PDA

View Full Version : Fixing rear bearings on a 300ex

07-31-2002, 02:30 PM
Dose anybody know how 2 take off the rear axle on a 300ex to fix the bearings. If any 1 knows of any websites that would help please list them thanx!:square

330exracer122
07-31-2002, 02:52 PM

"BLAHH"300!!
07-31-2002, 03:04 PM
go look at their web-site, in the schematics, and look for the axel/swing-arm parts. that'll give you some idea as to what needs to be loosened. i just took mine apart about a month and a half ago. but i can't remember exaclty how to tell you to do it.
i do remember there being a litle "C" CLIP thats kinda hard to get off. and it has to come off before the axel will slide out, or maybe it has to come off before any of the bolts will come loose.
go out and start undoing stuff. just remember what goes where and when. the axel slides out from the sprockett side. meaning you have to take off the rear brake's and all that and let the right side of the axel slide through the swingarm. i think you can do it the other way, but i didn't...

it's not hard man, i did mine without a manuel. just going to service honda's site and looking at the picture's.

stangboy300ex
06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Here are some hints to make things easier... Spend $15.00 on a Clymer Manual..
Another tip.. I have a habit of getting excitied and rushing..Take your time.
You do NOT need the special Honda 56mm Wrench they tell you. The best deal is to go to a discount store (Big Lots etc) and buy (2) cheap Pipe wrenches ($4.88 each). These will remove the axle nut with no sweat.
Also.. I was rushing and forgot to remove the little bolt on the back of the housing. This bolt is called the "Bearing holder stopper bolt". RDon't forget to remove it. I had the holder almost out and thought it was stuck. Once I took the Bolt out (that I overlooked ) the carrier slid right out.
Be sure to clean all parts with Brake cleaner and then coat with lithium based grease.
Good Luck

Cody_300ex
06-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by stangboy300ex
You do NOT need the special Honda 56mm Wrench they tell you. The best deal is to go to a discount store (Big Lots etc) and buy (2) cheap Pipe wrenches ($4.88 each). These will remove the axle nut with no sweat.
Also.. I was rushing and forgot to remove the little bolt on the back of the housing. This bolt is called the "Bearing holder stopper bolt". RDon't forget to remove it. I had the holder almost out and thought it was stuck. Once I took the Bolt out (that I overlooked ) the carrier slid right out.
Be sure to clean all parts with Brake cleaner and then coat with lithium based grease.
Good Luck

think this thread is a little old?? :huh

04'400ex'er
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
think this thread is a little old?? :huh fo real. This dude has had new bearings for like 2 years. Don't go searching through old threads like that, cuz it's a waste of time.Just answer the new ones.

06-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
fo real. This dude has had new bearings for like 2 years. Don't go searching through old threads like that, cuz it's a waste of time.Just answer the new ones. :rolleyes: chill out....

UglyMotha™
06-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Good Luck

took a whole two years but now this dude has the info needed to change his carrier bearings http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

zephead400ex
06-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
fo real. This dude has had new bearings for like 2 years. Don't go searching through old threads like that, cuz it's a waste of time.Just answer the new ones.

At least the new guy knows how to search , unlike many of our other fellow members.

04'400ex'er
06-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
At least the new guy knows how to search , unlike many of our other fellow members. True, but he was not searching to answer his questions like most people on here don't know how to do, He was searching through and saw this that he new the answer too, and answered it. But I'm sure he will help out others that do a search to fix the bearings.;) :rolleyes:

stangboy300ex
06-10-2004, 07:02 PM
I really don't think you get it. The point of the Search is to look up past posts that may contain information needed for current projects.
The original post may be old, but it is still relative and since the 300 ex has not changed, the old post iinformation also applies to the current models.
I have learned a great deal from searching older postings. The saying that "experience is priceless " proves this point.
I think it was the the younger users who had a problem with my reply to the older post. When you are young, you lack the experience needed to avoid making mistakes that in the future will be avoided by past knowledge. Confused.. You won't be after this episode of..Soap.

04'400ex'er
06-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I really don't think you get it. The point of the Search is to look up past posts that may contain information needed for current projects.
The original post may be old, but it is still relative and since the 300 ex has not changed, the old post iinformation also applies to the current models.
I have learned a great deal from searching older postings. The saying that "experience is priceless " proves this point.
I think it was the the younger users who had a problem with my reply to the older post. When you are young, you lack the experience needed to avoid making mistakes that in the future will be avoided by past knowledge. Confused.. You won't be after this episode of..Soap. You're right about the reason to search. The 300ex is irelevant. He was not trying to find out how to remove the carrier, He was telling a guy how to fix the bearings that asked the question 2 yrs. ago.:huh You don't get it.

trx300ex rider7
07-08-2004, 02:37 PM
I have taken the axle completly out, and know I am stuck and dont know what to do if you guys could help that would be appreciated.

stangboy300ex
07-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by trx300ex rider7
I have taken the axle completly out, and know I am stuck and dont know what to do if you guys could help that would be appreciated.

Stuck where?
After the Axle comes out , the next step is to rremove the "Bearing carrier". To remove the carrier, you need to take out the "STOP screw" in the middle of the Housing. After the screw (bolt) is removed, you will have to push the carrier out through the housing. It comes out on the sproket side. You may have to pound it a bit with a rubber mallet or wooden 2x3 .
Once the Carrier is out, you need to pop out the seals and the bearings will come out. Hope that helps.