PDA

View Full Version : best upgrade?

mr300ex
04-11-2006, 11:54 AM
What is the best thing to do to my 300 that dosent cost alot?

313racing
04-11-2006, 11:58 AM
idk exhaust maybe
but cheap and best thing to do is maybe get rear tires so you have a better hookup

bwamos
04-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Full Exhaust, filter, & rejet. (add cam in later).

Beyond that, you need to look at suspension and tires.

313racing
04-11-2006, 12:33 PM
tires cost 100 dollars
exhaust jet filter anywhere from 300-450

zeppelin
04-11-2006, 02:10 PM
its tough between suspension, pipe, filter, and tires.

spartacus
04-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I love the HMF system, the slip on is only like 200 bucks, and they sent me the jets for free. Then get a K&N air filter with an outerwears and take off your airbox lid. That set up should cost under $300. And that gives you a much lighter exhaust system (not to mention one of the best looking ones) and much better flow.

Sjorge450R
04-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by spartacus
I love the HMF system, the slip on is only like 200 bucks, and they sent me the jets for free. Then get a K&N air filter with an outerwears and take off your airbox lid. That set up should cost under $300. And that gives you a much lighter exhaust system (not to mention one of the best looking ones) and much better flow.

best looking??? You cant beat a semi-polished Supertrapp that has a black head pipe.

mr300ex
04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Im not sure what im going to do i know im going to get an exhaust and i already have the k&n air filter(the best filter in the world) and jets.

04-15-2006, 09:08 AM
bumper

Iliketogofast
04-15-2006, 09:13 AM
You can take the filter lid off and rejet. That doesn't cost a lot.

313racing
04-16-2006, 06:54 PM
sprocket 12 bucks
gets you just a little bit more power but for that low of a price hell why wouldn't u dissagree with it

Iliketogofast
04-16-2006, 07:46 PM
A sprocket doesn't give any power gains.

Sjorge450R
04-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast

wtf are you talking about. Sprokets are what changes how fast or go or how fast you accelorate.

rollie
04-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Honestly IMS/Roll Design foot pegs are one of the best investments ive put on my quad, so much more control with your feet planted instead of sliding off the pegs, or some handlebars:cool:

Ryanwolfe911
04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Supertrapp pipes are loud POS's. Get the HMF FULL system. Not the worthless slip ons. You can't upgrade to the HMF head pipe down the road, cause the inlet angle is all wrong. Trust me I have already wasted my money doing that.

313racing
04-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
wtf are you talking about
with a sprocket you are using your avaible chain link holes
say with a 13 tooth sprocket you grab 3 out of 5 teeth
and maybe wit a 15 tooth you grab 4 out 5 teeth
theres really not that big of change in power because the front sprocket isn't changing in diameter neither the rear but once again for that 12 bucks or so you are just transfering the power to your rear end more efficiently
just my 2 cents you dont have to like it or agree with it!!!

Iliketogofast
04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Unless he does a gearing change he doesn't need a new sprocket.

If he needs a gearing change, he would put new sprockets. But he doesn't need that, he needs more power.

If he lowers the gearing he will see a higher acceleration but have no topend on gears.

fluxcapacitor
04-18-2006, 07:38 AM
The 300ex's are geared way off from the factory. I put a 14/36 on mine and loved the change in performance. I noticed immediate topend speed. Changing sprockets can make a big difference in power or speed, depending on what you do. You are either shortening or lengthening your drivetrain. This will in effect, make the motor perform according to that. It is the same principle as getting a bigger set of rear tires in the back...you are covering more ground with each rotation with a taller tire, therefore it takes fewer rotations to cover the same about of distance than it would on a smaller tire. It is a difficult concept to grasp, and i don't FULLY understand it. But Sprockets can make a big difference.

313racing
04-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by fluxcapacitor
The 300ex's are geared way off from the factory. I put a 14/36 on mine and loved the change in performance. I noticed immediate topend speed. Changing sprockets can make a big difference in power or speed, depending on what you do. You are either shortening or lengthening your drivetrain. This will in effect, make the motor perform according to that. It is the same principle as getting a bigger set of rear tires in the back...you are covering more ground with each rotation with a taller tire, therefore it takes fewer rotations to cover the same about of distance than it would on a smaller tire. It is a difficult concept to grasp, and i don't FULLY understand it. But Sprockets can make a big difference.
thank you!!!
so a $12 sprocket does make a difference
and thats just about the most least exspensive item you can get for your chain driven quad

bwamos
04-18-2006, 11:26 AM
The 300ex's are geared way off from the factory. I put a 14/36 on mine and loved the change in performance.

Hmm.. 14/36 is way too tall for the stock size 22" tires. In my opinion, unless you ride a lot of flat straights.

Should be about right for 20's though.

If you're running 20" tires then you are almost back to stock gearing. (slightly taller, increased top speed by 1.8 mph).

fluxcapacitor
04-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I was running 21" Extreme Haulers in the sand and 20" holeshots in the dirt. Pretty much all we do is drag race here, so yea, long straight flats+14/36=sweetness

spartacus
04-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Ryanwolfe911
Supertrapp pipes are loud POS's. Get the HMF FULL system. Not the worthless slip ons. You can't upgrade to the HMF head pipe down the road, cause the inlet angle is all wrong. Trust me I have already wasted my money doing that.

HMF doesn't make a full system for the 300ex. You would have to do the white bros head pipe HMF combo.
And about this whole sprocket thing, sprockets do NOT add any power, they change the gearing which is great and all and maybe a good upgrade but they do not affect the HP of the quad in anyway. If you move up to a 14/36 sure youll gain top speed but your going to loose low end torque, its a trade off. But to say that a sproket is going to add "power" could be just as easily flipped around to say it causes a loss of power. The HP of the quad simply remains the same.

ontarioracer#33
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
hmf has recently started making 300ex full systems.

also i found if you do an exhaust if you want the most power from it go to a high rev cdi they make a huge difference best mod for the cash

spartacus
04-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by ontarioracer#33
hmf has recently started making 300ex full systems.

also i found if you do an exhaust if you want the most power from it go to a high rev cdi they make a huge difference best mod for the cash

Really? Their website still doenst list it then.

313racing
04-19-2006, 06:26 PM
na they dont update there website that often

300exOH
04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
If you look in their forum under 300ex they mention the HMF full system. It isn't cheap though. I think it's around $50 more than the Sparks full system.:eek2:

fluxcapacitor
04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
If you're gonna do a pipe, i'd have to say sparks is the way to go with a full system. Not only does it look sweet with the ceramic coating (stay's shiny, and no heat discoloration), but it's all one piece...so NO leaks. I was running a Cobra full system (junk) and switched to the Sparks and holy geezum, i noticed huge gains when i rejeted!:eek2:

300exOH
04-20-2006, 08:29 AM
If you're gonna do a pipe, i'd have to say sparks is the way to go with a full system. Not only does it look sweet with the ceramic coating (stay's shiny, and no heat discoloration), but it's all one piece...so NO leaks. I was running a Cobra full system (junk) and switched to the Sparks and holy geezum, i noticed huge gains when i rejeted!:eek2:

I noticed the same thing when I switched from the cobra POS to the Sparks. The cobra didn't do anything for mine except make it loud. I had very little top end with the cobra too. Now I have more than the rev limiter can handle. I'm working on that though. I just got some instructions on how to remove the rev limit on the stock CDI. (thanks 2muchquad)

bwamos
04-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I was running 21" Extreme Haulers in the sand and 20" holeshots in the dirt. Pretty much all we do is drag race here, so yea, long straight flats+14/36=sweetness

21" Extreme Haulers w/ 14:36 gearing on a stock motor? Ouch..
Poor thing.. lol. ;)

I only run 6 paddle gliders on my 330ex and that's jsut right. I'd loose way too much power on a set of extreme haulers. I wouldn't even put extremes on a 450. They are made for high hp machines.

fluxcapacitor
04-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Are you gonna post something negative about everything i say??? First off, it was to show the actual size of the tire, since you said my gearing was too tall for the stock 22's. Secondly, if you knew what the sand was like here, you'd run the same thing. Sand here is damp heavy, not like most places like Little Sahara. When i brought the 300 to LS, yes i bogged alot, and then switched to lower gearing, and still bogged. Basically my point is, why are you cut and pasting out of every thing i say and having something bad to say about it? Different things work for different people...

300exrider25
04-21-2006, 07:44 AM
the whole thing with sprockets is it does not increase or decrease horsepower it just changes the gear ratio it might seem that there is more/less horsepower becuase if you go with a 12 front then you will have quicker acceleration beacause it is easier for the motor to turn something that is smaller therefore better acceleration and for a bigger one you loose acceleration but you gain top end speedif you go bigger you need more power to handle to bigger gear and still have the same acceleration or better with more top end. For exhuast systems there is a site called team11moto.com it has good deals on exhaust systems i have 22 inch razr2's on mine it makes a big traction gain i can climb hills that my dad cant on his polaris 500 4x4 and when you start to loose traction due to the tires gettin worn just turn the tires around and you have a better biting edge and traction

bwamos
04-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Are you gonna post something negative about everything i say???

Nah.. wasn't trying to be negative. I just felt my poor quad crying... lol. Don't take it personally.

21's w/ a 14 isnt too bad.. it was the extreme hauler paddle that just seemes too tall for me. But, if it works for you, great.

It really all depends on the rider, and the riding situation.

I also was not aware that you were talking about a wet compact sand. When you mentioned paddles, I simply assumed your standard sand dunes condition (glamis, oregon dunes, etc.).

I just didnt want to see someone putting a 14:36 gear ratio on the stock diameter 21-22" tires with a stock motor. The first hill they hit.. could be scary when they run out of power, half way up.

It's nothing against you at all, bro. I just dont think the stock 300ex is mis-geared from the factory. With factory tires on it, it is just about perfect.. if not a tad to tall for most riding contitions.

Also I'm not cutting and pasting.. I'm too lazy for that.. I just hit the "reply button" and delete the part of the message I'm not responding too. ;)

Also I agree 100% with you on the assesment of the Sparks pipes. :D

Don't take anyhting I say personally, or as a direct attack. I tend to be a little argumentative at times. My appologies. Feel free to tell me to shut my pie hole. haha.

fluxcapacitor
04-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Its all good bwamos, i tend to be the same way and not clarify everything 100%. I have found out recently that alot of these websites are VERY objective. Some advice i got on z400central was absolutley bogus. So again, I apologize as well. Thanks