EVER in a quad. Accompanied with some crazy link arms that combat bump steer. It's got a heavy *** and is far from being a race quad, don't see many at the track. The real quads make that thing look silly.

Good trail bike.

I like the looks. Frankly polaris scare me, only time i have ever ran into mechanical problems on the trail is riding with polaris. Seized and broken U joints, broken/ slipping belt. Bent frames, electrical problem. Thats only the quads some of there sleds are worse.

Well, what a fountain of information you are, aren't you?

Does Honda even make a snowmobile???? I thought not! LOL

You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Fact... The Predator is NOT the first foot shifted quad that Polaris has made.

Fact... Polaris was the first company to widely use a belt drive clutch in their utility quads. As much as the rest of the industry bemoaned the idea and said what crap it was, 9 out of 10 utility quads that use an automatic trans, use a belt drive system today.

Fact... Polaris has held to top spot in sleds sales for more years than I can remember. What about your beloved Honda???? Oh wait, thats right, they don't make sleds... Do they??

Do you want to know what really scares me......... It's people like you that think that the only quad worthy of anyone riding them is their current favorite brand.

If you don't like the Polaris, thats fine. Why don't you stay in your own little world of Honda lovers and stay out of the other forums that want to talk about other quads.

Or better yet, bring your scrawny butt to Michigan and I will show you what a couple of Polaris quads or sleds are capable of.

Eric_Winkworth
05-14-2006, 03:15 PM
The best part about the sleds, is in 1984 polaris bought out the Kawasaki line up of sleds, and the new indy's came out. The motor looks Identical to an invader, those are some of polairs best sleds. Kawasaki's innovative state of the art chassis and engine designs, and that they had there funding cut because of a downfall in sales due to warmer whether. If it wasn't for that there a good chance polaris wouldn't even be around.

No honda hasn't made much in the way of sleds. They made a stupied little sno fox, they were a little late in the game, in the early 80's many good sled companies hung up there tools.

Think about all the things honda has made over the years. Motorcycles (for the last 50 years, when did polaris start) Three wheelers (don't see many polaris ones) Dirtbikes (motocross, dual sport, offroad, wait a minute polaris doesn't make dirtbikes) Cars and trucks (no one would buy a polaris car or truck) Ohh and PWC's (honda makes some awesome ones, and polaris had there funding cut due to lack of sales)

Oh then theres honda motors in power washers, generators, lawn equempent, snow removal equpment. Polaris doesn't make these things because no one would buy them if they had a chance to buy a honda.

Polaris used the belt drive system in there scrambler sport models too. As for auto's it is the same thing as cars, people are just far to lazy these day, why have something else to worry about just punch it.

If polaris had a 1980 two stoke ledgend, if they had world renowed NSR250, if they had the Honda Cub which has sold more units then any bike EVER. The there other legendary bikes like the CB750. Did polaris make bikes in the 80's? Nope!

you guys can believe whatever you want and I will stay in my own little world, alot less plastic **** to look at there.

BTW, look at ATV magazines, if you can read, my opinion is that a polaris owner has made an uninformned spur of the moment choice to buy one. Too bad they didn't do there research.

calds650
05-14-2006, 03:29 PM

I think you mean Suzuki they made the first quad in 1983.

scramblerracer
05-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I AM DUMBER NOW THAT I WASTED MY TIME READING THE BABLINGS OF AN IDIOT. I like honda stuff but I race a Polaris. I made a very informed decision when I bought my Predator. I wanted very good stock suspension as I race in stock classes. I wanted reverse as I play ride in tight forests. I wanted a large engine that would be competitive with the current 450's from Honda and Yamaha. The only choices in 2005 were the Predator, Z400 and the raptor. Everyone knows that the raptor was not a great machine to race in stock form. I rode the z400 and was dissapointed with the power. Therefore the Predator won. If you hate Polaris don't buy one. If you just like to argue go to a different site. When Honda or Yamaha comes out with a race ready quad with reverse I will buy one until then the Preddy will remain.

TLDaddy
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Polaris bob makes a good point: quit jaw-jacking and bring your S**t to the track or trail! I've smoked guys with the hottest new "popular" YFZ's and TRX's with my pred in stock form. Polaris is gaining favor with many new riders because they provide a high quality reliable product for a minimal price. Polaris does make some of the baddest cruisers available now. If you haven't heard of Victory motorcycles, Dude you are lost.

And be careful, Honda motor company is a stubborn mule. They don't make changes very quickly. I follow the AMA racing series. and last year Honda got it's *** handed to it by Suzuki. Quad magazine did a recent article about all 3 new 450's and the TRX came in LAST to the new Suzuki and YFZ.

I've ridden Honda's before, they are great machines. But do you see any Honda's with independent rear suspension... or even talk of it? The fact is, Polaris thought of it first, and someone here thinks that a company that reacts first, without a popularity vote, may just make the quads of the future.

polaris bob
05-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Eric, your post is so full of holes and mis-conceptions that I won't even bother to try to correct all of them.

Suffice it to say that you need to do a little more home work on what you decide to post about.

Just a little food for thought. Did you know that Polaris used to make a three wheeler??

And where is it written that a company has to make power washers, generators, lawn equipment, snow removal equipment ect ect to make a quad?

My first sled was a 83 Indy 600, the fastest out of the box sled going that year and for many years after. Were you even born at that time???? LOL

Yea, you know so much!! LOL

jb500ex
05-15-2006, 12:12 PM
wait until you guy's find out some polaris news this weekend:devil:

GE4x4
05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
wait until you guy's find out some polaris news this weekend:devil:

What, Billy Good riding one.:eek:

Eric_Winkworth
05-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Wasn't honda the first company to come out with an aluminum dirkbike frame.

Like someone said before honda didn't ever make snowmobiles which they actually did, just no one bought them, must have been the same deal at the polarass three wheeler.

I currently own two vintage Kawasaki race sleds, and I must say after looking at indy's beside them it is rediculous how much technology polaris gained when they bought that line up.

my 440 will do 100mph. 85HP baby, before 1984 polaris didn't have a chance in hell at catching a kawasaki. And then they became kawasaki

I'm really not overly biased, I just don't like plastic racks, plastic motor covers, excess weight for no reason. Cheap parts that are built to break.

my real pet peeve is car/truck these days everything is built like a pile of ****, even imports arn't what they used to be.

I agree honda has its issues, last years gold wings were right hurtin.

Nothing is made like its used to be.

cheers

jb500ex
05-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
What, Billy Good riding one.:eek:
nope

GE4x4
05-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
nope

Well yeh got to give us more then that.:confused:

jb500ex
05-15-2006, 05:54 PM
look at race coverage for the john penton on saturday

GE4x4
05-15-2006, 06:04 PM
AM or PM so I can arrange my sat.

jb500ex
05-15-2006, 08:55 PM
i would say you should know by friday night

Fred55
05-15-2006, 09:33 PM

THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PREDATORS...YOU ARE INCREDIBLY IGNORANT!!!

btw....when Honda put those aluminum frames on their dirtbikes...they handled like crap and it took Honda about 5 years to get them to handle good again.

kymco
05-16-2006, 08:34 AM
What, Billy Good riding one.:eek: Billy Good will be on a tricked out predator next race.

bradley300
05-16-2006, 09:12 AM
excess weight for no reason.

put a aftermarket axle, wheels, steel swingarm, aftermarket shocks, and maxxis radial tires on a honda or yam. 450 and see how much they weigh. not to mention, find a way to ge rid of all the bumpsteer on another 450. all stuff that the pred TLD comes with STOCK. thats part of the "weight issue" that really isnt there when you look at the parts on the pred vs. the other flimsy light weight crap on the other quads.

jb500ex
05-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by kymco
Billy Good will be on a tricked out predator next race.
thats not the big surprise

Z-Rider86
05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Never rode an Outlaw but i've read that landing is a bit easier with the irs vs. the single axel. Everyone says it makes up for a uneven landing. I'd give it a try. 60 footers with stock suspension may not be the best idea though.

calds650
05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
better shocks will help on big jumps

GE4x4
05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by kymco
Billy Good will be on a tricked out predator next race.

What class does he plan on racing?

kymco
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
What class does he plan on racing? pro am

TLDaddy
05-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Like I said earlier, buy an issue of Quad Magazine, read the article about all the 450's goin head to head.

You'll be disappointed to know who comes in last!

Honda aint the sh** bro!

LOUDONE
05-16-2006, 07:29 PM
POLARIS is CRAP! They don't belong and will NEVER belong.

preddymoto
05-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by LOUDONE

Your crap!!! and you don't belong here! hence the polaris predator forum moron.

05-18-2006, 03:36 PM

Like someone said before honda didn't ever make snowmobiles which they actually did, just no one bought them, must have been the same deal at the polarass three wheeler.

I currently own two vintage Kawasaki race sleds, and I must say after looking at indy's beside them it is rediculous how much technology polaris gained when they bought that line up.

my 440 will do 100mph. 85HP baby, before 1984 polaris didn't have a chance in hell at catching a kawasaki. And then they became kawasaki

I'm really not overly biased, I just don't like plastic racks, plastic motor covers, excess weight for no reason. Cheap parts that are built to break.

my real pet peeve is car/truck these days everything is built like a pile of ****, even imports arn't what they used to be.

I agree honda has its issues, last years gold wings were right hurtin.

Nothing is made like its used to be.

cheers :rolleyes: did u realize that kawasaki has the words suzuki on it.z400/kfx400,praire 700/twin peaks700.i agree nothings like it used to but atleast polaris is still original with the irs.sooooo yeeeah.

TLDaddy
05-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by LOUDONE

2006 Sport ATV of the year -(outlaw) ATV Rider Magazine
2005 Sport Quad of the year-(predator) ATV Sport Magazine

It appears they belong with some of the most popular magazines.

Honda won any awards lately.... hmmmm? nope!

yamadjs08
05-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
put a aftermarket axle, wheels, steel swingarm, aftermarket shocks, and maxxis radial tires on a honda or yam. 450 and see how much they weigh. not to mention, find a way to ge rid of all the bumpsteer on another 450. all stuff that the pred TLD comes with STOCK. thats part of the "weight issue" that really isnt there when you look at the parts on the pred vs. the other flimsy light weight crap on the other quads. Sorry to go completely off topic, but Cannondale Blazes and Motos had more aftermarket than that from the factory and still weighed in at like 375 or something like that. Predators are heavy and thats just the way it is, they are a little wider than most quads and have a little bit more aftermarket than most quads and of course that will add weight, but Im sure that there is something Polaris could do to cut some more weight, those 2 reasons alone arent why the Predator is so heavy.

Also, I have mixed opinions about the Outlaw, most talk bad about it, it even lost in that shootout against the 700r and the Outlaw. But at my last race I believe an Outlaw got first in my class. It was muddy, and ruts were deep, and he had the ground clearance, simple as that. I believe if dialed in correctly Im sure they could be a pretty bad *** quad, but its the Predator motor that I dont like about it, not the IRS. The IRS is a very unique design and Im sure will improve greatly throughout the years, but Ill stick with what we know works, a solid axle/swingarm.:p

smokinwrench
05-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I will happily race anyone in harescramble track on the equivilent other brand of quad they want. I'll prove the predator is a fast good handling quad.

I hope Polaris puts out a Predator next year that has a fuel injected KTM powerplant, I will have one asap. The Fiji motor is where most of the excess wieght comes from.

lvlenace
06-03-2006, 10:30 AM
I'll race anyone on a stock Honda 450R on some tight crappy trails with my stock Outlaw and will laugh at their attempt to keep up with me

ramsfan
06-11-2006, 12:15 PM
guys I think he was just trying to get you all pissed and ranting off of subject. I think that Polaris is one of the best I cant say (the best) that still is in the works. Polaris is one of the most daring companys out there the put a outlaw in the race scene without alot of trak time just to see how it does, Most others test it out for a year or two before they take the chance. also they let a racer run as near to stock as they could possibly go just to show the capabilitys of there machines with little extra investment.That shows Balls and the might not have a big aftermarket (yet) but it is on the horizan. I am waiting to see what the next move is for Polaris.I never jump on the first model I see of anything just because I want tosee its flaws first so either I or someone else can figure a way around it and make it better. I have seen alot of outlaw sales and very few of any other model in all of the local dealers just due to the terrain and have already been seeing the compatition getting wipped.I had a predator and loved it I just need something I could take my kids on so I got a Ranger.

jdwxv3
06-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Come to Mo and race. www.mhscracing.com the scedule is there. Not may polaris's race our series. I would like to see an outlaw hold up to some abuse before I buy one. I know some GNCC guys and gals are racing them but they have great mechanics. I want to see how it holds together with the avg joe taking care of it. I am not against owning one at all. Later, Josh

MAaudioX10
06-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by yamadjs08
Sorry to go completely off topic, but Cannondale Blazes and Motos had more aftermarket than that from the factory and still weighed in at like 375 or something like that. Predators are heavy and thats just the way it is, they are a little wider than most quads and have a little bit more aftermarket than most quads and of course that will add weight, but Im sure that there is something Polaris could do to cut some more weight, those 2 reasons alone arent why the Predator is so heavy.

Also, I have mixed opinions about the Outlaw, most talk bad about it, it even lost in that shootout against the 700r and the Outlaw. But at my last race I believe an Outlaw got first in my class. It was muddy, and ruts were deep, and he had the ground clearance, simple as that. I believe if dialed in correctly Im sure they could be a pretty bad *** quad, but its the Predator motor that I dont like about it, not the IRS. The IRS is a very unique design and Im sure will improve greatly throughout the years, but Ill stick with what we know works, a solid axle/swingarm.:p

The weight is in the motor. The motor weighs a good 100 lbs wet. Then, add on your axles, tires, wheels...etc..etc...thus the heavy weight...

Not too sure what the big fuss is about....loved my Pred since the beginning...never complained about the weight. I'll trade weight for stability anyday...

Hell, I love my Pred so much....I got $15,000 in it.

Dale512
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
The KTM 525 with the kickstart like Rath had in his Predator saved 32lbs. Lighter motor, no battery, & no external oil tank. So figure if Polaris take the KTM 525 with E-start, adds Reverse & beefs it up alittle. They could probably save 20-25lbs just like that.

scramblerracer
06-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I race a Predator. I am sick and tired of replacing every little piece in the front steering assy. I have raced my preddy for 1 1/2 years and have finnally replaced all steering components at least twice, with the exception of the tie rods, hubs and the spindles. I have never had a tie rod problem. I have replaced front hubs(1 bearing wouldn't stay in hub-other bearing froze up), front spindles(broke steering arm off 1- other bearings grooved when went bad),tie rod ends- I replace after 3 races usually because of slop, ball joints got 15 races out of stock- 3 races out of replacements(polaris), centerlinks- I replace when needed 5-9 races bent or real sloppy, PRO assy with 2 arms that centerlinks and tie rods bolt to. Replaced after 2 races under warranty, now replaced not under warranty 18 races later-worn out sloppy. Steering stems- right now I'm on #3. Bent #1 and Bent #2. I have talked to multiple Polaris reps and they all seem so surprised that I have had so many problems. Then at the Mo GNCC I talked to a few faster racers on Predators. They have had similar problems- and if they were not riding free machines they would switch. That being said- I Love my predator. If Polaris fixes the little steering problems- I will buy again.

outlawrider7050
07-09-2006, 07:32 PM
i have never had a problem jumping my outlaw but i dont know about u guys who have rode them

lvlenace
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by scramblerracer
I race a Predator. I am sick and tired of replacing every little piece in the front steering assy. I have raced my preddy for 1 1/2 years and have finnally replaced all steering components at least twice, with the exception of the tie rods, hubs and the spindles. I have never had a tie rod problem. I have replaced front hubs(1 bearing wouldn't stay in hub-other bearing froze up), front spindles(broke steering arm off 1- other bearings grooved when went bad),tie rod ends- I replace after 3 races usually because of slop, ball joints got 15 races out of stock- 3 races out of replacements(polaris), centerlinks- I replace when needed 5-9 races bent or real sloppy, PRO assy with 2 arms that centerlinks and tie rods bolt to. Replaced after 2 races under warranty, now replaced not under warranty 18 races later-worn out sloppy. Steering stems- right now I'm on #3. Bent #1 and Bent #2. I have talked to multiple Polaris reps and they all seem so surprised that I have had so many problems. Then at the Mo GNCC I talked to a few faster racers on Predators. They have had similar problems- and if they were not riding free machines they would switch. That being said- I Love my predator. If Polaris fixes the little steering problems- I will buy again.

steering on the outlaw sucks too, and parts are hard to get. bent my steering 3 times already