PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on lawn tractors.

T.Hopp
04-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I am buying a house on two acres of lawn, therefore I will need a lawn tractor. I never owned one so I don't know what to look for. The ground is flat with only a few trees scattered about. I'm not looking to here about your dream tractor w/all the attatchments and so on.
How many horse power is reasonable for two acres?
What size mowing deck?
How about manufacturer? Home Depot, Lowes and similar stores carry Deere and Cub Cadet. I can't help thinking that the models sold in these stores are made at less quality in order to sell cheap w/ the brand name on it.

I would probably install a plow for snow also unless I find a utility quad pretty cheap instead.

Thanks for your input.

04-10-2006, 02:54 PM
get a craftsman from sears. they are bulletproof

Giz400ex
04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, it depends on what brand you like??? I like the Deere's but if have 2 acres, I would go with the G series thats if they still make them??? This year they eliminated the "L" series which is a step down from the "G". I have a "L" series with a 48" deck and it takes me about 1 hr to do my 1 acre, so that should give ya idea:D

DieselBoy
04-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Eh, personally... 2 acre's isn't too bad, but if you want something that get's the job done well and you don't have alot of time obviously you should go with a larger tractor. I'd say 19.5hp and up with a 46'' or larger deck. You may want to look at a zero turn mower, they are quick and effective for cutting large properties, as well as going around alot of thing's easily.

John deeres, Toro's, Simplicitys, etc. are good mowers, and you should give them a looking into. I warn you john deere parts are really expensive though.

i saw a john deere lawn tractor the other day for $3,395 at home depot, it wasnt that big either :eek2:

quads14589
04-10-2006, 03:00 PM
i got a craftsman from sears its like 6 yrs old and runs like a charm

tar
04-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Get a Dixie Chopper the one we have is 24hp with a five foot deck. It has a Honda motor so it will run forever. Ours has like 700 hours on it. I have to mow about 4 and one half acres with it and it takes me about 1 hour 30 to 2 hours

400exstud
04-10-2006, 06:52 PM
John Deere garden trackters are real nice. Their lawn trackters seem to lack the quality of their garden trackters but get whatever is in your budget.

Tom TRX250R
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I would recommend a John Deere or Cub Cadet about 22 Horse 46''-50" cut. Just remember to go with a hydrostat transmission vs the shift style. It is much more convienant with this style when going forward to reverse. I used to work at Lowes in the inside lawn and garden department which deals with lawn mowers, chain saws, pressure washers, etc. so if you have any more specific questions, let me know.

NYKFXRIDER06
04-10-2006, 07:24 PM
get a craftsman.i had 1 for 10 yrs and it was the best.lohns and cadets aere to pricy.i have to cut about 7 acres and i just go a new craftsman for 1200 17hp 42in cut model lt200. plus when u blow a craftsman motor they are easy to fix.dont tie fishing line to the govenor to make it go faster i have learned from expierence.

DieselBoy
04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
dont tie fishing line to the govenor to make it go faster i have learned from expierence.

LOL!!!! So much funny stuff on this site!

04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I live on about 5 acres, and when I used to mow it with a Yahzoo (sp), it used to take me about 3-4 hours. It takes skill and speed to get a yard done. :D

04-10-2006, 09:10 PM
The mower I now mow with is a beast. I'll have to find out what it is tomorrow, but to give you an example of it being a beast. It is now hauling a wagon full of turkey manure. About half a ton of manure. It's back tires are about the size of the wheels of the wagon itself. It's crazy.

416exmx
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by NYKFXRIDER06
get a craftsman.i had 1 for 10 yrs and it was the best.lohns and cadets aere to pricy.i have to cut about 7 acres and i just go a new craftsman for 1200 17hp 42in cut model lt200. plus when u blow a craftsman motor they are easy to fix.dont tie fishing line to the govenor to make it go faster i have learned from expierence.

Your mowing 7 acres with a 42" cut craftsman :eek2: I have a 4 acre yard and a 25hp 60" commercial Bush Hog zero-turn and I think that takes a while.

lil400exman
04-10-2006, 11:09 PM
for real durability and a tractor with some real oomph look at older wheelhorses or cub cadets or even some John Deere's. Most of them will have a Koheler Magnum 12-14 HP single cylinder engine. These engines are absolutely bulletproof. They run forever hardly burn any oil and easy to work on.

Sure this may not sound like alot of power but trust me the way the older mowers were built (with real gear reductions and some guts) these tractors will easily outlast anything you can buy new and usually at a lesser cost.

Another plus with these mowers is usually the kinks will be worked out of them. With a brand new el-cheapo lowes or craftsman mower they usually have many quality defects and poor build quality. A older true "garden tractor" will hold up much better to long hard mowing and pulling and plowing.

I dont care what you all say but a older true IH cub cadet or real JD or wheelhorse will EASILY outlast and outwork any of the new mowers.

I collect rare and unique garden tractors. You wouldnt believe what with proper gearing and a good Ag tires a 4hp K-91 Koehler can do!!!

I own a RJ-58 wheelhorse,1962 amigo 500, just pruchased cub cadet 107.

Also a manual transmission is the best for real work. When digging down with a 12 or 14" plow (which these machines are fully capable of!) a manual will stay much cooler and pull with ease. A heavy load or plowing a manual is best. Its not hard to shift a manual either. Dont let the baffoons here who own a craftsman tell you about mowers they have never even touched!

;)

DieselBoy
04-11-2006, 12:09 AM
far as i know john deere went back to briggs for there new ones except for the big boys...

the new john deere's seem so cheaply made, though, compared to what they used to be. everything is PLASTIC and is floppy I dont really know what to think of there lawn tractors with the cheapness, everythings built SO CHEAPLY now.

i got an older (97 or somethin) YARD MAN YT1646, this thing is humungous. it has hydrostatic transmission and 16hp twin which i love, and the transmission is bloody strong compared to my friend's john deere which whines and stops when you go up a hill with a load.

prepracing
04-11-2006, 12:51 AM
well if its flat and few trees with and 2acre area, I would think you want atleast 48" wide deck so your not mowing all day long. Also if its flat and not ruff land then mostlikely a lighter duty mower with anywhere from 12 - 18 HP would be all you need. And your right about the mowers sold at Lowes...John Deere and Cub Cadet both have lowes contracts to build a lower grade lawnmower, but don't take that wrong they are still great mowers. Just different models than you would find at an actual dealer, Just check around and see whats in your area ( definately check the classifieds for used ones ). Also not sure if you have atractor supply in your area, but they sell Husky and Toro mowers that are good mowers and not quite as expensive as JD's. I have one of those old WheelHorses that "lil400exman" was referring to and the one feature I like the best is that the grass shoots straight out the back of the deck, you never have to worry about it piling up shooting out to the side like the rest of the mowers do

89'350RX
04-11-2006, 04:52 AM
If you want a tractor that will last you your lifetime, buy a JD 400 series tractor with a 54 or 60" deck.

I have a JD 445 EFI 22HP liquid cooled, PTO, hydro drive, hydro lift, etc. . . purrs like a kitten and is trouble free.

Stay away from the Lowes, Home Depot type places. 2 acres is quite a bit for a lawn tractor. Garden tractors are much more HD built.

jeremy_283
04-11-2006, 05:29 AM
i got a 10 year old murray..... bearings rusted out on its mowing deck then its transmission did..... took the transmission apart and fixed it......... got some off brand mower thats around 20 years old and my neighbors were throwin it out but i fixed it and it mows now

lil400exman
04-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
far as i know john deere went back to briggs for there new ones except for the big boys...

the new john deere's seem so cheaply made, though, compared to what they used to be. everything is PLASTIC and is floppy I dont really know what to think of there lawn tractors with the cheapness, everythings built SO CHEAPLY now.

i got an older (97 or somethin) YARD MAN YT1646, this thing is humungous. it has hydrostatic transmission and 16hp twin which i love, and the transmission is bloody strong compared to my friend's john deere which whines and stops when you go up a hill with a load.

yes in 1998 i believe John Deere contracted its name out to MTD along with cub cadet. These two mowers sold at Lowe's, Home Depot and TSC are all the same cept with a different hood (some not even that!) and colors. THESE ARE NOT WHAT IM REFERRING TO!

Im referring to tractors that are pre 1985. These tractors have true high strength steel frames, limited slip diff's and some real ability to work. The hydrostatics on these machines arent bad, but i still prefer a manual gearbox. Still gets more power to the ground efficently!
;)