PDA

View Full Version : holeshots

07-31-2002, 12:34 PM
how do you guys get the best holeshots, 1st or 2nd gear with how much throttle? i know to lean foward to keep the front end down a bit and then get your body on the rear end so you get max. traction. but do you "pop" the clutch like i see in mx and gncc or do you guys feather it out?

thanx

07-31-2002, 05:55 PM
bump

07-31-2002, 07:13 PM
There isn't really a perfect answer to your question, because the best starting technique really depends on the traction available and how your quad is set up (gearing, tires, and motor). The way I find the best starting technique (which will vary from track to track due to different types of soil and moisture) is to try a couple starts in 1st and 2nd gear and see which gives the best launch. I then try different body positioning (forward or rearward) and see which gives the best combination of traction and keeping the front end close to the ground. I will also try starting at different RPMs, to see which works best. When I release the clutch I dont "pop" it but I don't "slip" it either, I release it quickly, but just slow enough to keep it from "popping". The only time I will "slip" a clutch off the start is in really muddy conditions. I never "pop" the clutch off the start though, because in most cases one of two things will happen; you'll lose traction and spin wildly, or you'll hook up and do a big wheelie. Somewhere in the combination of the things you try, you should find one combo that will provide a good launch without excessive wheelspin, but will spin just enough to keep the front end close to the ground. After the launch you've already got the difficult part over with, so it's just time to slide backwards on the seat for more traction as you speed up, and pull your shifts right at the engine's peak power or slightly before the peak. Now is when your horsepower is going to make you or break you.

Also, don't watch the guy beside you, it will just goof you up. Just concentrate on what you're doing.

gncc025
08-01-2002, 08:39 PM
I have never failed to get a holeshot in any harescramble event.If its a short starting area that goes straight into woods I start off and dump the clutch in 1st gear.If its a long field you a starting in I start off in second and dump the clucth.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!