PDA

View Full Version : Starter Switch Wiring

BEN7
04-10-2006, 01:17 PM
THIS MIGHT SEEM LIKE A DUMB QUESTION TO SOME, BUT I AM TRYING TO DO AWAY WITH THE BULKY HEADLIGHT/STOCK STARTER BUTTON ON AN 02 400 EX. WHICH WIRES DO I HAVE TO TAP INTO TO HAVE IT SET UP TO USE A DIRTBIKE KILL SWITCH AS MY STARTER BUTTON.. THANKS...

bansheemorphine
04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
if you follow the wire that come from the motor (there should be 5 of them) 4 of them go into a like big clip and one of them which is a black wire i think is all by iit self on a connecter that is the wire you use you just wire one end of it to that and the other to a ground

400exbirdy
04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BEN7
THIS MIGHT SEEM LIKE A DUMB QUESTION TO SOME, BUT I AM TRYING TO DO AWAY WITH THE BULKY HEADLIGHT/STOCK STARTER BUTTON ON AN 02 400 EX. WHICH WIRES DO I HAVE TO TAP INTO TO HAVE IT SET UP TO USE A DIRTBIKE KILL SWITCH AS MY STARTER BUTTON.. THANKS...

you can ,but NOT with a dirtbike killswitch puch button BECAUSE the killswitch will act like a ground, its the opposite of a starter switch!.
i am doing exacly the same thing on my ex. i thought about aftermarket switch, but coudnt find one that bolt on the handlebar. so i thought about buying a cheap puch button and make a braket that will fit the handlebar or the clutch perch.
the wires are the same as the ones on the original push button.

good luck with ur quad :)

04-10-2006, 07:42 PM
i have to agree fully with ^^^^^^^^^

JOEX
04-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I belive the yz kill button works because it doesn't ground to the bars like some others.

I don't know the details but many have done this mod. Search around a bit and you'll find the real info;)

Chino886
04-10-2006, 08:19 PM
You can use any dirtbike kill switch for the start button, I am using the KX kill switch. If I remember correctly there is two wires for the clutch switch (wire them together), then there is two for the starter (wire them to the two wires that come off the kill switch), if you want a light switch, go buy a two way toggle switch (one way for low beam and one way for high beam).

My best advise is to check out the wiring diagram in the back of the service manual, it will tell you all the wires.

Hope that helps.

Chino886