PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating Question?

schulte_85
04-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I powdercoated my rims, but they are flaking off. They were used. Should I have sandblasted them first? My friend did this and his are holding up great. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem?

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 06:51 AM
It should never come off without some heavy abuse. If you paid for it I would make them do it again.

If you did it yourself they have to be completely stripped. of whatever was on there. There could be any kind of residue that is keeping it from sticking.

sandSStorm
04-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Hello.

I do custom powdercoating and have a bit of imput.

The wheels should have been sandblasted or scuffed prior to coating. That insures that the powdercoat has a surface it can adhere to. Also, after sandblasting the surface has to be cleaned so no other residues are left. You can use grease and wax remover for this or (what I recomend) a brake parts cleaner solvent.

My 2 cents

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Yeah. Like he said, if you don't clean the surface completely before the coat, you're just sticking the powder to a flim of whatever was on the rim.

In other words, you're painting a film of dust, and the powder is sticking to that dust that is on the wheel. The powder is baked to the dust, and will stick the dirt together but only sticks to the wheel where there is a hole in the dirt.

So the coat will come off just as easily as if you washed the dirt off.

schulte_85
04-12-2006, 07:41 AM
yep sound's good. I guess I will have to redo them. thanks guys