PDA

View Full Version : Plastic renew alternative?

sandSStorm
04-11-2006, 08:09 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has experimented with chemicals ...

HAs anyone tried to refinish their own plastic without buying a kit? Does anyone know of what chemicals will smooth out the plastic?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried. I will be experimenting with my plastic soon..

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 08:28 AM
I would imagine that if you sanded it with advancing levels of fine grit paper then hit it with a heat gun it would get smooth as new.

sandSStorm
04-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Ive actually done that before. But there has to be some chemical that would make things simpler.

1fst400
04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
there is an easier way, about 450$ for new plastic.

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 09:20 AM
So sandstorm, how did the heatgun method work for you? Did it make them like new?

I just said that as an idea, I wasn't sure if it would actually work.

am_muscle
04-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by sandSStorm
Ive actually done that before. But there has to be some chemical that would make things simpler.

How did it look? Did it take long to do?

sandSStorm
04-11-2006, 01:45 PM
It didnt quite look like new but it sure looked good. The only thing is to not over heat the plastic or it will warp and change color. What i did was sand the plastic lightly with a 1000 grit sandpaper. Then used the heat gun to smooth it back down. It wasnt too bad.

Too bad I didnt take any pics. I sold that quad a year ago..

sandSStorm

#8red
04-11-2006, 05:23 PM
yeah - I used the same tech. to get rid of the plastic renew - really be careful not to get too hot - or after sanding - just use some armorall or proprep by silkolene - works pretty good

AtvMxRider
04-11-2006, 06:45 PM
:macho

sandSStorm
04-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by #8red
yeah - I used the same tech. to get rid of the plastic renew - really be careful not to get too hot - or after sanding - just use some armorall or proprep by silkolene - works pretty good

Exactly.,.... Dont use too much heat.... You would not like the aftermath..

But has anyone found any other chemical that can be used? Im sure there has to be somthing that will melt the plastic and when applied in small quantities would do the trick....

Ill let you all know if I find something....