PDA

View Full Version : Carbureator Flooding

Lpt1485
04-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey all,
I just purchased a 250r over the weekend and its needs some work, but thats another issue.

Anywho, I was washing it off and forgot that the gas line to the carb was not connected and I think some water might have gotten in the carb.

So I put everything back in order and it started right up and ran well, idled well and all of that. BUt the only thing is that as it was running, and any time the gas is turned on at the valve from the tank, the overflow well..overflows uncontrollable and gas starts pissing out of the carb.

Any solutions to this problem could be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good one.

Aceman
04-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Take the carb apart, check the float height, and blow out all passages with compressed air. You probably have some dirt keeping the needle and seat from sealing.

Lpt1485
04-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Thank you.

Aceman
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
No problem, fellow R riders got to look out for one another.:D

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Mine doesn't piss out but it has a leak. I blew it out and still no dice. Could I fix it by bending the clip that the float needle sits on to allow it to plug the hole more easily?

beerock
04-11-2006, 05:50 PM
wait no dont take it out just yet

ride it first try tapping the float bowl with a hammer to loosen up possible a stuck float bowl

when my bike sits the carb will leak until i tap the carb and ride it, then its fine

if it still leaks after then thats when you should take it off

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Too late. I already took it out and screwed it up more... read my post on the powertrain forum.

beerock
04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
all r related problems shoudl be poste din here
lol

Lpt1485
04-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Yeah, i started it up and ran it and held it open at full throttle, and the gas stopped pissing out. But once I shut it down the gas started coming out again. I guess I should just shut off the valve right as the engine shuts off.

I would like to ride it around, but the brakes all around are kaput on it. And no brakes on a 250r is a very bad thing, and i fear if I gave it a go, the least of my worries would be the carb.

Aceman
04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
You have to check your float to get it to stop overflowing like that. As far as your brakes they probably just need to be bled unless your pads are worn down. Bleeding your brakes is simple, if you search you'll find lots of threads explaining how to do it.

Lpt1485
04-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I was bleeding them the other day.
And I got the air out of the lines.

But it wasnt untill after I closed up the bleeder and began to try out the calipers that I realized that they were just locking on to the disk.

Any solution to this?

Lpt1485
04-12-2006, 02:15 PM
The pistons go out fine, but they will not retract.