PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sand Tire

TRX_450
04-11-2006, 03:44 PM
whats you guy's favorite sand tire? i might be headin down to waynoka at the end of the month and need some paddles....not sure what to get and dont have a whole lot to spend so gimme some ideas

spud400ex
04-11-2006, 03:52 PM
gbc sand sharks and sand devils are both good tires and cheap. ive heard itp sand stars are good to, never ridin with them so i cant give much of an opinion on them. i know i wont be running anything but hualers from now on, they are the best that ive ridin on.

Tom TRX250R
04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
HAULERS for sure!!!!

TRX_450
04-11-2006, 05:22 PM
i figured haulers but what brand? i need sumthin cheap and preferably coming with rims

J_bob_28
04-11-2006, 07:58 PM
arent haulers just a straight paddle??? if so i hate them... u cant turn and trails become nearly impossible if your going fast. I think the itp sand stars are easily the best sand tire...but they are a little pricey...another great tire is the sand skate II

twisted threads
04-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by J_bob_28
arent haulers just a straight paddle??? if so i hate them... u cant turn and trails become nearly impossible if your going fast.

Trust me you can still turn just fine with strait paddles....you just got to learn how. What you got to do is learn how to get them to float buy using your throttle and brakes and trail are not impossible with strait paddle Haulers and I can go fast on the trails.

fireburns99
04-12-2006, 09:00 AM
i agree with twisted, they turn fine once you get used to them. Like he said you just have to get on the gas and get them floating. I love my haulers.

spud400ex
04-12-2006, 09:18 AM
like twisted and fireburns said, you just gotta get used to them.

sportraxkid
04-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I use to use sand stars and went to streight paddle's and like them alot more. The best would probley be haulers but kings turbo paddles are pretty good for the price. My streight paddles turn just as good as a v paddle to me they slide alot more cause there more flat and I can whip my back end around better around bends and it hooks up alot better in a line. I got my turbo paddles for $90 with mounting!

PismoLocal
04-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I ride sandstars, ive had haulers they are good to. I think i might buy another set of haulers.

enquadrider16
04-13-2006, 12:05 AM
sandstars by far.

tar
04-13-2006, 06:03 AM
I run sand stars and i like them. They hook up good and it's easy to whip the *** end around if you want to.

kssandduner
04-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Haulers!!

jsmith2232
04-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I run Sand star IIs and They work great

Tom TRX250R
04-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I own both Sand Skate II's and Haulers. After using the Haulers I personally cannot go back to losing traction with the Sand Skate II. It hooks up so much better with the Hauler and handles just fine if you use body english!!!

brif
04-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Haulers. They are more money upfront but, if you decide to sell them later, they still have value. Unlike the molded paddles(not including skates or brats) which you give away.

nuddybuddy
04-14-2006, 11:15 PM
I've had both haulers and sand skate II's and sand sharks. in the wide open the haulers are good when you start getting tight in the trails the v's will walk all over the haulers. you can get a set of front paddles and that helps alot w/ straight paddles, in the trails.

guinness77
04-15-2006, 10:02 PM
I've had Sand Skate II's and ITP Sand Star's. I've driven on straight blade tires too. The straight bladed tires do hook up better than the "V" tires, but in the tight trails the "V's" do manuver a little better. The Sand Skate II's were awful compared to the ITP's.

Rico400
05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Haullers are the best hands down.
weve tried V- style, ITP, Geckos, Off brands. and haullers are the best

i can turn perfectly fine any where, and they hook up the best. i will never buy anything but haullers.

If ur guys to start riding the dunes, dont even mess around with anything else, u will hate urself when u have to buy haullers in acouple months afterwards. ive been there dont that.

now u can get extreme haullers if u want. thats whats on my 450. but haullers will do perfectly fine.

stryker
05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Shooting Hills - Haulers!

Trails and Turning - Sand Stars!

I too have had them all, Haulers, SSII's, Edge's and now Sand Stars! Personally I like to be able to turn in tight trails and Sand Stars just don't push the front end out like haulers do. I do still have my set of Haulers just in case. :devil: My 2 penny's!

z400roosteR
05-04-2006, 09:50 AM
If you want the best dune paddle/tire you buy Extreme Haulers PERIOD.

They are the best for drag racing, trails everything in the snad.

If you can't ride trials with haulers you just straight up suck if your excuse is you need V-paddles...

benwa450r
05-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I agree with stryker. It all depends on what type of riding you're gonna do most. If your gonna hit the trails or bowls, V-paddles is probably your best bet. If your gonna race, straight paddles is the way to go. Scat-trak haulers (or extremes) is the ticket. There are cheaper tires but Haulers are the best. If you're gonna get straight paddles, you have more decisions. How many paddles? For hill shooting you need 6 to 8 paddles. For dunes racing you need 8 or possibly 10's. If you have a longer swingarm or have it lowered or have struts, you need more paddles. Air pressure is also a factor in traction. Decisions, decisions.... pick what is best for you.... but cheaper is not always better.
:)

pharit
05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
i got exteme haulers and sand stars and they both do just great i think though i think i'll switch to just extreme haulers on both quads but from the rides i did with the sand star i liked them

400exrider0004
05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
ITP Sand Stars

smokinwrench
05-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I really wonder how many people that have responded to this thread have ever ran more then 1 style of dune tire?

I have tried several and always go back to haulers. Heck even my wife prefers haulers on her 500 scrambler.

Only reason sand stars are so popular right now is because they are cheap. I would rather run some sand sharks on 8" wheels. Hualers cost more but are worth every cent.

CHAINSAW
05-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I hate my sand stars. Haulers are by far superior to everything else, but my second choice is Geckos.. I like how they handle, and Ive tried many different sets before.

JOEX
05-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by benwa450r
I agree with stryker. It all depends on what type of riding you're gonna do most. If your gonna hit the trails or bowls, V-paddles is probably your best bet. If your gonna race, straight paddles is the way to go. Scat-trak haulers (or extremes) is the ticket. There are cheaper tires but Haulers are the best. If you're gonna get straight paddles, you have more decisions. How many paddles? For hill shooting you need 6 to 8 paddles. For dunes racing you need 8 or possibly 10's. If you have a longer swingarm or have it lowered or have struts, you need more paddles. Air pressure is also a factor in traction. Decisions, decisions.... pick what is best for you.... but cheaper is not always better.
:)
I thought the prefered number of paddles has more to do with horsepower than type of riding/racing:ermm:

250r4life
05-06-2006, 11:10 PM
holy cow... i cant beleive that there are still discussions going on about this... i thought i covered it pretty well a couple months ago with my post about paddles...

so let me say it again...

haulers... they're great paddles... theyre super light, and they grab very well... and yah as far as speed they are the best tire out there... are they harder to turn, yes, but if you ride aggressively and keep your tires spinning you can turn fine, especially on a 2 stroke like a banshee or 250r, when you can brake the tires loose with the powerband at any time... just gotta use a little body english and a little skill...

their downfall is that they are a little mroe pricey, and that they are not as durrable as molded tires... haulers are just old tires with paddles glued on... consequently it is not uncommon after prolonged use to rip paddles off... in addition, if you ride in not pure sand areas, you can have a stick go straight through them pretty easily, and bye bye tire...

so like all things there is good and bad...

molded tires have the good in that they are less expensive, turn better, and are much more durable... i get absolutely fantastic hook up with my sand stars... their downside is that they are heavier, and consequently may be a little slower than haulers...

i personally feel that sandstars are the best molded tire, and that sand sharks are a dang good economical tire... i would go with 1 of the 3- haulers, sandstars, or sandsharks... and i would get the sandstar fronts over anything...

Rico400
05-07-2006, 09:11 AM
lol fronts... i dont think it really matters as much, as long as u dont have knobies ur good to go.

ive only ran Kenda fronts on my 450r so i dont know the difference for my bike though.

250r4life
05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Rico400
lol fronts... i dont think it really matters as much, as long as u dont have knobies ur good to go.

ive only ran Kenda fronts on my 450r so i dont know the difference for my bike though.

oh- somebody laughed at my suggestion, thats offensive, i think i better report that to the mods... its ridiculous... nothing towards you rico, it seems i just get reported to the mods for any little thing... man this country has become sissified in the past few years...

anywho... man, you'd be surprised at how awesome the sandstar fronts are... i was... i didnt ever think they were necessary, but man i am so glad i got them... and everybody that rides my or other bikes with them on them is amazed at how much response they get and how much control they have... that dual ribbed design works great!!!

Rico400
05-07-2006, 10:41 AM
ya i know u were joking...but i just was saying "lol", because i figured we were going to have acouple pages discussion on fronts sand tires now.

and ill have to try them dual ribbed tires some time. so far my kendas are great. and we do some tight trail riding type of stuff at florence.

actually i dont even know what style of riding it shoule be called lol. those razerback trails things, off to the right hand side from driftwood. not many people ride them, but that are a blast if you get a group of experianced riders.

john.E.business
05-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I started a thread but no one is giving me answer so i figured i would try here what is the average life of a pair of itp sandstars on lets say a trx450r?

250r4life
05-12-2006, 12:22 AM
i've gone through two full season of about 10 trips each, and they dont look to have worn at all...

smokinwrench
05-12-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by john.E.business
I started a thread but no one is giving me answer so i figured i would try here what is the average life of a pair of itp sandstars on lets say a trx450r?

Any paddle tire will last for years, as long as you drive nice on the pavement to and from the dunes.

john.E.business
05-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh yea sweet cause i bought some geckos and took them out this weekend seemed to be pretty decent...

terboed
05-23-2006, 09:19 PM
haulers are the BEST dune tire you can run. for stock and piped bikes 20x10x10 8 paddle works great. and for the people that say they dont turn good, your out of your mind. v-paddles are horible turning tires and even worse on hookup. you just have to quit being a ***** and get in the throttle with a set of haulers.

if your makin a little more power then the average joe, ported, bigbore, whatever, your gonna need to step up to 22" haulers. they float 100x better and give you the traction you need. dont go crazy on the # of paddles you run though. thats where most people go wrong. if you cram too many paddles on a tire you reduce your wheelspin. this is not a good thing if your dragging and trying to get the holeshot. now the 22's with extended swingers is where your gonna sacrifice turning. but if you makin big power whats the point if you cant hookup? single buff haulers are very puncture resistant. they are a full sidewall tire and only buffed enough for the knobbs to be knocked off. bead+bead are quite a bit lighter than singles wich is a good thing for racers and still offer some resistance to punctures. superlights are buffed very thing for the lightest drag tire settup. no need to worry about puncturing em cuz if you own a set of these your stupid to take em anywere near the sticks.

next is extreme or regular. extremes will last a little longer but are also a bit stiffer. a 8 paddle extreme will act like a 10 paddle hauler.

thats perdy much it. never run knobbies on the front. get a set of full ribed fronts for total turning control.

250r4life
05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
holy cow... i cant beleive that there are still discussions going on about this... i thought i covered it pretty well a couple months ago with my post about paddles...

so let me say it again...

haulers... they're great paddles... theyre super light, and they grab very well... and yah as far as speed they are the best tire out there... are they harder to turn, yes, but if you ride aggressively and keep your tires spinning you can turn fine, especially on a 2 stroke like a banshee or 250r, when you can brake the tires loose with the powerband at any time... just gotta use a little body english and a little skill...

their downfall is that they are a little mroe pricey, and that they are not as durrable as molded tires... haulers are just old tires with paddles glued on... consequently it is not uncommon after prolonged use to rip paddles off... in addition, if you ride in not pure sand areas, you can have a stick go straight through them pretty easily, and bye bye tire...

so like all things there is good and bad...

molded tires have the good in that they are less expensive, turn better, and are much more durable... i get absolutely fantastic hook up with my sand stars... their downside is that they are heavier, and consequently may be a little slower than haulers...

i personally feel that sandstars are the best molded tire, and that sand sharks are a dang good economical tire... i would go with 1 of the 3- haulers, sandstars, or sandsharks... and i would get the sandstar fronts over anything...

how many times do the facts need to be posted?

nozerider
05-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Soooooo...what brand of haulers?

250r4life
05-28-2006, 07:46 PM
skat track

trx440
07-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to add a few things:

1. If the dunes you ride are not 100% sand get a molded tire or be prepared to buy Skat-Trak's over and over.

I'm not beefin' on Skat-Trak, I've been running them since the 80's but when I used to ride Silver Lake, MI 6 times a summer I would have to buy 2 sets a year because of root / log/ debris damage. My last year there in 2001, I switched over to Sand Devils and I still have those tires in my garage. [They do not perform like Haulers though]

2. If you would like an alternative to Haulers with the same performance, check out Sand Tires Unlimited's Padla Brats. They are a molded, straight paddle that comes in 6 or 9 blades. They have a comp grooved option that gets the tire down to 7 pounds. I have been on that tire [20"] with an 8" blue label rim and I was very impressed. It was mounted on an 06 YFZ450. They seemed perfectly matched.

Here's a link:

[Padla Brat (http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/pb.html)

3. One tire that has not been mentioned and is in my opinion, the best DUNING tire is the Skat-Trak Glider.
I have a set of 5 paddle 21x12x8 on blue labels. They are the best sliders, they never bog your engine on climbs, they are very light, they provide great cushioning on jumps and offer great flotation which is a key to good duning.

4. Front tires / wheels make ALL the difference. Start off with a set of blue labels and get Sand Tires Unlimited's Razor Backs. They are as light like Skat-Trak's Mohawks but they are molded. They are VERY wide and provide the best flotation for a front sand tire. This is so important in loose sand found in big dunes. They don't sink from the weight of todays big 4 strokes or bigger riders. They are great on slip faces or side hilling. They have a single rib that is angled so that you can run them in either direction and 'adjust' the turning strength of your set-up.
If you don't want to spend the $$$ for the Razor Backs, GBC's Dune Trackers are a good alternative they are quite a bit heavier than the Razor backs but still offer great flotation because they are very wide.

5. Another reason I like the Padla Brats and the Gliders is that they don't throw roost like the Haulers and Sand Stars. If you dune in trains like us, that makes a huge difference!

Hope this help

FasstMidnightZ
07-02-2006, 07:40 AM
There was a guy at Little Sahara that I camped buy that had a yfz stock with 10 strait paddles. He dominated the drags! He also did trials too. Go for strait paddles for sure...Anyone tried AMS Aerospeed ?

crh41
07-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Hualers NO DOUBT ULTIMATE TRACTION:devil:

terboed
07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
gliders are for small quads. lt90's and stuff like that. i dono how you could go through a set of 2 sets of hualers in 6 rides. ive had the same set of med buff extremes for the last 2 years.... i guess oregon sand if diffrent than michigan sand.

250r4life
07-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by terboed
gliders are for small quads. lt90's and stuff like that. i dono how you could go through a set of 2 sets of hualers in 6 rides. ive had the same set of med buff extremes for the last 2 years.... i guess oregon sand if diffrent than michigan sand.

that and every hauler is different... they are all old tires glued together, and you dont know the quality of the tire of how well they were glued or...

trx440
07-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by terboed

They 'market' them towards 80cc-125cc quads but they come in full sizes. the only difference is the paddles are 5/8" instead of 7/8", I believe. They are great for general duning and steering with the throttle is an absolute blast. I prefer them and so do a few of my buddies now. Don't get me wrong, if you want to be competitive at the hill, you'll have to have a set of Haulers, Extremes, Rippers or Brats and I have a second set for just that.

As far as Silver lake, there is a ton of roots and driftwood below the sand, especially down by the lake. It is easy to catch that debris and puncture your Skats. Molded tires work better in that situation. The reason I said sets is because I used to run Edges and if you blow out a left you need to buy another set to get a left.

Sandgod4
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Mine are in my Sig.. The wife rides the Athena and doesn't like how 21" tires want to roll the quad in the corners. She would rather have slightly less floatation and better handling of the 20's. Me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, give me some 21's,, oh I already have those.. As already mentioned, Gliders leave NO roost, and that makes everybody happy..:D

My loaners are 20" Sand Devils. They work well and last forever and my friends can beat on them..

trx440
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Sandgod4
Mine are in my Sig.. The wife rides the Athena and doesn't like how 21" tires want to roll the quad in the corners. She would rather have slightly less floatation and better handling of the 20's. Me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, give me some 21's,, oh I already have those.. As already mentioned, Gliders leave NO roost, and that makes everybody happy..:D

My loaners are 20" Sand Devils. They work well and last forever and my friends can beat on them..

SandGod4,

I see in your sig you have a Hauler / Glider mix. Did you have Skat trak make those special or do they stock them? do they alternate between the 5/8 and 7/8 paddle??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sandgod4
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I had them custom made.. An 8 paddle Hauler is tooo much for all 450's.. Doesn't sound right, but untill you bolt on a tire that is less aggressive or less paddles you will never ever know.. 99% of people have their quad "Over Paddled"... The 20" Gliders on the Athena are double buffed,, again a custom order set-up, because it is an 8 paddle Glider.. I will never EVER use Haulers again. My Haluer/Glider mix kicks up a horrible roost. It is just plain NASTY!! I still use them though I like my Gliders better... More grunt everywhere w/ my Gliders..

trx440
07-05-2006, 09:47 PM

Besides the lack of roost, what makes you run Gliders? I think people here need to hear why Gliders are the best kept secret in the sand.

Also, why Mohawks over the Razor Backs? I have found better flotation in the wider Razor's. In fact I have had better luck with the heavier Dune Trackers than the Mohawks. Are they making a wider 22" in the mohawks now?? I will admit, the Mohawks are the best looking front sand tire on the market. If you do use the 21" Mohawks, do you run a steering stabilizer? I found that they steered to quick in the deep, dry sand.

Thanks for your feedback.

trx440
07-05-2006, 09:49 PM
I had them custom made.. An 8 paddle Hauler is tooo much for all 450's.. Doesn't sound right, but untill you bolt on a tire that is less aggressive or less paddles you will never ever know.. 99% of people have their quad "Over Paddled"... The 20" Gliders on the Athena are double buffed,, again a custom order set-up, because it is an 8 paddle Glider.. I will never EVER use Haulers again.

Interesting on the custom order. I agree whole heartedly on the Hauler theory. Don't try to tell that to "Hill-Shoot Nation" however.

Sandgod4
07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I find my Razors are faster steering then my Mohawks.. I jump alot and my Mohawks are less grabby on the landings.. Heres a link for you on Gliders.. The white Yoshi 450z is running a 10 paddle Glider in 21". The silver Athena the paddles in the sig.. On a side note. Skat Trak and Durability do not go hand in hand.

http://media.putfile.com/Athena-434z-vs-Yoshi450z-Both-ported-by-DAB-racing-at-Oldsmobile-Hill-at-Glamis

Here is my Dale against the Yoshi 450z.. I am runing my Hauler Glider mix on my Dale..

http://media.putfile.com/Yoshi-450z-vs-478-Dale

terboed
07-06-2006, 11:37 AM
you guys must do entierly diffrent dune riding than we do. ive tryed all diffrent kinds of dune tires and sizes. but for what i do, treeshots, hillshots, drag, trails and open dunning i like the 22" extremes the best. floatation is key in treeshots to keep your sprokets out of the sand. i do agree with you that there are alot of people that over paddle there quads. i run 8 paddles and im in the mid 60's for whp and still own quite a few on the hill that should of taken me. guys who cram 10+ paddles on 20" tires are just funny to me.

trx440
07-06-2006, 10:17 PM
I think you are running the right paddle for a 60hp banshee.

I would run 22" Razor Backs though on Blue Labels. There is a 4lb difference between each tire.

slvrlakerdr08
07-07-2006, 07:27 PM
i am running 20x10x10 skat trak haulers on .190 rims and 21x8x10 dune trackers in the front and they whip the thing around fast so u can run the trails and whip the rear end like nothing.

eerhard09
02-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey, I will bring this thread back from the dead as well since I have a question regarding front and rear combos. I recently picked up an Outlaw 525 and a set of rear Haulers (20x10x10 w/ 8 blades) on Douglas .160 wheels and I am looking to get a set of fronts for it. I like the Sand Star fronts but I am not really sure which front matches up well with the Haulers. Anyone running a hauler/sand star front combo? If so, how does it work out?

250r4life
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
i have seen lots of people running haulers with sand star fronts... i think that dual ribbed is by far the best out there...

mephyst
03-02-2007, 11:06 PM
The dual ribs track so well it's almost too much. I have them and it honestly feels like you are on a rail. It's like point what direction and it will take you there. lol.

z400roosteR
03-07-2007, 03:05 PM
IMO (i'm not going to get into the number of paddles....You know who you are!!) i run extreme haulers in the back and finally picked up some fronts.....Sand tire unlimited Razorbacks, OMG they are the ****.
Tried them on my buddys 450 and loved them. Single rib and very balloony(sp? lol) float like no other and they aren't too much traction but just enough.

As for the double rib itp's, personally i don't like them especially on a raptor....I tried that out hit a few corners in the trails hard and it abruptly hooked up VERY WELL LoL almost put me into the handle bars, wasn't expecting it.:devil:

250r4life
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
(i'm not going to get into the number of paddles....You know who you are!!)

lol ;)