PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Valve Springs With Cam And Rev Box?

pmptrk
04-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Any opinions with reasoning would be helpful. Im trying to decide if this is needed or not.

Chino886
04-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I think it will all depend on how "aggressive" of a cam you are running.

I am running the stage II Hot Cam with the stock springs and I am also running an aftermarket CDI. I have ran it since July with no problems, but I also don't let it bounce off the limiter for any reason.

pmptrk
04-10-2006, 09:35 PM
will the stiffer springs rob much power?

pmptrk
04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
I finally decided am goin to run the new hotcams stage II. I would rather be safe than sorry with the springs, but if the hd springs are overly safe, not necessary, and rob power- I probably won't use them. Any other input?

GPracer2500
04-17-2006, 11:08 PM
My first thought was that if you have them, I'd use them. I'd guess that any parasitic losses from running HD valve springs could easily be made up for by keeping your chain and axle bearings in top condition or any number of other small things.

I did wear out a set of stock springs--it took many years, but upon inspection at rebuild time most of them were beyond their service limits. My only point is that valve springs do wear out and HD springs should withstand equal abuse for longer.

But my second thought concerned using HD valve springs without hardfaced rockers and camshaft. Would those additions be necessary with HD springs? Would HD springs cause trouble at the cam/rocker interface at startup (before an oil film is established between those parts)? I'm not sure about that...something to consider maybe. Perhaps you should contact HotCams and see what they say about using their cams with HD springs.