PDA

View Full Version : yukon gears or cryo ???

lee37vernon
04-11-2006, 05:00 PM
over here in the U.K there is only 1 place doing cryogenic tempering , to do my whole engine , like EVERYTHING !! they want what equates to about $ 350 by the time i figure in tax and two way shipping .. now i see i can get the yukon gears on e bay for that similar money ..

so should i cryo the whole engine or just buy the gears ..?? cant aford to do both . plan on 330 + at some point in future ..

beerock
04-11-2006, 05:36 PM
thats a tough one because the yukon gears are only for countershaft i believe so all your other gears and shaftes will be oem and not strengthened

i would opt to cyro all the gears and the main and counter shafts

even the counter balancer gear

lee37vernon
04-12-2006, 03:18 AM
that was the plan , i have all new bearings and crank and looking at doing that too , even casings and cylinder , basically anything metal . like you say they are only countershaft which does seem daft really when the rest will be oem .
thanks for advice beerock , appreciated , and hope your recoveries on track :)

punker69q
04-12-2006, 04:46 AM
I would go with cryoed stock gears, but make sure that you go with all brand new parts, as cryogenic treatment on used parts can make them loose ductility and be very fragile.

lee37vernon
04-12-2006, 07:18 AM
that makes obvious sense , just the expense of it , just looked at service and its like $60 for 1 cog !!
what about crack testing all the old gears first ? how common a problem is the gearbox letting go ?is it 1 gear or several that are prone ? maybe i can get away with just the bad ones ?

beerock
04-12-2006, 07:21 AM
i would not do the cases and cylinder, just do the all gears and counter an main shafts

lee37vernon
04-12-2006, 10:43 AM
ok , that will save some money anyhow ..:D

hows your stand on cryo'ing used gears bee ?

beerock
04-12-2006, 10:58 AM
i would ask a pro about it, alky (CHEF) did his 425 psi tranny along with baldwin gears not sure if they were all new or not but he has the only 425 that has seen a rebuild of a top end without blowing gears up. So im not really sure about doing used ones, if alky(chef) did then i say go for it.

it does depend on how stressed the gears that are used have been.

i think its probably fine to do used gears but like i said talk to a profesional cyrogenic guy about that

punker69q
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
You can cryo used parts, but they must be in excellent conditions, with no important wear and lots of life left. 20 years old r are maybe not worth the expense to be cryoed, as they will need replacement anyway and you would en up loosing money. Your best bet is still to show them to a reputable shop, they will tell you if it is worth it or not.

lee37vernon
04-12-2006, 12:42 PM
thanks for input guys

Aceman
04-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Maybe they can magnaflux them to check for stress cracks. I don't know how expensive that is so maybe it's not worth it on used gears.

lee37vernon
04-12-2006, 05:22 PM
think its reasonable price , i'll take a real close look at them off the shafts tommorow and see if its worth it ..

zedicus00
04-14-2006, 08:11 AM
get some new stock parts and hav em cryoed. if u want to re use parts hve em magnufluxed then if looks o.k. get ABSOLUTLY everything cryoed down to the nuts and bolts, criclips, pins and bearings.

i use www.onecryo.com theyve always been good to me.

lee37vernon
04-14-2006, 12:34 PM
thanks zedicus :)

zedicus00
04-14-2006, 12:54 PM
one more thing.... when i say do everything i also mean CASES, all the topend, cylender, rings piston. if you hav it taken apart CRYO IT. it will make the topend last so much longer u will wonder why u didnt get it done sooner.

one of these yrs when i start working on my Attitude frame again im gunna have it cryoed too.

also yukon gears are partial set that go on both shafts, they are quite awsome, i sold a set to my engine builder a while back. they replace the most commonly busted gears in the tranny so you would still be using some stockers anyways.

AirDogMS
04-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey all, I justed wanted to post up and clear up what comes in the Yukon gear kit. I'm the guy who is selling these on Ebay.

The Yukon set is a 5 gear set, 2nd thru 6th, machined from Billet 4320 and 9310 Alloy steel, case hardened.

As said these replace the common gears that fail in the stock trany. These are all Countershaft gears. Gear ratio's same as the 87~89 year trany.

Yukon has rated these at 40% stronger than the stock gears.

I don't know much about the results that Cryo'ing gives, but if you decide on the Yukon gears, PM me and I'll offer anyone off this forum a discount off my ebay pricing.

Thanks,
Dave

beerock
04-15-2006, 10:38 AM
good man! i knew they were countershaft only? dont know why someone thought they had some gears on the mainshaft?

i mean after all i seen em with my own eyes?

lee37vernon
04-16-2006, 02:10 PM
SERVICE HONDA JUST WENT DOWN BUT I GOT AS FAR AS LOOKING AT GEAR PRICES .. FOR ALL MAINSHAFT GEARS ITS LIKE 218 DOLLARS . I RECKON WITH THE BEARING COLLARS AND CIRCLIPS THAT'LL BE 250 EASY . THATS WITHOUT THE COUNTERSHAFT LOW GEAR WHICH I PRESUME IS NOT WORTH CHANGING UNLESS PUTTING IN A NEW MAINSHAFT .so with the price ontop for the yukon's that must be coming up $600 and then the 300 dollars (ish) i need for cryo .. thats getting expensive , so what have other done when putting in these gears , spent the money or used the rest of their original gears , i mean how common is it for them to go . i want a strong bottom end but i also dont want to end up having it owe me a small fortune , its only for recreational use after all ..:confused:

punker69q
04-16-2006, 04:55 PM
What cylinder / porting / pipe will you run on that R?

jas250r
04-16-2006, 09:40 PM
when 2nd gear broke on mine i asked the same question and took beerock's advice and bought the yukon set replaced every gear except for 1st on counter shaft and the actual main shaft and counter shaft, and i think it is 3and4 on the main( the gear that has the center shift fork ride in it) Then i sent out all the gears even the yukons and a bunch of other stuff. like 16pounds total. I just bolt the lower end together saturday and i'am still 3 weeks away before starting it. imo do it once and do it right, to expensive to do it half a** and have it break again. cases are expensive!