PDA

View Full Version : I need engine help guys!!!!Badly!

rhandw69
10-05-2001, 12:50 PM
WHen i take off in 1st gear and rev it high, the motor begins to cut out, pop and sputter.

When Im in top gear wide open , it does the same.
Now I have the 416 kit, with no air box, wb slip on and k&n. I just called Powroll and what they told me was that it was cutting out on top end because it was to rich. Hmmmm?
She said that i really only wanted to be around the 148-155 main.Hmmmmm?
WHen at full throttle it cuts out and pops, when I back off the throttle a bit it stops and runs fine.
Now when I take off in 1st to drag someone, it does this when my rev is really high.
What in your opinion may be causing this.
WHen i ran the 155 main jet, the plug was realy lean looking and plus it ran extremely hot. When i jumped up to the 160, it was alittle cooler and the plug was somewhat darker.
Now with the 170, its alot cooler, but im so tired of buying plugs that ive quite looking.
How will I know when Im too rich?
THanks
Rhan

Guy400
10-05-2001, 01:06 PM
Definitely sounds like you're too rich. Pull the lid off of the airbox and see if the problem goes away or at least gets better. With detergents and things of this nature in today's gas the old plug read becomes less and less reliable.

tinner
10-05-2001, 02:59 PM
I have mine built up with the stock bore and I went through that same crap.I ended up with a 162 with the lid on and a 165 w/o.I think the next size up is a 168,I would go down in size 'til it evens out.Good luck,Jim

Leo
10-06-2001, 05:35 AM
your running NO air box, and a slip-on, and they told you to run a 148 mj....??

my intake is completely stock, w/ a PC T4 slip-on, and it seems to like a 162 mj the best (1000ft ~70 degrees)...

sometimes running NO airbox is worse than running with just the lid off.. for giggles try putting your stock airbox back on without the lid.. you could also try a bit of choke when it's popping see if it cleans up at all..

Leo