PDA

View Full Version : Simple Exhaust Question

pholt
04-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Is the sparks system worth the extra price over the HMF? I did a search and there was no definative answer.

I have a eseries slip on and i dont like the sound.
Does the head pipe help that much?

Is the LRD slip on any good? Did not find much on that topic?

Thanks

jsmith2232
04-11-2006, 09:28 AM
This isn't any of what you listed but i went with the fmf powercore 4 and fmf powerbomb header and I love the sound of it and the power.

rollie
04-11-2006, 03:17 PM
i would go with the LRD full system, there not overly loud and they sound really nice

kfxwizzard400
04-11-2006, 03:21 PM
fmf sucks id go with either sparks, hmf, lrd, or supertrapp, there all good pipes very well built

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Sparks is the best you can buy for an EX. Get the headpipe, it will give you a marginal horsepower gain, like 1 or 2 put it's worth it.

400exstud
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Sparks is the best you can buy for an EX. Get the headpipe, it will give you a marginal horsepower gain, like 1 or 2 put it's worth it.

Sparks doesn't make a slip on so you wouldn't have a choice but to get the headpipe.

I love my HMF. With the Sparks there is no quiet core so it remains ungodly loud. This can get you into sticky situations at sound checks if you have any.

bwamos
04-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by pholt
Is the sparks system worth the extra price over the HMF? I did a search and there was no definative answer.

The Sparks X-4 is $100 cheaper than the HMF Full system pipe.

Sparks X-4 Racing = $349 according to sparksracing.com
HMF Sport full system = $450.95 according to a must for the 300ex. (http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155)

Even if the increase from adding the header is only 2 hp.. on the 300ex that is a 13% power increase over stock (15 rwhp to 17 rwhp).

IMHO a full system pipe, and aftermarket filter are the best power improvement per $ you can get. Some may argue a cam+hc piston is better, but you can't really do a cam without fixing the intake and exuast first.

Also on the sparks if you get the spark arested version with diffuser disks ($50 upgrade), I beleive you can put in a supertrap quiet core.

But if he's looking to start out cheaper...
The best bet is to go HMF slipon, and add a FMF or WhiteBro's header later on. It's cheaper than the HMF full system (about the same as the sparks system), and very comparable in power to the sparks, and not quite as loud.

All depends on what his budget and sound limits dictate.

I've never ran a LRD on the 300ex so I couldn't tell you wether it's worth a crap or not on the 300. Great pipe on some other quads, but every pipe is different on different quads.

edit: As a note the Sparks is really best suited for modified engines, so if you plan on doing engine mods you may want to look into it.